+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does remote work count as Canadian work experience (working from home within Canada)?

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hi,

For the past year, I've been working for a Canadian company on a post-graduation work permit. The job was web development and was remote work which means that I worked from home while residing in Canada for the entire year.

I am going to apply for Express Entry and my question is whether CEC will accept this as Canadian work experience? I have all the required documents for proof of work such as NOA, T4, pay stub, and employment letter.

Please advise, thank you!

marianavega

Jan 17, 2018
Hi,

For the past year, I've been working for a Canadian company on a post-graduation work permit. The job was web development and was remote work which means that I worked from home while residing in Canada for the entire year.

I am going to apply for Express Entry and my question is whether CEC will accept this as Canadian work experience? I have all the required documents for proof of work such as NOA, T4, pay stub, and employment letter.

Hi, I have the same situation. Did you apply? Did that count as Canadian work experience? Thank you for your response.

Presh2019

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi,

Yes, it will be accepted, you are still employed by the company. You just have to show paystubs, employment letter, record of employment, like a recently dated letter from ur employer confirming ur employment, job duties, pay, any promotions, just ur history in the company. You don’t really need to submit T4, but it’s a record of employment so u can include that if you want.

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hi, I have the same situation. Did you apply? Did that count as Canadian work experience? Thank you for your response.
Hi, yes it will be counted as Canadian experience. As @Presh2019 mentioned, make sure to include all required documents to prove your employment. If you have T4 or NOA from CRA, submit that as well.

Dhan09

Aug 3, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-03-2020
Experience letter, pay stubs and t4 - these are enough.

Reactions: bubblycoke

Puja shalini

Star Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hi my husband has closed wp , due to covid we are stuck in india .. he worked frok aug 2019 to feb 2020 in canada , but from we are in india and he worked till August with same company under canadian payroll. will his experience be counted for cec ??
We are in pool with 470, last week we received OINP nomination letter. What are my options of he isn’t considered for cec, can v choose an option for applying OINP in FSW..
please help me with info.

Thanks in advance.

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
Hi I have a Same Situation but My Company is US based...Could some one please le me know if it will be counted as Canadian Experience

Below are the details
1.Working from home( in Canada) Ontario on Work Permit
2.Company is USA based
3.Company has tied up with PEO Canada to handle all employee details like tax CPP EI
4.Company has hired me as an employee and not as a independent contractor and I work fulltime
5.Have offer letter which specifies my work location as my house which is in Canada
6.CRA tax number and notice of assessment along with T4
7.Have proper salary slip
8.Have Employment Verification Letter
9.CPP ,EI and other federal tax are deducted from salary

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I have a Same Situation but My Company is US based...Could some one please le me know if it will be counted as Canadian Experience

Below are the details
1.Working from home( in Canada) Ontario on Work Permit
2.Company is USA based
3.Company has tied up with PEO Canada to handle all employee details like tax CPP EI
4.Company has hired me as an employee and not as a independent contractor and I work fulltime
5.Have offer letter which specifies my work location as my house which is in Canada
6.CRA tax number and notice of assessment along with T4
7.Have proper salary slip
8.Have Employment Verification Letter
9.CPP ,EI and other federal tax are deducted from salary
You should expect this will be classified as foreign work experience since you are working for an American company which doesn't have a physical presence in Canada.

Muhammad121

Jan 28, 2021
Hi, I have the same situation My Company is Canada-based, but i was working from my home country remotely. Will it be counted as Canadian Experience for Express Entry?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I have the same situation My Company is Canada-based, but i was working from my home country remotely. Will it be counted as Canadian Experience for Express Entry?
This will be classified as foreign work experience.

Reactions: Mike0921

thebiggboii

Apr 4, 2021
Thanks for your response. Do you know what are all the documents required by CIC to prove work experience?
Hi,

I have a similar situation, I have worked remotely from home for a Canadian company. But, now I am considering to travel outside Canada and continue working. Will that interfere with my PR application?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I have a similar situation, I have worked remotely from home for a Canadian company. But, now I am considering to travel outside Canada and continue working. Will that interfere with my PR application?

Thanks.
You can't count your time working abroad as Canadian experience but otherwise you can work remotely without impact to your PR application.