+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Downgrade study level

einszwei

Sep 22, 2021
Hello everybody, I am 25 years old, I have a Master's degree from a university in my country, I wanted to apply for a Master's degree in Canada, but I have a very low CGPA of 11/20 (approximately 2/4.33), and the canadian universities require a cgpa of 12/20 (approximately 3/4.33), so I cannot apply for a master's degree with this cgpa. I want to apply for a bachelor's degree.
Is there any chances to obtain study permit looking to my age and downgrading my study level ? Would the visa officers consider this a downgrade?
Anyone has the same situation before please tells us, thank you :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You have a masters so you need to justify why you need to take an undergrad degree. Yes it can be considered a downgrade. How will spending tens of thousands of dollars advance your education and career (new job in higher position with higher pay) in your home country?

Reactions: einszwei

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Hello everybody, I am 25 years old, I have a Master's degree from a university in my country, I wanted to apply for a Master's degree in Canada, but I have a very low CGPA of 11/20 (approximately 2/4.33), and the canadian universities require a cgpa of 12/20 (approximately 3/4.33), so I cannot apply for a master's degree with this cgpa. I want to apply for a bachelor's degree.
Is there any chances to obtain study permit looking to my age and downgrading my study level ? Would the visa officers consider this a downgrade?
Anyone has the same situation before please tells us, thank you :)
No, dont do it. I suggest you think this through. I suggest some very specific PG courses that align with your studies and interests. You need to make a strong case in the SOP, else it will be difficult. Why not PR route?

einszwei

Sep 22, 2021
You have a masters so you need to justify why you need to take an undergrad degree. Yes it can be considered a downgrade. How will spending tens of thousands of dollars advance your education and career (new job in higher position with higher pay) in your home country?
I need to take a study program with coop option which allows me to get the work experience in my field of interest, obtaining that undergraduate degree + 1 year of working experience will help to get a job in my home country

einszwei

Sep 22, 2021
No, dont do it. I suggest you think this through. I suggest some very specific PG courses that align with your studies and interests. You need to make a strong case in the SOP, else it will be difficult. Why not PR route?
I still don't have work experience in my field of study, so I can't choose PR route directly.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
I need to take a study program with coop option which allows me to get the work experience in my field of interest, obtaining that undergraduate degree + 1 year of working experience will help to get a job in my home country
Why do you need to spend thousands of dollars to go all the way to Canada for that?

einszwei

Sep 22, 2021
And what is your masters in. I know many students who have not gotten a co-op job especially during Covid.
I have a bechelor's & maser's degrees in mechanical engineering with specialization in energy, I'd like to apply for master's degree in canada but as I have mentioned before, my cgpa won't allow me to do it...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a bechelor's & maser's degrees in mechanical engineering with specialization in energy, I'd like to apply for master's degree in canada but as I have mentioned before, my cgpa won't allow me to do it...
So you have a degree and Masters in Mechanical Engineering and want to apply for another degree in M.Eng? That makes no sense.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
They have Co-op programs which helps to gain practical work experience in my area of interest
Most countries have similar co-op (Industrial attachments, Internships etc) as part of their programs as well. Co-op is not a plausible reason at all to go to Canada.

I don't see how you can spin this. If you apply for a bachelor's you are almost guaranteed a refusal. Rather look into post graduate diplomas/certificates (preferably in public universities), that can serve as a bridge for you into a MSc eventually.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
They have Co-op programs which helps to gain practical work experience in my area of interest
So how are you going to justify spending thousands of dollars to go all the way to Canada for that? You have not had any good explanation at all.

CO-OP is also not guaranteed.