+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does remote work count as Canadian work experience (working from home within Canada)?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I am working for US Company,They have office at Ontario and New Brunswick, But I am doing work remotely from Nova Scotia. My Office location is set as Virtual Office-Nova Scotia. I want to apply for Nova Scotia Express entry. Will it be counted as Nova Scotia Experience to be able to apply.

They have a policy Document as per below.

https://novascotiaimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/POLICY-telework-English.pdf

Thanks
Yes if your company meets the requirements as stated in the link.

prasen070

May 11, 2022
Hi,

I will start working for a UK based firm remotely. I stay in Toronto, Ontario and have a Permanent residency status. Will this experience be considered as Canadian experience ? The Company is not registered in Canada.

Thanks.

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hi,

I will start working for a UK based firm remotely. I stay in Toronto, Ontario and have a Permanent residency status. Will this experience be considered as Canadian experience ? The Company is not registered in Canada.

Thanks.
No, it’s not considered Canadian experience. You have to be working for a company that is based in Canada.

MarkSOS

May 29, 2022
Hello, I’m living in Canada(Alberta) and I'm working for a US-based company full-time with an open work permit. They have branches in Alberta and they do all the taxes deduction on my salary slip. I hIs this count as a Canadian experience?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello, I’m living in Canada(Alberta) and I'm working for a US-based company full-time with an open work permit. They have branches in Alberta and they do all the taxes deduction on my salary slip. I hIs this count as a Canadian experience?
Who is paying you? The US part of the company or the Canadian subsidiary

Milap12

Jul 6, 2022
My wife is currently working in Canada and she is having PGWP. Now she wants to come to her home country for 2 months and her company-approved a remote work request from home country for 2 months. Now, these 2 months would be counted for the Canadian experience? She will be getting a salary in a Canadian bank only and Canadian tax will be deducted on the same.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
My wife is currently working in Canada and she is having PGWP. Now she wants to come to her home country for 2 months and her company-approved a remote work request from home country for 2 months. Now, these 2 months would be counted for the Canadian experience? She will be getting a salary in a Canadian bank only and Canadian tax will be deducted on the same.
No

Reactions: scylla

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
No, the 2 months won’t be counted as Canadian experience. If she was working remotely within Canada (for a canadian company), only then would it be counted.

Reactions: Milap12

despoboy1234

Mar 25, 2021
I worked for a company remotely in Canada but spent 15 days outside Canada and worked remotely during these 15 days. Can I count these 15 days towards my CEC as well? Or do I have to wait 15 days and apply after?

Mutazek

Mar 23, 2018
I worked for a company remotely in Canada but spent 15 days outside Canada and worked remotely during these 15 days. Can I count these 15 days towards my CEC as well? Or do I have to wait 15 days and apply after?
Any work outside Canada is not counted towards the CEC, even if you work for a Canadian Company. The requirements are 1. Be inside Canada. and 2. Work for a Canadian company, both obligatory.

Now, I have a question for anyone who is applying or already applied.

I have a PGWP, have been working for a Montreal company for 2 years, then moved to Edmonton this year. All these years have been remotely, first due to COVID and then the company authorized me to be permanent as a Remote Worker since I'm performing quite well and there's no need for me to go to the office and I have been never in the office, to be honest. All of this inside Canada, just different cities.

My questions are:
- Some questions during the application filling require me to put my place of work address, which is different from the main office address/contact address. Would that be my home if I work remotely?
- Since I already have a permanent job, do I need to put that I have a job offer or not? Since there's a part that asks about work experience, so there I filled it up with my current job details.
- There's a question about the money I will bring with me, but I already have a job here in Canada. I'm renting, paying for services and everything else. What should I put there or why I'm even being asked if I started the formulary as a CEC application?

Last edited:

bsher84

Oct 8, 2023
Hello - I'm a PR who probably won't be able maintaine my PR status since I didn't stay inside Canada for 2 years within the last five years.

I'm working for Canadian company as software engineer for about year and half now, our contract is through Upwork.com, which is US based company, while I'm working for this Canadian company I'm not always physically inside Canada, I spend a lot of time in the year outside Canada for some family commitments.

My question is in case I couldn't maintain my PR, can I then apply for Canada Experience Class?

Thank you very much!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello - I'm a PR who probably won't be able maintaine my PR status since I didn't stay inside Canada for 2 years within the last five years.

I'm working for Canadian company as software engineer for about year and half now, our contract is through Upwork.com, which is US based company, while I'm working for this Canadian company I'm not always physically inside Canada, I spend a lot of time in the year outside Canada for some family commitments.

My question is in case I couldn't maintain my PR, can I then apply for Canada Experience Class?

Thank you very much!
No. Only way to count as Canadian experience is for your Canadian employer to transfer you to its foreign office.