Submitted in EE profile 8.5
Med's Done....
Passed 05/05/2015
Passport Req..
13/10/2015
VISA ISSUED...
23/10/2015
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I last came here prior to my getting the EE ITA. And now here I am, a citizen trying to bring my wife to Canada. Oh, how times have changed! But thank God!

I know that IRCC now recognizes dual intent application which in my case would have been a visitor visa application + spousal sponsorship. Until last week the processing time for those two application for a candidate from Bangladesh was showing 2 month and 12 months respectively.

Last night I saw (to my shock!) that the visitor visa processing times are now 350 odd days. I hope it's some kind of a typo and not really the new processing time. Could any of the senior folks here suggest me what should I do?

Secondly, I have started the visitor visa application already. When I try to open a second application from the my application portal it only gives me the option to apply for EE and CEC but no option for family class sponsorship. Could anyone advice how do I get around this?

TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I last came here prior to my getting the EE ITA. And now here I am, a citizen trying to bring my wife to Canada. Oh, how times have changed! But thank God!

I know that IRCC now recognizes dual intent application which in my case would have been a visitor visa application + spousal sponsorship. Until last week the processing time for those two application for a candidate from Bangladesh was showing 2 month and 12 months respectively.

Last night I saw (to my shock!) that the visitor visa processing times are now 350 odd days. I hope it's some kind of a typo and not really the new processing time. Could any of the senior folks here suggest me what should I do?

Secondly, I have started the visitor visa application already. When I try to open a second application from the my application portal it only gives me the option to apply for EE and CEC but no option for family class sponsorship. Could anyone advice how do I get around this?

TIA
Ignore the time frames for TRV, this is mostly looking back to covid times when the vast majority were not being processed at all.

There is no online application for family class, only paper.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Note though that dual intent does not mean that it will be approved. It still make sense to apply for TRV but it's not a guarantee.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

TIA
Dual intent has been around for many years now (it predates the creation of the Express Entry) and isn't new. My two cents is to stay away from using this specific term in any TRV application or other temporary visa (or when speaking with CBSA at a border crossing / airport). It seems to generally create more problems than it solves.

Unfortunately dual intent does not (and never has) guaranteed that a temporary spouse visa is going to be approved. When you apply for the TRV for your spouse, your spouse should show ties to their home country such as employment, property ownership (if possible) and other assets. If your spouse has traveled to other countries requiring visas in the past, make sure this is included in the application as well. Basically your spouse needs to try to demonstrate that they are a genuine visitor to Canada and are not using the TRV to move to Canada long term.

You cannot apply for spousal sponsorship online. Applications are paper-based / mail-in only.