+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duration of stay in Canada

mmakshay67

Apr 24, 2019
Hi,

I have got my PR card and have come back to my home country for a vacation. As far as I know, if I am a PR I have to maintain a minimum of 2 years of stay in a period of 5 years. My vacation might extend for more than 6 months. In that case, should I let the Canadian govt/embassy know for how long I am planning to stay outside Canada or should I only make sure I return to that country within the date that guarantees a minimum of 2 year stay there.

Is there a manadatory rule to inform the immigration on how long I plan to stay outside the country or is there any other conditions I have to fulfill apart from the minimum 2 year stay to ensure that my PR is valid.

Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You never need to inform anyone that you are leaving the country or how long you plan to , you are free to come and go as you please.

As a PR you only need to be able to demonstrate either when you renew your PR card or should you leave the country and come back in that you continue to meet the 2 out of 5 rule. A new PR for example could stay away for near 3 years and still return in time to meet the 2 out of 5 rule. After initial 5 years from landing the 5 years becomes a rolling 5 years.

Whenever you return to Canada general advice is only answer questions asked by CBSA honestly but not to volunteer anything extra. So for example if not asked about residency or how long you have been away do not volunteer the information.

Always have your PR card with you when you travel outside or Canada given without it or a PRTD you would not be able to board a plane back.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be informing your provincial healthcare system if you will be gone over 6 months. They will freeze your card so your number can’t be used fraudulently. You should also read up on the residency requirement to be eligible for health coverage in your province.

Reactions: Bs65

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You should be informing your provincial healthcare system if you will be gone over 6 months. They will freeze your card so your number can’t be used fraudulently. You should also read up on the residency requirement to be eligible for health coverage in your province.
Good point I missed that requirement which was obvious given planned absence , well spotted.