+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does student visa misrepresentation affect PR?

messier

Sep 6, 2018
Hello! Could you advise me? I am very worried about this..

Right before applying for my student visa, I was diagnosed with hashimoto thyroiditis, and I was taking a medication for it. However, I did not disclose that I had the disease, when applying for my student visa.
When I arrived in Canada, I saw a doctor to get the prescription for the medication (I told him I was diagnosed with the disease in my country, I think he wrote it down.)
Now, I am working on preparing for Permanent residency. I am going to disclose I have the disease.
Would the application history of the student visa work againt my permanent residency?

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Any misrepresentation that affords you an advantage has the potential of causing you problems in the future. And that is any time in the future, whether you are a PR or citizen.

messier

Sep 6, 2018
Any misrepresentation that affords you an advantage has the potential of causing you problems in the future. And that is any time in the future, whether you are a PR or citizen.
Thank you for your advice. When I applied for the student visa, I didn't take it serious, because it was not a serious disease.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello! Could you advise me? I am very worried about this..

Right before applying for my student visa, I was diagnosed with hashimoto thyroiditis, and I was taking a medication for it. However, I did not disclose that I had the disease, when applying for my student visa.
When I arrived in Canada, I saw a doctor to get the prescription for the medication (I told him I was diagnosed with the disease in my country, I think he wrote it down.)
Now, I am working on preparing for Permanent residency. I am going to disclose I have the disease.
Would the application history of the student visa work againt my permanent residency?
Question being is why would you intentionally not disclose this information when applying from the get go ?
Whether it was serious or not, it was left out

messier

Sep 6, 2018
Question being is why would you intentionally not disclose this information when applying from the get go ?
Whether it was serious or not, it was left out
I thought I had to let the doctor know serious and contagious diseases. My diseases just requires me to take medication and blood work once a year .

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
The question on the visa applications asks if you have conditions that require constant medical treatment and supervision - they mean things like dialysis which require you to go into treatment regularly but not conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure or hypothyroidism for which you can just take medications. For PR, a full medical history assessment is made.

A rule of thumb is determining whether you are or potentially would need to see a doctor in Canada during your visit for any reason. So if your condition is somewhat common and needs nothing more than just medications, you do not have to worry about a misrepresentation finding on your PR, especially since the questions are different. You just have to apply normally and disclose your condition as part of your medical assessment.