+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Early arrival to Canada

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Last week I received an email from my college (Fanshawe) "encouraging" all international students to arrive between August 2 and 22 (not before or after those dates). Supposedly, the later date of August 22 is in case you still need to quarantine for 14 days, you'll be free for September 6, which is when all trainings start before classes. This shouldn't be a problem as I've already completed my vaccination program, I should just do the three day quarantine while my negative COVID result arrives.

I checked my flight options and I found a bargain to travel on August 23, exactly one day after from what they recommend. I contacted my representative and she just says "I should comply with the colleges recommendation". Do you guys think I may get in trouble if I "don't comply"? I really want to save some bucks and travel on August 23. Any recommendations?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Last week I received an email from my college (Fanshawe) "encouraging" all international students to arrive between August 2 and 22 (not before or after those dates). Supposedly, the later date of August 22 is in case you still need to quarantine for 14 days, you'll be free for September 6, which is when all trainings start before classes. This shouldn't be a problem as I've already completed my vaccination program, I should just do the three day quarantine while my negative COVID result arrives.

I checked my flight options and I found a bargain to travel on August 23, exactly one day after from what they recommend. I contacted my representative and she just says "I should comply with the colleges recommendation". Do you guys think I may get in trouble if I "don't comply"? I really want to save some bucks and travel on August 23. Any recommendations?
I don’t think you would get in trouble if you travel on the 23rd of August. While CBSA still has the authority to admit or refuse travellers, there is nothing wrong in travelling a couple of weeks before school starts. CBSA have issues with coming in too early. But I’ve never heard of students being refused entry simply because the first day of class has started. Let’s assume you need to quarantine for 14 days after arrival, and you miss the first day of class. Your school cannot penalize you for a single day of missed classes. Now, if you don’t need to quarantine after the 3 days mandatory (assuming it is still mandatory), then you won’t miss your school opening. Also, it’s just a school recommendation. it’s not like a law written in stone.

Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: andrews17

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
How about me...program start date 16th Aug, arrival in Canada 14th July...will they put me and my cat back on a plane?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Leng_07

Jun 15, 2021
How about me...program start date 16th Aug, arrival in Canada 14th July...will they put me and my cat back on a plane?
Hi, my program starts on August 13th and I plan to enter Canada on July 13th. I think roughly a month before shouldn't be a problem.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I don’t think you would get in trouble if you travel on the 23rd of August. While CBSA still has the authority to admit or refuse travellers, there is nothing wrong in travelling a couple of weeks before school starts. CBSA have issues with coming in too early. But I’ve never heard of students being refused entry simply because the first day of class has started. Let’s assume you need to quarantine for 14 days after arrival, and you miss the first day of class. Your school cannot penalize you for a single day of missed classes. Now, if you don’t need to quarantine after the 3 days mandatory (assuming it is still mandatory), then you won’t miss your school opening. Also, it’s just a school recommendation. it’s not like a law written in stone.

Just my opinion, though.
Thanks for your reply, you're right on your points. I finally decided to buy my flight for August 23. If I get in trouble, you're to blame XD. Just kidding.

Reactions: rogelcorral

eluna

Dec 25, 2021
Good day everyone!
I just want to clarify regarding coming to Canada 2 months earlier before class program start.
My medical validity as indicated in my LOI will be expiring July, so I was confused if I can come to Canada before it expires, probably 2 months before class start.
Also, is it a valid reason when questioned by the officer at the port? (coming earlier to catch up the validity of my medical)

Or, should I take new medical exam and how the process?

Thank you. Hope someone can help and enlighten me. Thank you in advance.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Good day everyone!
I just want to clarify regarding coming to Canada 2 months earlier before class program start.
My medical validity as indicated in my LOI will be expiring July, so I was confused if I can come to Canada before it expires, probably 2 months before class start.
Also, is it a valid reason when questioned by the officer at the port? (coming earlier to catch up the validity of my medical)

I would say your best bet is to take a new medical exam. It's the safe option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day everyone!

Is there a reason you want to come that early? Do you have the extra funds to show you can support yourself? That will be the concern.