+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drivers License address change?

tony.harris

Jun 20, 2020
Hi all, I’m in the process of applying for Common Law, my partner (the sponsor) still has their drivers license address is at her parents place, since her parents deal with the insurance, I think it’s a joint insurance or something, is that an issue? I don’t drive so I don‘t have a license.

Does it matter that the address of the drivers license is in her parents address? Or do you recommend changing it out to where we’re living? Would that help with the common law application? We already have Common Law Union, Joint Bank account, both names on the sublease, letter from the subletters and the building manager/landlord etc.

We’ve been here for over a year but we know we want to move out eventually so don’t want to deal with the hassle of keep changing her drivers license address.

tony.harris

Jun 20, 2020
If you are not using the same address on each of your driver's licenses as part of your documentary support for cohabitation then it doesn't matter.
Right, I don’t even have a drivers license myself. We don‘t need to include any drivers license in the application anyway right?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi all, I’m in the process of applying for Common Law, my partner (the sponsor) still has their drivers license address is at her parents place, since her parents deal with the insurance, I think it’s a joint insurance or something, is that an issue? I don’t drive so I don‘t have a license.

Does it matter that the address of the drivers license is in her parents address? Or do you recommend changing it out to where we’re living? Would that help with the common law application? We already have Common Law Union, Joint Bank account, both names on the sublease, letter from the subletters and the building manager/landlord etc.

We’ve been here for over a year but we know we want to move out eventually so don’t want to deal with the hassle of keep changing her drivers license address.
Nothing to do with the PR app but I believe you are supposed to change the address on your license within 30 days of moving.

tony.harris

Jun 20, 2020
Nothing to do with the PR app but I believe you are supposed to change the address on your license within 30 days of moving.
Yep but her insurance is linked to her parents insurance account, she gets a discount by being under their plan. We could get new insurance so it’s under this address if it helps with our application?

What’s your thoughts?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Yep but her insurance is linked to her parents insurance account, she gets a discount by being under their plan. We could get new insurance so it’s under this address if it helps with our application?

What’s your thoughts?
If you think you have enough proof of your cohabitation then it probably won't help, they don't ask for specific items like a drivers license, they just give examples of items you can use to show proof. Up to you.