+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship Canada - Germany

KaTSeb

Feb 6, 2023
Hi,

Is there anyone here who recently got his "Beibehaltigungsgehnemiging" from Germany? I've applied but they are asking for more proof why I need/want the Canadian Citizenship.
I've been in Canada for 11 years now and have a family here( Canadian fiancee and son). I would like to have the CA Citizenship so I'm able to come back to Canada after we may have lived in Europe for x amount of years. We are planning to move to Europe within the next 2 years but at this point I don't really have any proof to provide to Germany.
My son is dual citizen as we applied for his German Citizenship before he turned one year old.
Does anyone here can provide any tips or recommendations for my situation? Thanks!!!

Reactions: snoopyta

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
If I got you correctly, you are German who wants to apply for Canadian citizenship?

Canada is asking you why you want to apply to become a Canadian?

KaTSeb

Feb 6, 2023
Hi, yes that is correct. They are asking for more reasons why it’s beneficial to me to become Canadian Citizen.
i though having a family( husband & son) in Canada and having my entire family( parents, sister, grandparents etc.) in Germany are enough reasons

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi, yes that is correct. They are asking for more reasons why it’s beneficial to me to become Canadian Citizen.
i though having a family( husband & son) in Canada and having my entire family( parents, sister, grandparents etc.) in Germany are enough reasons
Hmmm.. is it not other way around? i.e. Germany is asking why do you need Canadian citizenship... If I understand correctly, Germany asking why do you want to keep both the citizenship ...

I just got curious and was reading bit about Beibehaltigungsgehnemiging . Till now I thought there are only two type of countries, those allow dual citizenship and those who are not. I did not know there is a third kind which selectively allows certain people to obtain citizenship from other countries. Interesting... Looks like only way is for you to show strong ties to Germany in order for it to approve your Beibehaltigungsgehnemiging.

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to say.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Per the in-browser translation of the German website https://canada.diplo.de/ca-de/konsularservice/03-Staatsangehoerigkeit/beibehaltung/1106156#:~:text=Wir weisen darauf hin, dass die Beantragung einer,das Antragsverfahren noch für Fragen zu Ihrer Staatsangehörigkeit., it seems your issue is that you need to prove, as a German living in in Canada, any exceptional disadvantages you would encounter and cannot overcome without acquiring Canadian citizenship. Exceptional disadvantages do not include needing to vote in Canadian elections (that is, you are not required to vote in Canadian elections as a Canadian) or needing a Canadian passport to enter Canada (which you can continue to do with your PR card).

If you cannot prove any disadvantages right now, then per the same website, the only solution is to continue living in Canada for another 9 years as a PR. When you have resided for at least 20 years, then the requirement for disadvantageous proof is no longer required:

"Nach einem Aufenthalt in Kanada von 20 Jahren oder mehr geht das Bundesverwaltungsamt davon aus, dass der Antragsteller ein „ausgeprägtes, abschließendes Integrationsbedürfnis“ hat. In diesem Fall brauchen Sie keine Nachweise zu Ihren Nachteilen in Kanada aufführen, sollten jedoch Ihre Gründe für den angestrebten Erwerb der kanadischen Staatsangehörigkeit und Ihre weiterhin bestehenden Bindungen an Deutschland ausführlich darlegen."​
Translated by browser:​
"After a stay in Canada of 20 years or more, the Federal Office of Administration assumes that the applicant has a "pronounced, conclusive need for integration". In this case, you do not need to provide evidence of your disadvantages in Canada, but you should explain in detail your reasons for seeking to acquire Canadian citizenship and your continuing ties to Germany."​
It might help to consult an immigration lawyer that has experience with preparing the retention permit with your case.

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Hi,

Is there anyone here who recently got his "Beibehaltigungsgehnemiging" from Germany? I've applied but they are asking for more proof why I need/want the Canadian Citizenship.
I've been in Canada for 11 years now and have a family here( Canadian fiancee and son). I would like to have the CA Citizenship so I'm able to come back to Canada after we may have lived in Europe for x amount of years. We are planning to move to Europe within the next 2 years but at this point I don't really have any proof to provide to Germany.
My son is dual citizen as we applied for his German Citizenship before he turned one year old.
Does anyone here can provide any tips or recommendations for my situation? Thanks!!!
Hi, I am in the same situation. Wondering how you made out

KaTSeb

Feb 6, 2023
Hi, I am in the same situation. Wondering how you made out
Hi,
Well unfortunately I didn’t get any further. Using a lawyer who is specified in this field is about $4k and I did talk to one but all they could tell me that having some kind of proof that you may want to go back to Germany to live there again might be one option that they will grant you permission to keep your German citizenship.
maybe I just wait another 9 years ‍

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Hi,
Well unfortunately I didn’t get any further. Using a lawyer who is specified in this field is about $4k and I did talk to one but all they could tell me that having some kind of proof that you may want to go back to Germany to live there again might be one option that they will grant you permission to keep your German citizenship.
Thank you, see I have no intent living back home. But what happens with inheritance, having a German passport I don't think I would get taxed as much?

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Hi,
Hi, I just spoke to my mom in Germany and she says "In diesem Jahr beabsichtigt die deutsche Regierung die doppelte Staatsangehoerigkeit zuzulassen". If that is true no need to apply for it.

Reactions: armoured

trapper20

Jul 7, 2023
Just as a reminder folks, if you are currently living in Canada, get in touch with your MPs (and probably in this case, the minister for immigration, currently Sean Fraser). Sometimes, bureaucracy can get very entrenched in their rules and MP Offices can really help. Fraser's office especially has been quite helpful (for reasonably complicated cases) to many people struggling with unique situations.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just as a reminder folks, if you are currently living in Canada, get in touch with your MPs (and probably in this case, the minister for immigration, currently Sean Fraser). Sometimes, bureaucracy can get very entrenched in their rules and MP Offices can really help. Fraser's office especially has been quite helpful (for reasonably complicated cases) to many people struggling with unique situations.
What does that have to do with this thread?

The above posts have NO issues with Canadian immigration or citizenship. Fraser can't do anythig about it.

It's a German nationality issue (that just happens to be something that affects German citizens who intend to get Canadian citizenship).

Reactions: IPULL

trapper20

Jul 7, 2023
What does that have to do with this thread?

The above posts have NO issues with Canadian immigration or citizenship. Fraser can't do anythig about it.

It's a German nationality issue (that just happens to be something that affects German citizens who intend to get Canadian citizenship).
All right all right, no need to get testy. I wasn't sure, it almost seemed like the issue was from the Canadian side. I take your point though.