+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving across the border daily, or a few times a week.

thecatcrawls

Oct 10, 2016
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes.

I live in Buffalo, NY and my girlfriend lives about an hour or so away in Ontario. If I start driving over the border everyday, or a few times a week, will that cause an issue? I wouldn't be living with her, my house, my job, my car, all my things would always be in Buffalo. Would I ever be turned away for crossing the border too much?

I have a funky work schedule, so sometimes I have 2-3 days off in a row, so on weeks like that, I'd probably stay the night over there and leave the day before or the night before I had work the next day. Other times I may just cross after work to see her for a while and drive back home later that night.

Edit: If this is the wrong board to post this on, if I can be directed to the right one, that'd be great.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Whether you're allowed into Canada or not is up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border. With frequent border crossings, it's possible CBSA may not like this behaviour since it may look like you're trying to live in Canada without authorization. Make sure you carry proof of your ties to the US (employment, property ownership/rental, utility bills, etc.) - this will be very helpful if you are ever questioned. You should also get a Nexus card asap. If it ever looks like you're going to be refused entry, don't argue - take the refusal.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
I second @scylla

As a US citizen, you have total rights to enter Canada as tourist at anytime without visa. What CBSA is looking for at the border is ties to US and be sure that you aren't working here. They aren't going to refuse just because you cross borders frequently, but that could be a cause for further exam. As long as you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't worry too much. Be honest and truthful is always the best policy.

And its a great idea to get NEXUS card, saves so much time queuing