+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License for Toronto, Ontario

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are apparently all sorts of procedures going on for what happens to your old license. I don't know about ON specifically but quite a few of my German coworkers in AB had exchanged their German licenses and each one of them had a different experience with the exchange, depending on where they'd gone. One guy was even given a license to drive motorcycles, trucks, you name it, by mistake. They were also told that AB would mail their licenses back to Germany where they would be able to collect them if they moved back but those who moved back found out that was not true. They were told that Manitoba sometimes mails licenses back but no other province does so apparently the AB government either keeps the licenses or destroys them.

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All

On the topic of driver's licenses: Does anyone whether it would be possible to get my driver's license in the US and the change it for a Canadian license? I have been a Canadian PR since 2008 and currently hold no driver's license at all. I have never had one and it would be cheaper and faster to get one in the US. Would this be possible?

Thank you!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, no problem, if you have legal status in the U.S. to get one or find a state that does not have a legal presence requirement, though you would have to pay the same fees to get a Canadian one as if you were getting a new one, so it won't be cheaper.

As for faster: they will check how long you have actually had your license in the U.S.A., and force you into the graduated licensing program accordingly, so there is no benefit that way if that's what you were thinking.

It will probably end up cheaper, easier and faster in the end to just go straight for the Canadian one.

PommeDeRoute said:
Hi All

On the topic of driver's licenses: Does anyone whether it would be possible to get my driver's license in the US and the change it for a Canadian license? I have been a Canadian PR since 2008 and currently hold no driver's license at all. I have never had one and it would be cheaper and faster to get one in the US. Would this be possible?

Thank you!

nasim15

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28 Sep 2009
LANDED..........
10 APR 2010
Leon said:
There are apparently all sorts of procedures going on for what happens to your old license. I don't know about ON specifically but quite a few of my German coworkers in AB had exchanged their German licenses and each one of them had a different experience with the exchange, depending on where they'd gone. One guy was even given a license to drive motorcycles, trucks, you name it, by mistake. They were also told that AB would mail their licenses back to Germany where they would be able to collect them if they moved back but those who moved back found out that was not true. They were told that Manitoba sometimes mails licenses back but no other province does so apparently the AB government either keeps the licenses or destroys them.
Leon,

I have a Bangladeshi License as well as an international license. Should I get a Toronto Driving License?

paramenio

Feb 12, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends,

I have US driving licence, will Canadaian autorities take my US licence and give me only Canadain one, What will happen with my US driver licence, If I want to have it too. ????

Q

Qaxlor

paramenio said:
Hi friends,

I have US driving licence, will Canadaian autorities take my US licence and give me only Canadain one, What will happen with my US driver licence, If I want to have it too. ????
According to the Ontario site, you have to surrender it when you exchange it.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

I suggest you Google reciprocal exchange and the province to which you are immigrating, but I bet the exchange process is the same in all, you give up your old one (unless it's Japanese).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nasim15 said:
Leon,

I have a Bangladeshi License as well as an international license. Should I get a Toronto Driving License?
If you are planning on staying in Ontario for more than 2 months, you need to get an Ontario drivers license. Go to http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx to find out more. You will need a letter from your driving authorities in Bangladesh stating how long you have been driving.

paramenio said:
Hi friends,

They will almost certainly want to take it. They don't like you having two. You may be able to convince the person to let you keep it. I have heard of such cases. If that doesn't work out, you can see about getting your license back in the US when you are there. It will not really be a problem for you to drive in the US with a Canadian license though.

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
I hv UAE driving license valid till July'10. Now I am in Bangladesh and planning to move in Toronto by June'10. Will this license be use at any extent.

Please advice.

ap8329

May 8, 2005
Dear All,

Can someone send me the Ontario Drivers Handbook. I am currently in India and will move to Ontario in April. I want to prepare for the knowledge test.

To buy this handbook will cost me around $15, so if someone has an online version, I will really be obliged if you can share it with me. Please mail me at ap8329@yahoo.com

Regards
Amit

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can read it online at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml

adeel30

Oct 21, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have a valid international Driving License from Pakistan for 2 and a half year.. will my waiting period of 2 years be exempted so that I can directly give "G" test?? or "G2" test?

Many Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get a letter from the policy or other authority stating that you have 2.5 years driving experience and this letter is in English or you get it translated in English as well as your license, you can be exempted from the waiting period. You would have to take the written exam and once you have passed, you can take the advanced road test and get a G license. If you fail the advanced road test, you can take the basic road test and get a G2 license.

apple3981

Nov 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you exchange your British Driver License with a Canadian one?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

apple3981 said:
Can you exchange your British Driver License with a Canadian one?
Yes in most provinces . You would have to check each province's DL web page to be sure.