+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving into Canada on provincial nomination from the US - multiple concerns - please advise

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hello all, Kindly help. We are a family of 4. I, my elder son and my wife have canada PR. We received our PR cards some time back. My younger one is a US citizen. We live and work in the US on H1b visa. I want to drive into Canada, stay there(hotel or Air BnN) for a couple of months max along with my family in order to understand the country, experience first hand day to day life. I will continue to work for my US employer for these 50 days.My questions:
1. Can I drive into canada and use my US drivers license for 50 days stay after which I will return back to the US?
2. My younger one is USC so can stay in Canada up to 6 months per calendar year without visa? or is it 6 months per travel?
3. For our stay of 50 days, what medical insurance should we buy as the provincial nomination doesnt kick in before 90 days of stay?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all, Kindly help. We are a family of 4. I, my elder son and my wife have canada PR. We received our PR cards some time back. My younger one is a US citizen. We live and work in the US on H1b visa. I want to drive into Canada, stay there(hotel or Air BnN) for a couple of months max along with my family in order to understand the country, experience first hand day to day life. I will continue to work for my US employer for these 50 days.My questions:
1. Can I drive into canada and use my US drivers license for 50 days stay after which I will return back to the US?
2. My younger one is USC so can stay in Canada up to 6 months per calendar year without visa? or is it 6 months per travel?
3. For our stay of 50 days, what medical insurance should we buy as the provincial nomination doesnt kick in before 90 days of stay?
How long ago did you become PRs? Are you compliant with the residency obligation? (I'm guessing probably not, in which case your plan has some serious problems. )

1. Driver's license not an issue, your issue is the residency obligation.
2. US passport holder - six months per visit (although determined at entry, almost always six months).
3. You will not be eligible for provincial health coverage as not a resident, and not intending to nor establishing residence. Most provinces do have those waiting periods anyway. You would get traveller's / visitors insurance of some kind, possibly as an add-on to whatever employment coverage you have.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
How long ago did you become PRs? Are you compliant with the residency obligation? (I'm guessing probably not, in which case your plan has some serious problems. )

1. Driver's license not an issue, your issue is the residency obligation.
2. US passport holder - six months per visit (although determined at entry, almost always six months).
3. You will not be eligible for provincial health coverage as not a resident, and not intending to nor establishing residence. Most provinces do have those waiting periods anyway. You would get traveller's / visitors insurance of some kind, possibly as an add-on to whatever employment coverage you have.

Became PRs June of 2022. went to canada. completed all formalities of landing. Returned to the US after informing the immigration officer about reasons related to employment. received PR cards on one of family's canadian address. the 730 day rolling period or 2 of 5 years is not violated in any manner.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Became PRs June of 2022. went to canada. completed all formalities of landing. Returned to the US after informing the immigration officer about reasons related to employment. received PR cards on one of family's canadian address. the 730 day rolling period or 2 of 5 years is not violated in any manner.
No issues then. But should all be, for time being, that you're just visiting.

Reactions: Abhi1982