Driving license in BC

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes i have! It doesn’t say I have to surrender my foreign license. It does say previous license and I was of the impression it would apply to other Canadian license. It’s strange that they will take my valid foreign license.

j
If "previous license" meant "Canadian licence", it would state that. It refers to any and all licences.

shishirkona

Jul 20, 2018
If "previous license" meant "Canadian licence", it would state that. It refers to any and all licences.
It’s strange- in my home country, DL is a chip enabled SMART card with biometrics information. I would they would say it’s not valid for Canada. It’s really very strange if they will need me to surrender a valid foreign license.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It’s strange- in my home country, DL is a chip enabled SMART card with biometrics information. I would they would say it’s not valid for Canada. It’s really very strange if they will need me to surrender a valid foreign license.
You can call it strange as much as you want. It is BC law. If you want to drive here, you will have to give up your home country license.

Reactions: foodie69

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don’t think they will take my foreign license. How will I drive in Bangladesh without it? I think what they mean here is at any given point, you can have one procince’s state license.

obt
You can ask them to give back your Bangladesh license when you give up your BC one.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
You misunderstand. That poster meant that ICBC doesn't hold on to foreign licenses. They return them back to the issuing authority, i.e. Bangladesh.

One more time, you can only have one license, as per BC law.
Thanks Canuck..I always thought they shred the licenses and won't even bother sending them back.
If sending back, then I assume the receiving authorities shreds them instead..why keep?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You misunderstand. That poster meant that ICBC doesn't hold on to foreign licenses. They return them back to the issuing authority, i.e. Bangladesh.

One more time, you can only have one license, as per BC law.
Are you sure? I was told they forward the licenses to some government department in Victoria. But anyways, all license have expiry dates and become invalid over time. They can keep the invalid ones.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuck..I always thought they shred the licenses and won't even bother sending them back.
If sending back, then I assume the receiving authorities shreds them instead..why keep?
Are you sure? I was told they forward the licenses to some government department in Victoria. But anyways, all license have expiry dates and become invalid over time. They can keep the invalid ones.
When I returned to Canada and traded my foreign license, I was told the license would be returned to the issuing authority. Maybe it depends on the country the license is from?

Reactions: Buletruck