+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving On The Other Side

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys ;D

Here Im Looking For Some Expert Advice On How Hard It Is To Learn Driving In Canada As Its Opposite to India/England. :mad:
Im Driving From Last 12 Years; Have Driving Experience From India and England. :p
HOw Difficult It Is To Drive On Right Hand Side and Handling The Wheel On Left Hand Side And In How Much Time I Will Be Able To Adapt Myself. ???

Thanks And Im Really Waiting For You Guys To Share Your Experience With All Of Us :)

I

iarblue

Well you will soon find out because if you do not have an international licence you can not drive in Canada with and indian licence.You will need to change your licence at the DMV and i think they will require a road test.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iarblue said:
Well you will soon find out because if you do not have an international licence you can not drive in Canada with and indian licence.You will need to change your licence at the DMV and i think they will require a road test.
I know all that my dear friend (just read driving theory book), was just thinking of knowing about the experience of the forum members who are already there and spinning their rides ;D

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
My husband is british, the first time he drove here I feared for my life. He's a bit better now, but the laws are very different. There are tons of driving schools around and for a few hundred dollars they will give you a full course! It actually lowers the cost of your insurance as well.

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got confused at the beginning. On my first day of driving here, I turn right from my by husband company to the main street and found that I was driving in the wrong side of road :p Fortunately it was Brampton which traffic is not busy at all. The road was pretty clear on that day.

After few time of driving, I was getting better and finally got used to it now. However my driving habit is now totally different from before. I am from Thailand where the driving is crazy. People here follow the rule so for me the difficult part is how to follow all those rules, especially speed limit :p

drawoh

Mar 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2010
File Transfer...
15-6-2010
Med's Done....
04-25-2010
Wrong category dude this forum is for FAMILY CLASS QUESTIONS NOT TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE PAY AN INSTRUCTOR AND LEARN.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing your experience :)
i know mr drawoh, i will pay a professional driving instructor before putting my step on gas. btw i wasnt asking for no tips, chill pal

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alisa said:
I got confused at the beginning. On my first day of driving here, I turn right from my by husband company to the main street and found that I was driving in the wrong side of road :p Fortunately it was Brampton which traffic is not busy at all. The road was pretty clear on that day.

After few time of driving, I was getting better and finally got used to it now. However my driving habit is now totally different from before. I am from Thailand where the driving is crazy. People here follow the rule so for me the difficult part is how to follow all those rules, especially speed limit :p
thats funny ;D , i dont want to do that, most probably i will move to brampton too :D

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
I am British and had my British driving licence.
Here is my experience:
1) if you are a qualified driver, your brain will adjust (adapt) quickly to the shift from left to right road driving skills. This is not an issue at all but common sense.
2) if you are a driver, you don't necessarily need driving lessons. You only need to set in the passenger seat and observe how your friend or relative can drive in Canada.
3) the road signs, roads and trafic signals are slightly different in Canada compared to Britain. So you have to observe and ask. For example, the round abouts are the main landmark in British traffic. the round abouts are rare or even do not exist in Canada. in some junctions, where there are no traffic lights, it can be confusing and difficult to go through. Also I found it confusing to get used to 4 or 3 stop signs in some street junctions. Another example, in Canada when the light is still RED, ahead , you can turn right if it is safe and clear to do so. It makes sense. in England, you can not turn left (equal to turn right in Canada) unless the light ahead is turning green......this does not make sense. In some junctions, you can turn left when it is green and safe, but in other junctions you have to watch for the green arrow. This is confusing sometimes.
4) traffic lights are higher, so you have to get used to adjust your head to look up. traffic lights in England are ahead of you, lower and easy to catch. The traffic signs are smaller in Canada and most streets and hospitals are not well sign posted compared to England.
5) almost all cars in N America are automatic..rarely you come across a manual car. The opposite (manual) is the case in Britain. if you can drive a manual you can easily shift to automatic but you may gradually forget your manual skills when you go back home. I doubt very much if an average Canadian would be able to drive a manual car in Britain. It makes sense that if you pass the driving test in manual then you are automatically licensed for the automatic, which is the case in Britain. In Canada you pass the test in automatic and you are licensed for both, which, in my experience is so dangerous.
6) driving and drivers in N America are more agressive compared to England. the roads in England are designed to make it easy and safe to join the main stream traffic. it is not the case in Canada. For example, the slippery roads to the main roads or highways in England are long, safe and make it easier to gradually slip into the stream. There are waring signs for you as a driver through the slippery roads and to those in the high way or main stream to give way. It is not the case in canada. so be careful.
Finally, I will try to remember other experiences and post it here, if I missed it

