+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License for Toronto, Ontario

NEVERLOGON

Oct 18, 2007
Hi everyone,

I am from Australia, i just got my case approved for Canada Immigration. I hold an Australian Driving License from last 7 years and can drive Car and Motorcycle without any restriction.

I am aware that if someone hold a driving license from any other country for more than 3 yrs, they do get credit for that. I want to apply for both Car and Motorcycle License(I am not sure, i think its under class G & M in Ontario, Canada).

Can someone please advise me, exactly what information do ROAD & TRAFFIC Authority (Canada) require about previous license, so that i can organize the required paperwork before landing in Canada.

Any other things that i need to keep in mind?

All the information will be really helpful. Thanks everyone in advance.

Regards,

S Singh

cdarroch

Star Member
Jul 15, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/02/10
Doc's Request.
29/07/10
Med's Done....
29/10/09
Just curious how it worked out for you - my girlfriend needs to change her 15-year-old Panamanian license (non-expired) for an Ontario G... i'm wondering if she'll have to go through all the graduated BS? thanks!

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
If you have means of getting an International Driver's License in your originating country, then you can use that to get an Ontario license with little problem.

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Dear Neverlogon

May I ask why are you moving from Australia to Canada ? Is it due to recession ? Do you think Canada would be a better place as compared to Australia. ?

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
NEVERLOGON said:
Hi everyone,

I am from Australia, i just got my case approved for Canada Immigration. I hold an Australian Driving License from last 7 years and can drive Car and Motorcycle without any restriction.

I am aware that if someone hold a driving license from any other country for more than 3 yrs, they do get credit for that. I want to apply for both Car and Motorcycle License(I am not sure, i think its under class G & M in Ontario, Canada).

Can someone please advise me, exactly what information do ROAD & TRAFFIC Authority (Canada) require about previous license, so that i can organize the required paperwork before landing in Canada.

Regards,

S Singh
If an Australian DL can be exchange directly to a Ontario DL, you need to have an original copy of your driving record history from DMV Australia (the name of agency in US is DMV, not sure in Australia). Then, bring it to DMV Ontario and you will take an eye test. Once you pass it, they will give you temporary DL and mail to you the permanent card after 4-6 wks.

The key is getting a driving record history from DMV Australia. Also, ask a letter from your car/motor insurance stating that you've been their customer for 6 yrs. or more and have no major claim or accident. This will help to lower your premium when you get a car insurance in Ontario.

Hope this helps.

nasim15

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28 Sep 2009
LANDED..........
10 APR 2010
Empenguin said:
If you have means of getting an International Driver's License in your originating country, then you can use that to get an Ontario license with little problem.
I have a Bangladeshi Driving License as well International License. Should I get an Ontarion license more easily?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

NEVERLOGON said:
Hi everyone,

Regards,

S Singh
1. Australian DL is not exchangeable in Ontario.
2. If you can prove 2 years or more driving experience, then you can take the G1 road test, and if you pass take the G2 test, and if you pass you will be issued a G license.
3. The information you need is here: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

PMM

kimmla

Jan 13, 2010
It depends a lot I think on which province you are planning to move to. I've just moved to Ontario from QLD with around a 10yr driving history. I needed to get a record of my driving history from QLD transport at a cost of $18.10. I need then to present that to the Ontario licensing authority, pass a written knowledge test then do a driving test to get my full license here. You have 6 weeks to do all this. However, the Ontario drive test centres were on strike for the last 4mths which gave me a bit of extra time. When I went into the test centre to ask about what I need to do a couple of weeks ago, the lady at the desk said that there were current negotiations happening to have a direct license exchange system with Australia. This would mean that you just bring in your aussie license, pay a bit of money, and walk out with an Ontario license.

As I said, not too sure about the other provinces, it depends where you are moving to. I am hoping the exchange thing is approved soon!!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empenguin said:
Empenguin
I know the post is old but does this still hold true?

If I have an international licence, will they accept it for exchange and leave me with my normal UK licence in Ontario?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Baloo said:
Empenguin
I know the post is old but does this still hold true?

If I have an international licence, will they accept it for exchange and leave me with my normal UK licence in Ontario?
1. No, an international driving permitis not a license, it is just a translation of your home license.
2. You will have to exchange your UK license for the Ontario one.

PMM

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PMM, I thought that was the case.

The pain is that my UK licence has a motorcycle permit on it. That motorcycle part does not transfer when you exchange the licence in Ontario.

I suppose I could always take the full test in Ontario and keep my UK licence, or is that illegal here?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you take the full program in Ontario without telling them that you have a UK license, you will be treated as a new driver which means you will spend a year on learners permit, not being able to drive without your mom or other responsible adult sitting beside you in the car. After that follows a 2 year period of probationary license before you can take the advanced road test to get a full license. I do not know if there are any laws against this but as you see, it has it's drawbacks.

Better would be to exchange your license for an Ontario license and see about getting a motorcycle license in Ontario too. Apparently it's a breeze getting a motorcycle license in Canada compared to Europe or so I've heard.

You will most likely have to give up your UK license to get your Ontario license but that doesn't mean it's not still on the records in the UK. Next time you are in the UK, you can just go and get a new one. You should still ask when you exchange to an Ontario license if you can keep your UK one. Sometimes they let you, depends on the person.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you had your U.K. licence for 2 years or more you should be able to go straight for the full M licence test for motorcycles. I had a CA license which allowed me to transfer over the motorcycle as well, so I don't know the exact procedure, but I'm fairly confident that I read this when I looked into things. I do believe you have to get a letter from the U.K. authority verifying your licence in addition to the actual licence it self, or you can only claim credit for 1 year, which would allow you to go for M2 but not full M, if I recall correctly.

Baloo said:
Thanks PMM, I thought that was the case.

The pain is that my UK licence has a motorcycle permit on it. That motorcycle part does not transfer when you exchange the licence in Ontario.

I suppose I could always take the full test in Ontario and keep my UK licence, or is that illegal here?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info'

I have been riding motorcycles and driving a cars for over 35 years. I should be ok on retaking a test.

I tried calling the driver centre for an official statement, but they are really busy sorting their strike backlog :'(
I will try again later this week. Maybe a visit would be a better idea.

I thought the licence I exchange would be sent back to the UK, where it is cancelled or revoked.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No need to call them; it's all on the website.

You won't need to send your licence back. They'll take it from you and do all the rest.