+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License - DL Extract Benefit

Feb 1, 2016
Hi,

I will be moving to Canada and considering whether to take DL Extract with me or not. I have only three years of driving experience in Delhi and have a chip based license. I understand that showing the DL Extract will allow me to directly give the G2 road test for the G license. Is this understanding correct?

The other benefit of getting DL Extract, as I understand, is on the insurance side. Does anybody know will the insurance rate change a lot with just three years of driving experience or it does not matter that much?

Is there any other benefit to taking the DL Extract that I am missing?

Thanks all for the help!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depending where in Canada you are moving I guess. Some provinces does not care your out of their province driving experience.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Hi,

I will be moving to Canada and considering whether to take DL Extract with me or not. I have only three years of driving experience in Delhi and have a chip based license. I understand that showing the DL Extract will allow me to directly give the G2 road test for the G license. Is this understanding correct?

The other benefit of getting DL Extract, as I understand, is on the insurance side. Does anybody know will the insurance rate change a lot with just three years of driving experience or it does not matter that much?

Thanks all for the help!
Rajnish, I would very much recommend you get two things before you leave India to gain benefits for an accelerated driving license and insurance benefits.

One is the DL extract, which you have mentioned and is chip based, that is perfect. Will tell you my experience, I had to literally fight with a DL agent in Hyderabad to get my DL extract, it would be a pain if you are getting it from here. Besides, the MTO needs the hard copy not a soft copy. As you mentioned, it will definitely give you an accelerated access to G, but I would recommend drive on G2 for couple of months before directly jumping on to G, unless you have driven in US/Europe or the likes. This accelerated G license will benefit you with your car insurance, they will give you some discount.

Get a NoC from your car insurer as well, and since you have three years of driving history, that is the minimal some of the car insurance companies would consider. This will reduce something out of your car insurance, shop around to get the max benefit from different insurers.

You will be surprised to hear about your car insurance rates if you land in GTA, better be prepared.

I have greatly reduced my insurance since my arrival here in Canada, let me know if you need any help there. I could give you some pointers.

Reactions: rajnish.srivastava

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Rajnish, I would very much recommend you get two things before you leave India to gain benefits for an accelerated driving license and insurance benefits.

One is the DL extract, which you have mentioned and is chip based, that is perfect. Will tell you my experience, I had to literally fight with a DL agent in Hyderabad to get my DL extract, it would be a pain if you are getting it from here. Besides, the MTO needs the hard copy not a soft copy. As you mentioned, it will definitely give you an accelerated access to G, but I would recommend drive on G2 for couple of months before directly jumping on to G, unless you have driven in US/Europe or the likes. This accelerated G license will benefit you with your car insurance, they will give you some discount.

Get a NoC from your car insurer as well, and since you have three years of driving history, that is the minimal some of the car insurance companies would consider. This will reduce something out of your car insurance, shop around to get the max benefit from different insurers.

You will be surprised to hear about your car insurance rates if you land in GTA, better be prepared.

I have greatly reduced my insurance since my arrival here in Canada, let me know if you need any help there. I could give you some pointers.
Can you tell which insurance providers reduce insurance based on noc from Indian insurer.

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi All , I have just moved from US to Canada , have 5 years of US driving experience and have the Driving extract for 4 years in hand.

As far as i know , i can exchange my US License to Canada one.

I have my first driving license issued in 2005 in India, and it will be difficult to get the extract from India immediately.

Do i need to wait till i get India extract as well or just exchange the US license and later can i submit the Indian history as well??

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Hi All , I have just moved from US to Canada , have 5 years of US driving experience and have the Driving extract for 4 years in hand.

As far as i know , i can exchange my US License to Canada one.

I have my first driving license issued in 2005 in India, and it will be difficult to get the extract from India immediately.

Do i need to wait till i get India extract as well or just exchange the US license and later can i submit the Indian history as well??
The US has an exchange agreement with the Canadian MTO, you could use your US drivers license. You don't need to get an extract from India. I would suggest go down to any nearest drivetest and do the exchange.

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
The US has an exchange agreement with the Canadian MTO, you could use your US drivers license. You don't need to get an extract from India. I would suggest go down to any nearest drivetest and do the exchange.
Just curious if it adds to the driving history , if we provide the Indian Driving history as well to have a lower insurance premium.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Just curious if it adds to the driving history , if we provide the Indian Driving history as well to have a lower insurance premium.
It would definitely add. I am not sure, if your insurance company in India can send you those NoC letters now after like 15-16 yrs. The insurers here need the NoC and not the Insurance coverage letter per se. Besides, check if your Indian driving license has not expired, in case you plan to use it, usually it is for 20 yrs I believe.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Hi All
I moved from India to Canada (Toronto) in early 2020 with DL Extract & Chip based license. However, due to pandemic I delayed getting the License done. Now my DL extract is way too old to be considered. I wanted to check about the following

a) My India RTO is Jalandhar, can I ask someone from my family to get a DL Extract again? Will they require actual physical DL to be shown to them as well as that is present with me here in Canada
b) If I go ahead to claim only 1 year of experience (without DL extract), will Ontario Drive Test guys keep my India DL with them permanently or just check and return it back? I heard if required I can bring in DL extract at a later stage to claim experience beyond 1 year, but for that I will need physical DL to be with me.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Hi All
I moved from India to Canada (Toronto) in early 2020 with DL Extract & Chip based license. However, due to pandemic I delayed getting the License done. Now my DL extract is way too old to be considered. I wanted to check about the following

a) My India RTO is Jalandhar, can I ask someone from my family to get a DL Extract again? Will they require actual physical DL to be shown to them as well as that is present with me here in Canada
b) If I go ahead to claim only 1 year of experience (without DL extract), will Ontario Drive Test guys keep my India DL with them permanently or just check and return it back? I heard if required I can bring in DL extract at a later stage to claim experience beyond 1 year, but for that I will need physical DL to be with me.
Yes, get it done through a RTO agent in Jalandhar, just give him your DL number, he may charge few hundred bucks, get the hard copy sent over.

The drivetest guys don't keep your DL. However, they would keep your extract. Yes, they will look at your physical DL and compare details with the ones in the extract.

Reactions: NiSn

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Yes, get it done through a RTO agent in Jalandhar, just give him your DL number, he may charge few hundred bucks, get the hard copy sent over.

The drivetest guys don't keep your DL. However, they would keep your extract. Yes, they will look at your physical DL and compare details with the ones in the extract.
Thanks a ton.

malikjatin

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015

Is there some format for NOC from insurer? What we should tell him to write on that?

Achintya1986

May 5, 2019
Hi,

Thanks all for the help!
Hi,
Do you think chipbased Indian DL is a must?
Also, do I need to appear for G1 written test & G1 exit test even if I submit Indian DL Extract?