+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving to canada to maintain PR

roodrap

Jul 28, 2016
My situation:
- Got my PR approved from Ontario Province Nomination Program
- I have got about 3 years left - in which i need to do 2 years.
- I am starting a job in Seattle next month.

question: I can easily drive to British columbia border everyday. If i do that for 2 years, is there a reason CIC won't renew my PR for another 5 years?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Even if you traveled to BC every day, you would not be resident there unless you mean you'd commute to Seattle from Surrey. This would eventually be discovered.

If you're trying to use the days spent travelling to Canada aspect as a loophole, I don't believe it works what way.

roodrap

Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for the response. What if I buy a house there?
I can spend my weekends: Friday to Monday in BC. Plus one additional day - say drive on wednesday and come back thursday.

roodrap

Jul 28, 2016
Yes - I will live there. Plan is to spend entire weekend (4 days) + couple of additional days and whenever I get time off/PTO etc.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Days you spend resident in Canada count towards your obligation along with the day you travel home to Canada.

CBSA and US CBP may give you hard time if you are a regular at the border and the commute is not short.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you very much for all the responses! Much appreciated! Looks like it's hail-merry time :)
It may not be. IRCC could decide you don't have actual ties to Canada, you could fall short if your work doesn't allow you to travel, etc. Also verify anything I say with a lawyer.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Legally, any day that you physically set foot on Canadian soil counts towards the Residency Obligation requirements. Stupid, but true.
However, the Permanent Resident has the onus of proving it... Which is a lot more fun.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My situation:
- Got my PR approved from Ontario Province Nomination Program
- I have got about 3 years left - in which i need to do 2 years.
- I am starting a job in Seattle next month.

question: I can easily drive to British columbia border everyday. If i do that for 2 years, is there a reason CIC won't renew my PR for another 5 years?
Did you ever make any attempt to settle in Ontario, as required by the Ontario Province Nomination Program? If not, did you ever intend to?

roodrap

Jul 28, 2016
Did you ever make any attempt to settle in Ontario, as required by the Ontario Province Nomination Program? If not, did you ever intend to?
No. I landed in BC because my medical was expiring. They didn't give me my PR card but they did say that I am free to drive in using the landing document. Does it matter? Here is my plan:
1. Buy a property and start paying taxes in BC.
2. Start volunteering: literally spend every waking hours volunteering and accumulate volunteer hours.
3. donation to charities + sit on non-profit boards etc.
4. (optionally): spend summer in BC (put my kid to summer school in BC)

Would this be enough evidence to convince CIC to renew my PR?

roodrap

Jul 28, 2016
Does it matter? I thought once you have PR, you can live in any province? Or I am not interpreting it correctly.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Recently some cases of misrepresentation of intent based on commitments to reside in sponsoring province have been made.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No. I landed in BC because my medical was expiring. They didn't give me my PR card but they did say that I am free to drive in using the landing document. Does it matter? Here is my plan:
1. Buy a property and start paying taxes in BC.
2. Start volunteering: literally spend every waking hours volunteering and accumulate volunteer hours.
3. donation to charities + sit on non-profit boards etc.
4. (optionally): spend summer in BC (put my kid to summer school in BC)

Would this be enough evidence to convince CIC to renew my PR?
None of that matters. As Zardoz said, IRCC looks at physical residency, not ties or establishment.