+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does passport expiry date affect work permit ?

rahil2952

Oct 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am currently studying at Sheridan College in 2 years diploma course under SPP. My studies will complete in April 2015 and then I have to apply for work permit. Most probably as I am enrolled in 2 years diploma course I may get 3 years work permit but the issue is my passport is expiring on Dec 2016 and I heard that if your passport expires before 3 years then I will get work permit till my passport expiry date. Is it true?

And in that case do they extend work permit after renewal of my passport so that my total work permit remains 3 years. I also heard that you can't apply for passport renewal before one year of expiration is it true?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
rahil2952 said:
I am currently studying at Sheridan College in 2 years diploma course under SPP. My studies will complete in April 2015 and then I have to apply for work permit. Most probably as I am enrolled in 2 years diploma course I may get 3 years work permit but the issue is my passport is expiring on Dec 2016 and I heard that if your passport expires before 3 years then I will get work permit till my passport expiry date. Is it true?
True.

rahil2952 said:
And in that case do they extend work permit after renewal of my passport so that my total work permit remains 3 years.
Not sure, but you can apply for a new work permit, that is for sure.

rahil2952 said:
I also heard that you can't apply for passport renewal before one year of expiration is it true?
You have to query this with your embassy. Different rules apply for different countries.

rahil2952

Oct 9, 2014
Thank you Jalex23 for your response.

As you said that I can apply for a new work permit is it also applicable to student having work permit under SPP also? Because as far as I know Student can apply only once under SPP.

And I am having an Indian Passport so if you know rules for renewal of passport then kindly share with me.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
rahil2952 said:

As you said that I can apply for a new work permit is it also applicable to student having work permit under SPP also? Because as far as I know Student can apply only once under SPP.

And I am having an Indian Passport so if you know rules for renewal of passport then kindly share with me.
No idea.

dastanmo

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 05, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
rahil2952 said:
And in that case do they extend work permit after renewal of my passport so that my total work permit remains 3 years. I also heard that you can't apply for passport renewal before one year of expiration is it true?
Yes they will extend your Post Graduation Work Permit for the remaining period that you weren't assigned only because your passport was expiring before that. I was in a similar situation and had called up CIC in this regard, they forwarded me an email which explains this passport expiry issue in PGWP applications and also included a link to the PGWP application by paper. Since it is PGWP extension, you cannot apply online. So you would have apply by paper. I just sent in my application to extend my PGWP last week but haven't heard back yet.

Regarding passport renewal, it totally depends on your county/embassy. I had heard something similar as you but I checked with my country's embassy in Canada and they said that I could renew my passport anytime regardless of how many years were left on it. In fact, I renewed my passport 1 year and 9 months before it actually expired. So check with your embassy to find out what their rules are.

It would be a very good idea to renew your passport before you apply for your PGWP - would save you the hassle of renewing it later on and who knows what rules would apply then.

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
rahil2952 said:

Typically, Indian passports are renewed if expiring within a year.

Haim

Mar 31, 2015
dastanmo said:
Yes they will extend your Post Graduation Work Permit for the remaining period that you weren't assigned only because your passport was expiring before that. I was in a similar situation and had called up CIC in this regard, they forwarded me an email which explains this passport expiry issue in PGWP applications and also included a link to the PGWP application by paper. Since it is PGWP extension, you cannot apply online. So you would have apply by paper. I just sent in my application to extend my PGWP last week but haven't heard back yet.

Regarding passport renewal, it totally depends on your county/embassy. I had heard something similar as you but I checked with my country's embassy in Canada and they said that I could renew my passport anytime regardless of how many years were left on it. In fact, I renewed my passport 1 year and 9 months before it actually expired. So check with your embassy to find out what their rules are.

It would be a very good idea to renew your passport before you apply for your PGWP - would save you the hassle of renewing it later on and who knows what rules would apply then.
I have the same situation of the passport expiry. I have a question about applying for the renewal of PGWP, how long should I apply before the current one expires, and is it mandatory to apply from inside Canada?
Thanks.

Jan 4, 2016
hello guys..
i am a international student.my study will be completed in 2017..now i am doing 2 year pg diploma..acc to this i will get 3 year work permit(march(2017) to near about march(2020))..but my passport willl expire in 2019....what i can do now ..can any body tell the solution for this problem..

