+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the original date of entry matter for citizenship application?

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is a question for people who have lived in canada before becoming PR as a work permit or study permit holder. Does the original date of entry in confirmation of permanent residency matter for citizenship application? It looks that for lots of applicants they put the same date for original date of entry and last date which is not correct for many of inland PR applicants! would it be a problem later for citizenship application if there would be a chance in future to claim the time we spent in canada before becoming a PR as part of the required 3-4 years time?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Hi
right now under the new rules only the time as PR being physically present in Canada counts towards the citizenship requirement days.

However there is a chance during the mandate of the liberals to happen another switch and some credits to be given for the time pre-PR. When exactly this will happen or will it happen at all as of now nobody can tell.

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Politren said:
Hi
right now under the new rules only the time as PR being physically present in Canada counts towards the citizenship requirement days.

However there is a chance during the mandate of the liberals to happen another switch and some credits to be given for the time pre-PR. When exactly this will happen or will it happen at all as of now nobody can tell.
Hi Politren,
Thanks for your consideration. My question is for future in case the rules change. Since I have just received my coPR and gonna do landing this week this question came to my mind. Then I saw that error happened frequently in copr for inland PR applicants. In a sense that I have been in canada for a couple of years under study permit and work permit, I was wondering if rules change based on new government promises, would this error in copr be a problem for my citizenship application in future? Personally, I think that based on UCI number they have all records of us living in canada and this error in copr original date of entry shouldn't be a problem. what do you think?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
I also don't think that this would be a problem.
But before that let's see whether there will be any changes in the law regarding the pre-PR time.