Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
Hi Everybody!

I'm planning to land in Toronto this December.

I know this might come as a shock to some of you, but I don't know how to drive! ::)

Does anyone have any links or information about drivers education in Canada, how long it will take, the costs, and/or any other info and advice?

Drea

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the Ontario drivers licensing info at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/drvlicen.shtml You first need to pass the written exam to get your learners license (G1) and then you must practice for a year before you can get the road test to get your first probationary license (G2). If you attend a driving school, this year will be cut down to 8 months. Have fun :)

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
It doesn't shock me, my driving license is expired for a few years and since I didn't need to drive anywhere back home so I never went after it, I too will be subject to taking up lessons etc too just like you.

I suppose it will be easier to apply for a driving license in Alberta than in Ontario though.

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
Leon - thank you so much, this site answers all my questions!

Charlotte - yeah, I never had to drive in any of the places I've lived around the world so I never learned too! A lot of people tell me that if you're staying in the center of Toronto, its wise to use the public transportation system. Don't know about Alberta though! Good luck to you!

Drea :)

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Just like me, aside of the fact I rather use Public Transportation in order to contribute to a better and greener world around me ;D

In Toronto, it will be easy to get around using public transit and streetcars or just using the PATH system, but living farther away than the downtown core I am sure having a car is a better option than using PT. Bear in mind that if for example living in North York or around Shepperd or the airport it is necessary to be living close to PT or else a car is a must have when working in downtown TO. Unless you can live around downtown core and have a job in the downtown too.

Calgary is another story, a car is a necessity unless living IN the downtown or very close to beltline.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
is there any deadline for passing an exit exam from G1 to G2?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
is there any deadline for passing an exit exam from G1 to G2?
Kind of. You can not renew a G1 or G2 license when they expire. According to http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml they will send you a letter 6 months before the license expires telling you what you need to do. It also says that if your license is expired for less than 3 years, you could re-apply for it without serving the waiting periods again. It also says that the G1/G2 licenses are valid for 5 years so really, you could be 5 years on a G1 license, let it expire for almost 3 years and then re-apply for it and not have to re-do the 1 year waiting time to take the road test and go to G2.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Leon said:
Kind of. You can not renew a G1 or G2 license when they expire. According to http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml they will send you a letter 6 months before the license expires telling you what you need to do. It also says that if your license is expired for less than 3 years, you could re-apply for it without serving the waiting periods again. It also says that the G1/G2 licenses are valid for 5 years so really, you could be 5 years on a G1 license, let it expire for almost 3 years and then re-apply for it and not have to re-do the 1 year waiting time to take the road test and go to G2.
thank you for your reply, Leon.
just one more question - after passing a written exam, will I need to pass a written part again for G2 or G license, or I do it just once once doing G1?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
thank you for your reply, Leon.
just one more question - after passing a written exam, will I need to pass a written part again for G2 or G license, or I do it just once once doing G1?
As far as I know, you only need to do the written test once.

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
As far as I know, you only need to do the written test once.
I can tell you for a fact that the written test only needs to be written once (so long as you pass, of course). ;D

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlotteJ said:
In Toronto, it will be easy to get around using public transit and streetcars or just using the PATH system, but living farther away than the downtown core I am sure having a car is a better option than using PT. Bear in mind that if for example living in North York or around Shepperd or the airport it is necessary to be living close to PT or else a car is a must have when working in downtown TO. Unless you can live around downtown core and have a job in the downtown too.
As long as you live somewhat near a bus that has frequent service (most of the concession roads, for example), getting around isn't particularly difficult. if you live in Toronto proper, it's not absolutely necessary to have a car to get downtown. The thing that I find great about public transit in general is that you don't have to park it anywhere, unlike a car or a bike.

I loathe driving in this city. Traffic is terrible, and a lot of people just plain don't know how to drive. Driving is an essential skill if you want to take a trip outside the city, but I can't imagine having to drive to work on a regular basis.

Having a driver's license is nice, but if your postal code begins with M, you can almost certainly get by without a car.