+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving On The Other Side

lands

Jan 28, 2010
If you drive in India or any other south asian country for that matter, it will be a piece of cake...the only difference is..left hand driving and obeying road rules..ha ha..

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hahah :) this is funny but i still dont want no one behind me to honk to pull my car aside especially when i see red light in front of me ;D

lands

Jan 28, 2010
Oh yes there is one other thing you need to know..if a cop stops you in Canada, not like in South Asia where you have to go to the cop..here they come to you....so if you get stopped dont attempt to go over to the cop car...:)

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Good point, lands. The police officers and highway patrol officers do not want you to get out of the car; unless they tell you too. They consider the action a potential threat.

Thanks for the correction Beshoo, as I typed it I wasn`t sure if the no right turn was just for the city where there is a lot of foot traffic. I have been in MTL on my own (in Outremont) for several weeks now with my car. I have driven 3 times for groceries, compelled mostly by parking laws in the neighborhood. I prefer not to and can walk to lots of places. And, I do a lot of walking.

I brought my bike, too, and I see a lot of people using the rental bike system. I still find it a bit insane; kids and moms ride on sidewalks, but distance bikers and other adults ride in traffic. I have never in 6 years of visiting MTL, used the subway, but I would like to. The metro in Toronto is easy to navigate.

B

buddhadimple

In my opinion, it is much easier to drive in Canada. There aren't many round-abouts (just little ones in small towns). There are lines on the road which mean different things. In England, it is nearly always a broken line. The rules are more clear in Canada. The roads are wider, and the car parks are bigger and have more room too (and Canada has PARKING!). I find it easier to drive on the Right side of the road because I am right-handed and find using my Right hand to shift gears much easier than my left hand. It also makes more sense to me that the higher the gear, the further the hand goes away from you - not toward you. But that's just me. I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you read the theory book and understand everything. It usually makes sense. Oh yeah and also you can turn right on a red light, but a lot of the time there will be a separate lane to do this (a lane that cuts through the corner).

B

boyee6576

when I first went to India I thought I would not live to see the hotel. I couldnt believe the mass confussion, well for me it was confusing ( three or four lanes and 8 vehicles in it)I was white knuckling it with my eyes bugged out. I looked at my husband sitting beside me in the taxi thinking that this was some kind of thrill ride for him also but he was completely calm I was amazed. I said to my husband arent you afriad? he said no why? I then i realized this is normal. LOL. Darting here and there and missing cows and people and entire families on motor bikes by only cms, was enough to scare the crap out of me. I prayed so hard God just get me to the hotel in one piece. After the third time being there I got kind of used to it, but there is NO way I would drive there only if my life depended on it and then I would debate about it. Delhi was the worse for traffic but when I went to other cities like Nagpur it was not AS chaiotic but still nothing like the traffic in Canada. The traffic is crazy but I love the country :)

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
samrupl said:
Hey Guys ;D

Here Im Looking For Some Expert Advice On How Hard It Is To Learn Driving In Canada As Its Opposite to India/England. :mad:
Im Driving From Last 12 Years; Have Driving Experience From India and England. :p
HOw Difficult It Is To Drive On Right Hand Side and Handling The Wheel On Left Hand Side And In How Much Time I Will Be Able To Adapt Myself. ???

Thanks And Im Really Waiting For You Guys To Share Your Experience With All Of Us :)
In all honesty I think it's nothing. I drove for 29 years in Canada and the last three years I have been driving in Bangkok which of course in on the left hand side and all that.. took me about a month or two to feel totally comfortable behind the wheel now it's second nature I go back and forth when visiting Canada and it takes an hour or two... as long as you are a good drive to begin with it's really not that hard an adjustment.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys i really cant tell you how thankful im to all of you for sharing your experiences, its like im reading some gossip no doubt educational too.
im sharing this website with all the forum members who are yet not in canada and dont have driving theory book.

http://www.apnatoronto.com/ontario-g1-practice-test.html

i think its not goona be difficult for me to drive in canada and i will get use to it in a months time. i dont believe in road rage. just a cool driver who loves staying in limits most of the times.

i had spent most of my life in india but when i came back from england after 4 years i was so shocked to see how people drive here. i kept jumping and closing my eyes to see another vehicle in the centre of road n especially looking at people standing on edge of road waiting to cross. that was all so funny. but now im use to it.
honk honk; u r driving in incredible india ;D

I

iarblue

Yes in Quebec you can not turn right on a red the rest of canada you can unless its posted not to.It is illegal to make a u turn unless its posted.Save your money on driving lessons.go drive around a plaza for a bit they use the same rules in a mall plaza as the road.its just the opposite of the uk you drive on the right and turn and stay to the left here we drive on the left turn and stay to the right.
Dont worry too much youll get it.If you do something wrong and see flashy lights lol tell him your from the UK he will just shake his head and go back to his car.

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
Really?

This forum is for IMMIGRATION related issues not some " I want to inquire how difficult it is to drive in Canada" Other sites are available for that!

Perhaps you should first come to Canada and get a feeling of how the roads are, then, you go to the nearest MOT office and apply for a driver's license which will allow you permission to drive on the roads in Canada OR use apply for an international driver's license.

I am 99% positive that the internet could provide you with a higher extent of greater information if you visited one of the Provincial MOT websites in Canada to obtain in-depth information on your prospective driving experience in Canada.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iarblue said:
Dont worry too much youll get it.If you do something wrong and see flashy lights lol tell him your from the UK he will just shake his head and go back to his car.
this is so funny... shake his head and go back to his car ;D

I

iarblue

Trust me Samp you wont be the first person to give it a try you will get it pretty quick.just put a big British Flag on the back window then they will know LOL.dont worry they will be sure to let you know your on the wrong side just stay off the highway till you get the hang of it.

I

iarblue

Well i have driven in a quite a few places all provinces,europe,and Brazil i have never seen anything like they drive here.When you pull up to an intersection,you have a car next to you then a moorbike creeps up between you at the light.He takes off through the red, you catch up to him pass him get to the next light and he does it again.They park like its the only spot in Brazil left to park,i thought Montreal was bad till i got to Brazil.Nothing compares,these guys here make their own rules.

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
people are weird all around the world. just try to stay cool and take it easy.

otherday i was driving and another guy from opposite side was driving in the middle of road, i thought i will not leave my space and will not take my car off the road but that bastard smashed my side mirror which i have to get it fixed and have to pay a bill of 2500 indian ruppee. :'(

they say dont try to teach other road users on road leave it to driving authority. i think thats right :-\