+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drivers License Questions

Veelia11

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Hello! A few questions about Canadian Driver's licenses.

Reference: I'm a PR

I'm currently importing my American car (with American plates). My first question is:
1) Do I need to register the car in Canada after importing (aka: is it mandatory). FYI I'm currently insured under traveler's insurance for the car while I've been in Canada.
2) Does registering my car in Canada mean I need to get a Canadian driver's license?
3) If so, do I have to get rid of my US driver's license? Can I still keep it for when I'm in the states? How does that work?
4) When getting the Canadian driver's license, would I have to start with the classes like most Canadians, or since I have a driving license from another country get to skip all of the mandatory lessons, etc?
5) Does anyone have a roundabout cost for the whole process after importing (cost for the license plate, cost for the license, etc)

Thanks!

Reactions: zardoz

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If you want to live long term and import your car (not just occasionally visit), you will have to register it in Canada. Somewhere here on the forum was whole process with it. I only know the part when you will go to the service Ontario (I have only Ontario experience) to register car.
You will need your Canadian driving licence (one from Ontario); proof of Canadian insurance and to pay some fee for registration (there is some paperwork on the top, but again I only know the case of buying car in Ontario).
2. Answer is yes, at least in Ontario
3. If you have USA driving licence, that you can exchange in service Ontario for Ontario driving licence (several other provinces have similar driving licence exchange program). Now since there is this graduate licencing, you also need to check what will you get in exchange (if just G2 or a full G - depending on how long you have your driving licence and such).
Now what happens then:
Service Ontario will take your local USA licence and you will get Canadian. If I am not mistaken, you should be able to use it to short trips to USA (but better check which driving licenses are accepted in USA).
Your piece of plastics will be then sent by government back to your country. So later on, you can still get it back in USA>
5. No idea here.

Ok I have only answered from 1 province perspective, but I hope it helps.

Veelia11

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
1. If you want to live long term and import your car (not just occasionally visit), you will have to register it in Canada. Somewhere here on the forum was whole process with it. I only know the part when you will go to the service Ontario (I have only Ontario experience) to register car.
You will need your Canadian driving licence (one from Ontario); proof of Canadian insurance and to pay some fee for registration (there is some paperwork on the top, but again I only know the case of buying car in Ontario).
2. Answer is yes, at least in Ontario
3. If you have USA driving licence, that you can exchange in service Ontario for Ontario driving licence (several other provinces have similar driving licence exchange program). Now since there is this graduate licencing, you also need to check what will you get in exchange (if just G2 or a full G - depending on how long you have your driving licence and such).
Now what happens then:
Service Ontario will take your local USA licence and you will get Canadian. If I am not mistaken, you should be able to use it to short trips to USA (but better check which driving licenses are accepted in USA).
Your piece of plastics will be then sent by government back to your country. So later on, you can still get it back in USA>
5. No idea here.

Ok I have only answered from 1 province perspective, but I hope it helps.
Do you know if it's imperative to import it? Are people going to come hunting me down if I don't import it?
I'm not quite sure I want to live in Canada forever, and I want to avoid importing my car and then re-exporting it back to the United States.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long and under which status do you plan to live in Canada?
And how long will your car last until it will be too old and too used up and better to be replaced?

Veelia11

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
How long and under which status do you plan to live in Canada?
And how long will your car last until it will be too old and too used up and better to be replaced?
My car's make is 2007 and I'd say it's in excellent condition.
I'm currently a Permanent Resident of Canada, but I'm hoping now that I've gotten sufficient experience here, to get a job at my dream location in the US. But there is no guarantee and no timeline. Basically, I just apply to the company that I want to work for every time I see a new listing that I might be suited for.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hello! A few questions about Canadian Driver's licenses.

Reference: I'm a PR

I'm currently importing my American car (with American plates). My first question is:
1) Do I need to register the car in Canada after importing (aka: is it mandatory). FYI I'm currently insured under traveler's insurance for the car while I've been in Canada.
2) Does registering my car in Canada mean I need to get a Canadian driver's license?
3) If so, do I have to get rid of my US driver's license? Can I still keep it for when I'm in the states? How does that work?
4) When getting the Canadian driver's license, would I have to start with the classes like most Canadians, or since I have a driving license from another country get to skip all of the mandatory lessons, etc?
5) Does anyone have a roundabout cost for the whole process after importing (cost for the license plate, cost for the license, etc)

Thanks!
Driver and vehicle licensing rules are province specific, so what matters is where you live, not what your status is.

That said, does tend to be similar, and broadly, if you live in a Canadian province for more than two to three months, and want to drive there, then your vehicle must be registered there, and you must be licensed there. If you currently hold a licence from a US state, and have done so for over two years, you will almost certainly be able to do a direct swap.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My car's make is 2007 and I'd say it's in excellent condition.
I'm currently a Permanent Resident of Canada, but I'm hoping now that I've gotten sufficient experience here, to get a job at my dream location in the US. But there is no guarantee and no timeline. Basically, I just apply to the company that I want to work for every time I see a new listing that I might be suited for.
If your intention to stay in Canada is more than 3 years. Which given your description is (you have no sure offer from USA on hand, and it might or might not come. And you are Canadian PR), highly probable. In that case it is for the best to import your car to Canada.