+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving extract and rental history in US

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I need some guidance around getting driving extract and rental history in the US. I have been living in IL and TX (recently).

- When I checked the TX DPS website and went through the steps I saw there were a few options. I selected and printed 'certified abstract record'. Is that the right kind of driving extract to help me apply for DL in Canada?

- I have been searching for places to request rental history from, but I am not sure where I should be requesting it from. Can someone provide me some direction in regards to this?

Thanks in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi all,

I need some guidance around getting driving extract and rental history in the US. I have been living in IL and TX (recently).

- When I checked the TX DPS website and went through the steps I saw there were a few options. I selected and printed 'certified abstract record'. Is that the right kind of driving extract to help me apply for DL in Canada?

- I have been searching for places to request rental history from, but I am not sure where I should be requesting it from. Can someone provide me some direction in regards to this?

Thanks in advance.
Driving history: For windsor location: As long as the driving history is issued with a letter from the head office which came through post then its acceptable. The print out from local office is rejected.
Rental history: What is this for? Is it to give it to the apartment office in Canada to apply for getting a rental unit?

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Driving history: For windsor location: As long as the driving history is issued with a letter from the head office which came through post then its acceptable. The print out from local office is rejected.
Rental history: What is this for? Is it to give it to the apartment office in Canada to apply for getting a rental unit?
I just downloaded the driving extract from the TX DPS website : https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager. It is signed by the DPS officer and costed $22. If I end up having to apply for DL in Windsor, would this help? Is the head office same as TX DPS or is it some other institution? Do you suggest that I apply for the driving extract to be sent to me via post?

Yes, you are correct about the rental history. I thought the rental places in Canada might ask for rental history in the US. Is this not the case? As I also won't have any credit history in Canada, how would I be able to rent a place without credit or rental history in Canada? Can you please advise?

Thanks in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
1. I just downloaded the driving extract from the TX DPS website : https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager. It is signed by the DPS officer and costed $22. If I end up having to apply for DL in Windsor, would this help? Is the head office same as TX DPS or is it some other institution? Do you suggest that I apply for the driving extract to be sent to me via post?

2. Yes, you are correct about the rental history. I thought the rental places in Canada might ask for rental history in the US. Is this not the case? As I also won't have any credit history in Canada, how would I be able to rent a place without credit or rental history in Canada? Can you please advise?

Thanks in advance.
1. I already told that you should get the extract that has the option which sends you through mail which i could see that there is option for the same from your link you gave but you still ask if the downloaded one would work. I dont know if it would unless you submit it at the windsor office.
From your link: "If you do not have printer capabilities or prefer to receive your Record through the mail, you may download a Driver Record Request form from the DPS website."

Windsor office doesnt care if you paid 22$ or 220$. They just know some procedure which they follow it blindly and sometimes they behave like investigative agency hence its up to if you want to be well prepared :). They even asked me "why the letters/extract i brought was not sent to you folded"(paper sheets were not folded because the dmv head office of michigan used my prepaid full size envelope to send the documents but the stupid lady at windsor is suspecting as if i printed on my own and brought it). So this is the example how you want to be prepared to deal with this investigative intelligent officers.

2. First call couple of apartments you want to rent (in the area where you plant to rent) and see what document they ask instead of trying to get documents ahead.

Last edited:

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
1. I already told that you should get the extract that has the option which sends you through mail which i could see that there is option for the same from your link you gave but you still ask if the downloaded one would work. I dont know if it would unless you submit it at the windsor office.
From your link: "If you do not have printer capabilities or prefer to receive your Record through the mail, you may download a Driver Record Request form from the DPS website."

Windsor office doesnt care if you paid 22$ or 220$. They just know some procedure which they follow it blindly and sometimes they behave like investigative agency hence its up to if you want to be well prepared :). They even asked me "why the letters/extract i brought was not sent to you folded"(it as not folder because i kept the preapid envelope but the stupid lady at windsor is suspecting as if i printed on my own and brought it). So this is the example how you want to be prepared to deal with this investigative intelligent officers.

2. First call couple of apartments you want to rent (in the area where you plant to rent) and see what document they ask instead of trying to get documents ahead.
Sorry. Yeah, it is odd that they are stressing that the driving extract has to be the one that is mailed to us. I will get the driving extract sent to me by post.

Good idea! I will call the apartments and check as to what documents they would need for me to apply for an apt.

Thank you!