+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving licence

mushej

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding driver's license. I have more than 25 years of driving experience, but I am from a country not included in the exchange program in Ontario. Thus, I have to go through the tests.
I have already passed the written exam and gotten my G2 license. Now I want to do the road test. Can I be exempted from G1 and take at once G test. If it is possible please provide what will be needed to provide to driving center.
Thank you in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
https://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

I cannot say for certain that this will work as smoothly as they say. My spouse had some success, got 'driver's extract' from the licensing authority in home country, translated/notarized, and was able to jump directly to the G2. We believe there was a misunderstanding and would have been possible to test directly for the full-G license - but for our purposes the G2 is sufficient and we'll do the next step in due course (again, I understand should be able to do without the usual 12-month period).

Note: what exactly each country will provide and whether Ontario will accept it - not simple, although that article says get it from your embassy, that may not work, may have to get directly (as in our case), and I've heard some countries won't issue except in person.

Good luck.

Reactions: mushej

mushej

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
https://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

I cannot say for certain that this will work as smoothly as they say. My spouse had some success, got 'driver's extract' from the licensing authority in home country, translated/notarized, and was able to jump directly to the G2. We believe there was a misunderstanding and would have been possible to test directly for the full-G license - but for our purposes the G2 is sufficient and we'll do the next step in due course (again, I understand should be able to do without the usual 12-month period).

Note: what exactly each country will provide and whether Ontario will accept it - not simple, although that article says get it from your embassy, that may not work, may have to get directly (as in our case), and I've heard some countries won't issue except in person.

Good luck.
Ok, thanks, I think it will be easier to take two exams :))

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok, thanks, I think it will be easier to take two exams :))
Yeah, seriously. For my spouse the big difference is not having to deal with the waiting periods in the graduated licensing scheme. But this is driving for personal use, good thing not needed for work.