lands

Jan 28, 2010
Apart from what Halifax... has mentioned ..the trick is to remember to always drive on the right side..so with left hand driving you always drive on the right side..right hand driving(UK,Asia) you dirve on the left side..

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Good tips, Halifax-Maple, though I find driving a manual transmission a keen to riding a bike. Once you know how, you don't forget. Also, the right turn on red is illegal in Quebec, so you must be mindful of provincial differences. I find the painted markings on the roads confusing...like when a solid white line is accompanied by a dotted white line.

I spend most of my time in Toronto, but also in Montreal. I think driving in Montreal VERY different from driving in Toronto. I find Montreal drivers more aggressive, unpredictable (picture u turns in heavy traffic to get a parking space and erratic lane changes without signals or sufficient space) and the road conditions are less favorable. In Toronto, the roads are wider and generally speaking in better condition. It is easier to navigate with the grid like street plan and other drivers give you a bit more room.

warrenthegreat

Sep 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
I've had some experience with this but in reverse. I'm Canadian but moved to England. The best thing to do is follow the lane dividing line keeping it on you're left. Just keep following that line and go slow. All your instincts in an emergency are backwards so be aware of that and don't turn into traffic. Funny thing happened to me because in the UK people park they're cars facing in which ever direction is convenient. I'd turn a corner and cars would be pointing at me head on and I'd think it was either a one way street or I was on the wrong side of the road. Follow the line....................................

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
AllisonVSC said:
I spend most of my time in Toronto, but also in Montreal. I think driving in Montreal VERY different from driving in Toronto. I find Montreal drivers more aggressive, unpredictable (picture u turns in heavy traffic to get a parking space and erratic lane changes without signals or sufficient space) and the road conditions are less favorable.
Montreal is one of the scariest places I have ever driven... the people are INSANE, and the freaking street lights on the island are usually hiding behind other signs so you don't see them till the last second. nuts.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
im Indian and havnt experienced canada yet but england drivers are so lovable (except taxy drivers) they will even leave their own space and road for you. i hope its goona be same in Canada. im so thansful to you all for sharing it here with all of us. hats off for you.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Halifax-Maple said:
... For example, the round abouts are the main landmark in British traffic. the round abouts are rare or even do not exist in Canada. in some junctions, where there are no traffic lights, it can be confusing and difficult to go through. will try to remember other experiences and post it here, if I missed it
Roundabouts do exist in Canada. There are about 5 of them in Ottawa-Gatineau, but they are rare so people are not so familiar with them.

AllisonVSC said:
Also, the right turn on red is illegal in Quebec, so you must be mindful of provincial differences. I find the painted markings on the roads confusing...like when a solid white line is accompanied by a dotted white line.er to navigate with the grid like street plan and other drivers give you a bit more room.
It's true that traffic laws are provincial so there may be differences between provinces, but right turns on red are legal everywhere in Quebec EXCEPT the Island of Montreal. I agree with whoever said that Montreal drivers are insane. Toronto I find to be much more civilized. My partner spends considerable time speculating on how we can avoid driving on our next trip to Montreal!

We live in Gatineau, though, and things really aren't much better. Last week I stopped for a red light and someone passed me using the left turn lane and drove right through the red light!