+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Down syndrome immigrantion

layla009

Sep 1, 2019
Hello,
I would like to ask about new rules of immigration for my son who is Down syndrome. , weather its possible for us to get PR . Considering he have no health issues 6 years old
we are planning on Immigration for him because we cant find proper school for his education.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I would like to ask about new rules of immigration for my son who is Down syndrome. , weather its possible for us to get PR . Considering he have no health issues 6 years old
we are planning on Immigration for him because we cant find proper school for his education.
The new immigration rules have increased the cap allowed to around $20K - however it's difficult to say if approval for your family will be possible. IRCC will assess what your son's care will cost Canada - not just medical but also social support (which will include schooling). IRCC will know that your son will require specialized schooling and will factor this into the assessment of how much his care will cost the system in Canada.

In the end, you can certainly try - however none of us here can tell you what the outcome will be and approval is unfortunately far from guaranteed.

Reactions: shaz82 and layla009

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also really research the education options. Many provinces are mainstreaming many children with various learninf challenges. Your expectations may not meet reality. Things like aides are also being cut. Many have to pursue private education.

Reactions: layla009

layla009

Sep 1, 2019
I understand that they may reject but what new rules really are about .you are saying 20k .No health issues at all , only education .will it not cover ? Since he is also capable of depending on himself and may not need any personal support in school .

layla009

Sep 1, 2019
Nofing that he have been to Nursery and KG1 in British school with no support so far and we were hoping he would join ordinary school with other students

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not quite sure what you are expecting out of the Canadian system that was not available through the British system if you are immigrating seeking better education for your child.

Reactions: layla009

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are currently living in Uae .not uk
A private school is probably a better situation than a Canadian public school. Please have realistic expectations. I have a family friend that prefers to be posted outside Canada because the Canadian system missed her child’s learning disabilities and the family feels like their children are getting a better education abroad. With very large classroom sizes it is hard for teachers to give attention to particular students.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nofing that he have been to Nursery and KG1 in British school with no support so far and we were hoping he would join ordinary school with other students
If he can attend a regular school with zero additional support or assistance - that will certainly help your case. IRCC will most likely assess this as part of the application process. However in your original post you mentioned that one of your reasons for immigrating was because you were unable to find a proper school for his education. So this made it sound like he requires some level of support.

Ultimately none of us here can tell you if you will be successful or not. You'll have to apply and see what happens.

Good luck.

Reactions: canuck78

Sanaule

Aug 29, 2020
Hi, did you and your family end up making it to Canada?
If so, what is your experience with your little one and the schooling system? How did the kids settle in?
We’re currently living in the UAE, my husband got a job offer in Canada. Just want to know what to expect for my kiddo, she also has Down Syndrome and shes 4.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, did you and your family end up making it to Canada?
If so, what is your experience with your little one and the schooling system? How did the kids settle in?
We’re currently living in the UAE, my husband got a job offer in Canada. Just want to know what to expect for my kiddo, she also has Down Syndrome and shes 4.
Support will really depend on province and school district. Special education and school support aids are getting cut in many provinces.