+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the TRV remain valid after COPR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are they not doing virtual landings now, because of covid?
Before, you had to validate at port of entry or in a Services Canada Office. They are not doing appointments for this reason on Services Canada Offices, as far as I know, and port of entry is most likely for people that applied outside (not inlands) and have a PPR to travel to Canada.

As far as I understand, they can validate your COPR through the new portal page or it comes already validated.
Would this not mean that once you receive your COPR, at least for inlands, you are already a PR?
If that is the case, then you would need to wait for PR card to come back without issues, or apply for PRTD if you are outside.
Yes for applicants who are in Canada your COPR is followed with an email confirming your landing as a PR. If you are leaving Canada you should inform IRCC that you'll be out of Canada so they don't accidentally land you virtually while out of Canada which would mean you'll need a PRTD to return to Canada.

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
I think this is valid only for Outland applications. Currently for Inland CoPR, PR Status starts on the day you receive CoPR.
I received my CoPR on Nov 17, and I am travelling outside canada on Dec 11. I dont have the PR card yet. I called IRCC, and they said I have to apply PRTD to return if i dont have PR Card before leaving Canada.
Hello @iamcanadapr ,

I am in similar situation. I have received COPR and document clearly confirms that I am PR of Canada.

I have also applied for PR card by mailing my photos to my local visa office, but the PR card timelines are uncertain due to lockdowns. I am not sure until when they will print and mail the card.

I would like to know from you, how was the experience of entering Canada on PRTD? Could you please share your experience? Were there any issues?

nmdsouza

Nov 17, 2019
Hi All,
Thanks, i have received my COPR when i was in India, I'm inland applicant. I have TRV valid till August 2021. Do i need PRTD to travel back to CANADA or can i travel on TRV ?

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Hi All,
Thanks, i have received my COPR when i was in India, I'm inland applicant. I have TRV valid till August 2021. Do i need PRTD to travel back to CANADA or can i travel on TRV ?
In the CoPR document they have mention a different process to inform them in case inland applicant is outside Canada. Please inform them so that they can issue you the correct document i.e. PPR or allow you to travel on TRV.

Here is the excerpt from CoPR :

If you are currently outside of Canada, do not attempt to travel to Canada. Please contact us immediately at the following address and we will send you additional information

nmdsouza

Nov 17, 2019
In the CoPR document they have mention a different process to inform them in case inland applicant is outside Canada. Please inform them so that they can issue you the correct document i.e. PPR or allow you to travel on TRV.

Here is the excerpt from CoPR :

If you are currently outside of Canada, do not attempt to travel to Canada. Please contact us immediately at the following address and we will send you additional information
Thanks a lot Sashi, I will wait for the reply....Any idea whats the turn around time

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
I can’t find the thread anymore. Someone in this forum posted that they got COPR while outside of Canada. They informed IRCC that they are outside. IRCC cancelled the COPR, asked them to return to Canada using their TRV/BOWP. Once they’ve confirmed that they’re in Canada, IRCC reissued their COPRs. Can’t recall the timeline though but it was fairly recent.

This is just me, but I think the reason they were asked to come back with TRV/BOWP as wp holders are exempt from travel restrictions while COPR holders (issued after 18 March 2020, unless from the US) are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: creativerbl

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
I can’t find the thread anymore. Someone in this forum posted that they got COPR while outside of Canada. They informed IRCC that they are outside. IRCC cancelled the COPR, asked them to return to Canada using their TRV/BOWP. Once they’ve confirmed that they’re in Canada, IRCC reissued their COPRs. Can’t recall the timeline though but it was fairly recent.

This is just me, but I think the reason they were asked to come back with TRV/BOWP as wp holders are exempt from travel restrictions while COPR holders (issued after 18 March 2020, unless from the US) are not.
Here is something similar : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/processing-time-of-prtd-application-submitted-electronically-by-email-vac-closed-india.690791/post-9135702

Though, IRCC has issued the PPR to candidate.

indianguy11

Dec 7, 2019
Great thread! I am in a sort of similar situation and I need to plan an urgent visit to my home country. Here are my details..

CEC inland applicant. LMIA based WP valid till June 2021. Only claimed points for 1 year of work experience in Canada and not for valid job offer.
ITA: 25 Nov 2020
AOR: 1st Feb 2021
That's it! From what I have read on this forum I expect to receive my medical result soon, and since I gave biometric within last 10 years, I might be exempt from giving biometrics again. Assuming everything goes correctly with my application (touch wood), can the community please help me out with below queries..
1) Is there any other step between Biometric and COPR which requires my presence in Canada?
2) How long does it usually take to get a COPR after biometric? If it takes 2-3 months, I can plan a visit for a month and return back on my existing TRV.
3) If I leave Canada now and inform IRCC of my address change, will it potentially create problems with my application?

Thank you so much in advance for any inputs you guys can give me.

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Great thread! I am in a sort of similar situation and I need to plan an urgent visit to my home country. Here are my details..

CEC inland applicant. LMIA based WP valid till June 2021. Only claimed points for 1 year of work experience in Canada and not for valid job offer.
ITA: 25 Nov 2020
AOR: 1st Feb 2021
That's it! From what I have read on this forum I expect to receive my medical result soon, and since I gave biometric within last 10 years, I might be exempt from giving biometrics again. Assuming everything goes correctly with my application (touch wood), can the community please help me out with below queries..
1) Is there any other step between Biometric and COPR which requires my presence in Canada?
2) How long does it usually take to get a COPR after biometric? If it takes 2-3 months, I can plan a visit for a month and return back on my existing TRV.
3) If I leave Canada now and inform IRCC of my address change, will it potentially create problems with my application?

Thank you so much in advance for any inputs you guys can give me.
Here are response from my understanding :

No unless they require another biometric.

it depends on the various factors e.g. Number of applicants, travel history, Country of Birth etc. But usually it takes 3 month approximately.

Yes, The moment you change the address to any address outside Canada you will be considered as an outland applicant and currently they are not approving those files. I assume you would require to go for some personal work for a month or 2, in this case you need not to change address unless you are moving out completely.

indianguy11

Dec 7, 2019
Here are response from my understanding :

No unless they require another biometric.

it depends on the various factors e.g. Number of applicants, travel history, Country of Birth etc. But usually it takes 3 month approximately.

Yes, The moment you change the address to any address outside Canada you will be considered as an outland applicant and currently they are not approving those files. I assume you would require to go for some personal work for a month or 2, in this case you need not to change address unless you are moving out completely.
Thanks @shashi_b ! This helps me a lot. So to summarize, if covid restrictions allow inbound flights, I have 2-3 months time to safely plan a home visit.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thanks @shashi_b ! This helps me a lot. So to summarize, if covid restrictions allow inbound flights, I have 2-3 months time to safely plan a home visit.
2-3 months is a dream, probably before covid. Nowadays it takes on average 6 months or even longer to get COPR. You can check immitracker to see the trend for CEC applicants in Canada.

Reactions: shashi_b

indianguy11

Dec 7, 2019
2-3 months is a dream, probably before covid. Nowadays it takes on average 6 months or even longer to get COPR. You can check immitracker to see the trend for CEC applicants in Canada.
Thanks for guiding me to immitracker. I guess I should apply for a BOWP asap since my current WP is expiring within 4 months and COPR is most probably going to come after 4 months. I have couple of queries related to bowp as well if you dont mind,

1) If I am not in canada when the bowp permit arrives, I can still come back on my existing TRV, right? After I am inside I believe I will be on implied status with a bowp and i can start searching for a new job..
2) my wife currently has an open work permit. Will she automatically get implied status too, or does she also need to apply for a bridging open wp?