+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving U-Haul to Canada or any best suggestions...

akulanaveen

Jul 26, 2007
Hi,

I need advise and some thoughts. Is there anyone who has driven a U-haul or any rental van with the household items like TV, Sofa etc with the car behind attached? Is it a good idea? Will the entry in the border possible like that. I want to move to canada (Toronto) from US with my family and belongings in this December. Also, when I gave the list of things to follow, I had a different TV that time and now I have a different one. Will it be a problem? please advise.

Thanks
naveen

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You shouldn't have a problem driving a rental as long as the rental agreement is in your name and the vehicle is insured for Canada.

You're likely going to have to pay tax on the new TV since it isn't on your original list.

I don't have an answer to your towing question, but here's where you can download a PDF of the Driver's Handbook for planning, securing and checking cargo loads.

http://www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/cargo_driver_handbook.pdf

microbio

Aug 10, 2007
Hi,

I drove a mid-size U-Haul with a trailer (with big Buick on it) from Nebraska to Saskatchewan in March 2007. Driving was somewhat a challenge - the rig is a little shorter than a standard trailer truck. Other than driving a long vehicle there were no problems renting, driving, crossing the border and returning the truck and the trailer. In my case U-Haul did not want to load the car on the trailer (for liability issues) but I tipped one of their mechanics to look at my car and make sure there were no stupid or suiccidal mistakes. It was useful too - I learned to load and unload the car easily, and could drive around in Canada, with most of my baggage still in the U-Haul truck (while arranging appartment rental etc.). The rental price was in the vicinity of $1500, but it was convenient to have all my stuff with me. Just don't drive too fast (I was doing 60-65 most of the time, it could go faster, but controllability worsened), keep in mind it is a long vehicle (when you park, turn etc.) and it should be OK.

keral

Sep 12, 2007
Hi AkulNaveen and Microbio,
Please pass on asmuch information regarding how you guys managed this issue. I am planning to do the same probably by end of October / early November. Akul you mentioned that you submitted list of items and now the TV was different. Whom do you submit the list to? Also if it is possible could either of you / others who have gone through this process list out the documents / forms / other important points to consider, while driving into canada using U-haul.