+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License - Need Suggestion

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
I am from India and got my Canada PR in September 2018. I did soft landing back then, got PR card and came back to India. I am planning to move to Canada in next few months and need some suggestion on my D License.

As I need to update photo on my Indian D license, I was going through the procedure to do that. I also intend to get D license in Canada without much hassle so a friend of mine suggested me to get International Driving permit from India instead of refreshing the existing license.
  • Is this a good idea?
  • Can I drive in India with international permit as I used to drive earlier with normal license?

As most provinces have their own rules and regulations, I was wondering what is the process of getting D license in provinces like (BC & ON) if someone has a international driving permit and what is the process otherwise? Also if anyone can enlighten what all types tests one needs to undergo before getting license in Canada, that would be very helpful indeed.

Thank you.

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
I am from India and got my Canada PR in September 2018. I did soft landing back then, got PR card and came back to India. I am planning to move to Canada in next few months and need some suggestion on my D License.

As I need to update photo on my Indian D license, I was going through the procedure to do that. I also intend to get D license in Canada without much hassle so a friend of mine suggested me to get International Driving permit from India instead of refreshing the existing license.
  • Is this a good idea?
  • Can I drive in India with international permit as I used to drive earlier with normal license?

As most provinces have their own rules and regulations, I was wondering what is the process of getting D license in provinces like (BC & ON) if someone has a international driving permit and what is the process otherwise? Also if anyone can enlighten what all types tests one needs to undergo before getting license in Canada, that would be very helpful indeed.

Thank you.
Hi,

No need for international driving license.
You can get your Driving License(with photo) and get a Driving Extract from the RTO.
It would help you to skip the G2 test.

The actual process is G1 test (written test) -> G2 (driving, sort of learning what it is in India) -> G (full license).
Once you get G you can drive in city & on highway, while with G2 you can not drive on highway (of course you can drive in City).

If you have good experience in India, you can get an extract from the RTO by paying nominal fees (generally 50 Rs).
You need to present your Driving License (with photo) and Driving Extract when you appear for G1 (written test).
It will save 8 months of time for you, it take from G1 to G2 and few more months from G2 to G.

Good Luck

Reactions: _Harry_

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Hi,

You can get your Driving License(with photo) and get a Driving Extract from the RTO.

The actual process is G1 test (written test) -> G2 (driving, sort of learning what it is in India) -> G (full license).
Once you get G you can drive in city & on highway, while with G2 you can not drive on highway (of course you can drive in City).

If you have good experience in India, you can get an extract from the RTO by paying nominal fees (generally 50 Rs).
You need to present your Driving License (with photo) and Driving Extract when you appear for G1 (written test).
It will save 8 months of time for you, it take from G1 to G2 and few more months from G2 to G.

Good Luck
You definitely can drive on highways with your G2 license

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
You definitely can drive on highways with your G2 license
Once you get G2 you can drive in city & on highway, with certain restrictions like zero blood alcohol level, carrying only as many passengers as there are working seat belts.

Thanks for notifying & finding the mistake.

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
May be people are afraid of getting a ticket, wears a seat belt. :D

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Hi,

Good Luck
Thank you.
About the RTO extract, I believe it will have summary of my driving history in India till date, give/take few other aspects.
So having tickets (chalaan) on it or claiming the insurance will put any damp on my chances of skipping G2?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Thank you.
About the RTO extract, I believe it will have summary of my driving history in India till date, give/take few other aspects.
So having tickets (chalaan) on it or claiming the insurance will put any damp on my chances of skipping G2?
Driving extracts in India to my knowledge does not track your insurance claims or tickets. Unless you had a driver suspension or have been criminally charged.

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Thank you.
xylene is absolutely correct.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
And will suspension pose any issue in that?
I don't think it would still be accepted. You would need to try it out worst case you have to wait for 8 months.
If you don't get the driving extract you still got to wait 8 months.