+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubt - 2 references for Passport application

Aug 27, 2019
Hi,

In the website for references that are not eligible it states:
  • anyone else who’s related to you or your spouse or common-law partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, adoption or guardianship andlives at the same address as you
    • For example, if your aunt, uncle or cousin lives with you, they cannot be a reference.
Does it means that I can ask my cousins in Canada who I haven't lived in the same address to be my reference?
I want to make sure I'm reading it right.

Thanks in advance!

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hi,

• anyone else who’s related to you or your spouse or common-law partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, adoption or guardianship andlives at the same address as you
    • For example, if your aunt, uncle or cousin lives with you, they cannot be a reference.
Does it means that I can ask my cousins in Canada who I haven't lived in the same address to be my reference?

Thanks in advance!
That’s what it says.

goldeng

Aug 3, 2023
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Same question here! It is unclear whether both conditions (being a relative and living at the same address) must be met for ineligibility, or if meeting either of these conditions alone makes someone ineligible.

novoiceplus

Star Member
May 4, 2020
Same question here! It is unclear whether both conditions (being a relative and living at the same address) must be met for ineligibility, or if meeting either of these conditions alone makes someone ineligible.
your relative at the same address can be your guarantor for sure but not your reference ite very clear. Your relative at different address can be your reference as well.

Reactions: goldeng