+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizen. Safe it travel with two passports?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
US government doesn't want even dual citizens (those who have US and other citizenship) to go to Cuba using their other non US passports.
But in practice a lot of US citizens including those who do no have second citizenship travel to Cuba using US passports thru third countries. They just make sure they do not get Cuban stamp :)

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
Alurra71 said:
Keesio, Cuba. You can't or shouldn't go there with a US passport. Of course, you would have to travel to Canada to catch a flight there anyway, but I don't think you would want them to see/know you are a citizen of the USA once you landed. I know I wouldn't ....
Cuba doesn't really care. Lots of US citizens go. But I'd still travel on a Canadian passport because if there is any problems in Cuba there is no US Embassy and the American Interests Section at the Swiss Embassy is for official travel only.

gte439u

Sep 27, 2013
YorkFactory said:
There are no immigration checks upon exiting the U.S.; if there were, you would need to present your U.S. passport to U.S. government officials, but you can present either passport to your airline.
That is incorrect. The airline sends the passenger data to the US government prior to departure. Although there is no formal passport check as in Australia, China, or most other countries, the US government is certainly aware of the departure of people from its jurisdiction by air.

See subsection 1185(b) of the US Code (8 USC 1185):
b) Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
clearly said:
Cuba doesn't really care. Lots of US citizens go. But I'd still travel on a Canadian passport because if there is any problems in Cuba there is no US Embassy and the American Interests Section at the Swiss Embassy is for official travel only.
True, but I would never go anyway. To me, it is an unnecessary risk when there are many other places I can travel to and not have to worry about breaking any laws (for US citizens)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Choice of travel document to use will also as pointed out depend on consular availability either directly from the passport issuing country or 3rd country agreement. There are some dangerous places out there and relying on consular assistance for this is just a plain bad idea!

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gte439u said:
That is incorrect. The airline sends the passenger data to the US government prior to departure. Although there is no formal passport check as in Australia, China, or most other countries, the US government is certainly aware of the departure of people from its jurisdiction by air.

See subsection 1185(b) of the US Code (8 USC 1185):
b) Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.
What I said above is indeed correct. If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen flying from the U.S. to Canada, it is perfectly acceptable to present your Canadian passport to your airline at check-in. The people at the check-in desk are not U.S. CBP officers, and the check-in desk is not a border checkpoint. I speak from a decade of actual experience.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
YorkFactory said:
What I said above is indeed correct. If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen flying from the U.S. to Canada, it is perfectly acceptable to present your Canadian passport to your airline at check-in. The people at the check-in desk are not U.S. CBP officers, and the check-in desk is not a border checkpoint. I speak from a decade of actual experience.
One thing to note is that if you provide passenger information in advance (online) for a flight and specify a passport, the airline will want to see that passport. For example, when I fly to the US from here, I enter my US passport info on the Air Canada passenger info data. They apply this info to the round trip ticket so when I board the flight back to Canada, they want to see the same passport. I once gave my Canadian passport and they asked if I had the same passport they have in their system. Now I'm pretty sure they will let you on if for whatever reason you don't have the other on you but i never tried it.

Also if you don't provide the advance info, they will need to check your passport at the counter the above is most likely not applicable.

smy88

May 20, 2014
Hi all,

Question: I'm a dual citizen with an American passport. I now want to move to Canada. When I enter Canada, can I just show my certificate of Canadian certificate to border officials along with my US passport. Will that mean I only have 6 months?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
smy88 said:
Hi all,

Question: I'm a dual citizen with an American passport. I now want to move to Canada. When I enter Canada, can I just show my certificate of Canadian certificate to border officials along with my US passport. Will that mean I only have 6 months?
If you are a Canadian citizen and have proof you are under no obligation to ever leave no matter what passport you hold.