+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the TRV remain valid after COPR

manash1506

Dec 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am a CEC inland PR applicant waiting for my COPR. However, I have a TRV valid until February 2022.

I have a vacation planned to my home country next month in January 2021. So I wanted to know , Will I be able to travel back to Canada on my TRV if my COPR comes during my vacation time being me in my home country ?

Thanks in advance.

Ochenta8

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
15 -July-2020
Med's Done....
20-Sept-2020
I came here to ask the same question. Still waiting for approval but I booked a flight for Dec 20. I asked some people and they told me that because of COVID the process has change and you only need to submit photos to IRCC after approval (So you can do it online) but others told me IRCC is calling randomly to know if you are inside canada or not before approval.

Travel restrictions still until January 21 so, it will depend on the official at the airport to allow you entry or no.

Lets wait for some people opinions here.

Reactions: manash1506

manash1506

Dec 2, 2020
I came here to ask the same question. Still waiting for approval but I booked a flight for Dec 20. I asked some people and they told me that because of COVID the process has change and you only need to submit photos to IRCC after approval (So you can do it online) but others told me IRCC is calling randomly to know if you are inside canada or not before approval.

Travel restrictions still until January 21 so, it will depend on the official at the airport to allow you entry or no.

Lets wait for some people opinions here.
Thanks for the comments. Yes the process has changed a lot due to Covid . But my question is a bit on a different side . As I mentioned above also , I have a closed work permit and temporary resident visa valid until Feb 2022. So Incase I get COPR during my vacation time , Would I be still able to enter Canada on TRV or Visa is treated invalid after COPR ??
Thanks in advance..!!

swapnil14

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Reactions: manash1506

swapnil14

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Thank you Swapnil for your comment. I am really confused now. If you read the comment given by @EscoBlades , it says I can't travel as the TRV and Work-permit gets invalidated after COPR. Any opinion ??
It becomes invalid once you're a permanent resident. Getting COPR doesn't grant you PR status until you validate it. You have to validate COPR to become the permanent resident and then all your other TRV documents will be expired.
In your case, let's assume you will get a COPR when you are in your home country. You would still travel on your TRV and validate your COPR at the port of entry.
I hope this make sense!

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
It becomes invalid once you're a permanent resident. Getting COPR doesn't grant you PR status until you validate it. You have to validate COPR to become the permanent resident and then all your other TRV documents will be expired.
In your case, let's assume you will get a COPR when you are in your home country. You would still travel on your TRV and validate your COPR at the port of entry.
I hope this make sense!
+1 to the above. Well explained.

manash1506

Dec 2, 2020
I hope this make sense!
Thank you so much Swapnil. I hear you . You made me very relaxed now. Thanks a lot !!

bebopt

Oct 22, 2020
Are they not doing virtual landings now, because of covid?
Before, you had to validate at port of entry or in a Services Canada Office. They are not doing appointments for this reason on Services Canada Offices, as far as I know, and port of entry is most likely for people that applied outside (not inlands) and have a PPR to travel to Canada.

As far as I understand, they can validate your COPR through the new portal page or it comes already validated.
Would this not mean that once you receive your COPR, at least for inlands, you are already a PR?
If that is the case, then you would need to wait for PR card to come back without issues, or apply for PRTD if you are outside.

Last edited:

iamcanadapr

Nov 19, 2020
I hope this make sense!
I think this is valid only for Outland applications. Currently for Inland CoPR, PR Status starts on the day you receive CoPR.
I received my CoPR on Nov 17, and I am travelling outside canada on Dec 11. I dont have the PR card yet. I called IRCC, and they said I have to apply PRTD to return if i dont have PR Card before leaving Canada.

manash1506

Dec 2, 2020
I think this is valid only for Outland applications. Currently for Inland CoPR, PR Status starts on the day you receive CoPR.
I received my CoPR on Nov 17, and I am travelling outside canada on Dec 11. I dont have the PR card yet. I called IRCC, and they said I have to apply PRTD to return if i dont have PR Card before leaving Canada.
Okay. So how long the PRTD process takes?? And Can we get this document from IRCC before leaving Canada ?