Kiranmayi

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-02-2015
IELTS Request
Send with Application
Med's Done....
15-12-2015 (upfront)
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
16-03-2016
gursewak singh brar said:
hello guys..
i am a international student.my study will be completed in 2017..now i am doing 2 year pg diploma..acc to this i will get 3 year work permit(march(2017) to near about march(2020))..but my passport willl expire in 2019....what i can do now ..can any body tell the solution for this problem..
are you working in Brar? LOL :) By the way I like the food and sweets in Brar.

mahendraaaaa

Star Member
Dec 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
AOR Received.
05-09-2014
Med's Request
01-10-2015
Med's Done....
05-08-2015
Passport Req..
18-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-12-2015 (received 06-01-2016)
LANDED..........
10-01-2016 (received PR card 22-02-2016)
To anybody who is not clear:

If you are eligible for a 3-year work permit and your passport is expire before the 3-year term, you can ask for the continuing work permit after you renew your passport.

Just make sure they will know when you are applying, you are applying because your passport is renewed and that you are eligible for the missing work permit period.

Mikee21

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Beverley
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
5241/4021
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2014
AOR Received.
27-10-2014
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
09-03-16
Med's Done....
15-03-16
VISA ISSUED...
04-02-2016
LANDED..........
05-06-2016
Hi guys, just to add to this with my experience. I had this exact thing happen to me, when I applied for my 3-year post grad work permit I only had 5 months left on my passport. I figured they would issues the work permit for the 3 years and obviously it would be my responsibility to renew my own passport before it expired.

That's not how it works, CIC will only issue a work permit until the expiration date on your passport.

Yes they can extend the work permit once your passport is renewed, but the problem is as most of us know CIC call centers agents give completely different and often conflicting information depending on who you speak to. I was told I would need to leave Canada and go to Canadian consulate Buffalo NY where they would renew my WP, this was totally wrong.

I drove to Buffalo and found the consulate, paid the fee and had my WP refused because they can't issues post grad WP there, I was told I would likely now be refused entry back into Canada from the US. Fortunately the staff were Sympathetic, the officer talked to her supervisor and they gave me a letter to give to border control, the letter essentially requested they authorize my entry to Canada and issue my WP.

I was lucky that it worked out for me but please save yourself's a world of trouble and re-new your passports early. To renew your passport from Canada you simply need to contact your countries embassy, it will likely take a few weeks so do it with plenty of time.

My PR experience was literally one train wreck after another, hopefully by sharing my experience it will help someone.

kelsisun

Aug 11, 2016
Mikee21 said:
Hi guys, just to add to this with my experience. I had this exact thing happen to me, when I applied for my 3-year post grad work permit I only had 5 months left on my passport. I figured they would issues the work permit for the 3 years and obviously it would be my responsibility to renew my own passport before it expired.

That's not how it works, CIC will only issue a work permit until the expiration date on your passport.

Yes they can extend the work permit once your passport is renewed, but the problem is as most of us know CIC call centers agents give completely different and often conflicting information depending on who you speak to. I was told I would need to leave Canada and go to Canadian consulate Buffalo NY where they would renew my WP, this was totally wrong.

I drove to Buffalo and found the consulate, paid the fee and had my WP refused because they can't issues post grad WP there, I was told I would likely now be refused entry back into Canada from the US. Fortunately the staff were Sympathetic, the officer talked to her supervisor and they gave me a letter to give to border control, the letter essentially requested they authorize my entry to Canada and issue my WP.

I was lucky that it worked out for me but please save yourself's a world of trouble and re-new your passports early. To renew your passport from Canada you simply need to contact your countries embassy, it will likely take a few weeks so do it with plenty of time.

My PR experience was literally one train wreck after another, hopefully by sharing my experience it will help someone.
Hi, Can you please tell me what did you do to extend your PGWP? My old passport will expire in Apr 2017, so will my PGWP. I have got a new passport. Should I just mail them all the doc that I used when I first applied and a letter of explanation? Do I need to pay the fees on CIC website and attach the receipt in the mail? Do you know the address that I should mail the application to?

Thanks very much~~

Aldubers

Aug 24, 2016
Hi there.. I think I am eligible for 3yrs work permit but only given less than two years because of the expiration of my passport. I have now my RENEWED passport. How can now I apply for the continuity of my work permit? I am going through the normal work permit process? How will I do it? I am really confused..hope u can give me the soonest reply...thank you

Divi707

Sep 19, 2014
Hi
i am and international student in canada and completed my studies of 2 years recently in the month of september. I got my transcripts by the end of november and the by second week of december I applied for PG work permit ans waiting for the result.
My passport is expiring by mid of june 2017. Today somebody told me that they issue work permit based on the passport term.
So does that mean that i will get work permit for just 5 or 6 months or for 3 yrs ?