+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does NOC Code have wage requirement in (CEC) Canadian Experience Class?

CEC2018

Aug 11, 2018
I had a refusal of my P.R application after being invited to apply through express entry.

Reasons stated were:

1. Job duties does not match the NOC CODE.
2. My salary lies below the stated range of salary for my region.

I am trying to apply again with a different NOC Code. Please help me understand a few things here:

1. Can I produce a new reference letter from my employer stating the job title and description that fits the new NOC code.
2. Is there a wage requirement to be met for CEC?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=665&top=29

There is no wage requirement. However, what I think may have happened is that you were offered a salary below minimum wage for a 30h/wk job?

Would help if you list the NOC and wage.

Re-applying with a different reference letter for the same position will raise suspicion - someone else will have to confirm but I think it's likely the VO will just reject it again. At the very least will need to be accompanied by an LOE with a very good motivation on why the reference letter changed.

Reactions: DGUNPREET

Pavan49

May 10, 2018
What were the reasons mentioned in the refusal letter
There is no minimum wage requirements for cec

CEC2018

Aug 11, 2018

There is no wage requirement. However, what I think may have happened is that you were offered a salary below minimum wage for a 30h/wk job?

Re-applying with a different reference letter for the same position will raise suspicion - someone else will have to confirm but I think it's likely the VO will just reject it again. At the very least will need to be accompanied by an LOE with a very good motivation on why the reference letter changed.
I applied for NOC 2233 as a quality control inspector with a salary of $15/ hr in Toronto region. However, my hours worked are way above 40 every week. So my annual pay sums up to 41000 in that year.

The reason stated in the letter was my job duties doesn't match NOC Code I applied for. I am currently trying to re apply with NOC 7231 as the description fits that of a Machined Parts Inspector.

CEC2018

Aug 11, 2018

What were the reasons mentioned in the refusal letter
There is no minimum wage requirements for cec
Reasons stayed in my refusal letter were:

1. My job duties doesnt match the NOC Code I applied for.
2. My salary falls below the hourly range of wage for Toronto region.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Reasons stayed in my refusal letter were:

1. My job duties doesnt match the NOC Code I applied for.
2. My salary falls below the hourly range of wage for Toronto region.
For 1, you should re-assess what NOC code actually fits the role the most, and re-apply with that.

For 2, minimum wage is $14/hr in Ontario. You should take a very good look at what's listed in your reference letter - particularly hours worked, and annual salary. When taking these numbers into account, would your wage actually work out to be at least 14.00/hr?

At 41K annual, the maximum hours/week listed on a reference should be 57hrs....any higher than that, and it will work out to be less than 14.00.

CEC2018

Aug 11, 2018
For 1, you should re-assess what NOC code actually fits the role the most, and re-apply with that.

For 2, minimum wage is $14/hr in Ontario. You should take a very good look at what's listed in your reference letter - particularly hours worked, and annual salary. When taking these numbers into account, would your wage actually work out to be at least 14.00/hr?

At 41K annual, the maximum hours/week listed on a reference should be 57hrs....any higher than that, and it will work out to be less than 14.00.
While reapplying with NOC 7231, should I change the title on my reference letter to match the NOC Code?

Wages for NOC 2233 in Toronto region is above CAD 17.80 as stated in my refusal letter.

MY SALARY: $15/hr
Annual wage earnt: $41,000

Title matches NOC 2233 but duties matches NOC 7231.

GOT REFUSED WHEN I APPLIED WITH NOC 2233. Not sure how to proceed now.

CEC2018

Aug 11, 2018
Job Title: Quality Control Inspector

Job Status: July 11, 2016 to July 21, 2017

Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work from complicated engineering drawings, sketches, blueprints, operation sheets and specifications, using standard methods and procedures to inspect machined parts and tools.

• Inspect machined parts using precision measuring instruments such as Vernier height gages, bore gauges, micrometers, Vernier calipers, dial protractors, optical comparators, co-ordinate measuring machines (CMM), gage blocks, profilometer, chamfer gages etc. to verify various linear, angular dimensions and Geometric Tolerances.

• Ensure that the dimensions of machined parts conform to specifications listed in the part drawing.

• Prepare Inspection reports documenting the deviations occurred on machined parts indicating acceptable items, variant parts requiring corrective work, or unacceptable items requiring Quality Review action.

• Submit deviation reports from specifications and tolerances to Supervisor for review.

• Calibrate precision measuring tools such as thread gages, dial indicators, height gauges, micrometers etc. and maintain calibration records in order to conform with Quality Control Standards.

• Follow established procedures to install appropriate probe for work, calibrate probes, check fixtures, locate datums or center of parts, check master part against inspection method sheets (IMS) and inspect parts are required by IMS sheets.

• Train on the more complex CMMs and assist higher grade CMM inspectors as required.

Work Hours: 40 hrs. per week plus overtime, if any.

Help me find the right NOC Code to apply for.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Title matches NOC 2233 but duties matches NOC 7231.
That says it all. You are supposed to select the NOC based on job duties and responsibilities. Period. Your job title does not need to match the NOC - it is what your employer says it is, and employers vary greatly on assignment of job titles. So you MUST go by the job duties and responsibilities, as instructed by IRCC.

Since your selected NOC did not match your job duties and responsibilities, the VO went a step further to investigate, and found that your wage/salary was not comparable to the selected NOC either. There is no salary requirement, but it has to be reasonable given the NOC. In your case, it was simply used as additional evidence that you selected the wrong NOC.

SO - you can re-apply with the correct NOC. You do not need to change anything else.

Unfortunately, if you select the wrong NOC, VOs can summarily refuse the application. They simply cannot run an "express entry" program if they have to search out applicants' correct NOC. Frustrating, I know, but IRCC tells you (and members of this forum say the same thing dozens of time every day) - select the NOC based on job duties and responsibilities, not job title. You also need to read the lead statement to make sure you are in the right type of organization/industry.

I agree, your duties/responsibilities fit NOC 7231 much better.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I applied for NOC 2233 as a quality control inspector with a salary of $15/ hr in Toronto region. However, my hours worked are way above 40 every week. So my annual pay sums up to 41000 in that year.
A "salary" is a fixed sum regardless of hours worked. If you are paid $15 / hour, that is an hourly wage, not a salary (does not matter, still eligible, but better to use the right terms.and avoid confusion...)

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Unfortunately, if you select the wrong NOC, VOs can summarily refuse the application.
Off-topic, but how likely is this to happen if at least the Minor group matches? I applied with NOC-2255 and my Minor group also contains NOC 2251 to 2254. The job responsibilities are a mixture of 2252-2253-2255, mostly matching 2252 and 2253, but my education and title match 2255.

Depending on the exact nature of one's job it's very easy to have a job that partially matches several NOC codes, but not matching any of them fully. I previously received an IEC - Young Professionals visa for this job based on NOC-2255.

Last edited:

Pavan49

May 10, 2018
Is it possible to you post the reject reasons from your refusal letter
Mismatch of noc make sense but the another reason stating your pay is less than the median wage is not a valid requirement according to the cec rules I think you can reapply with correct noc code but I would prefer to take the suggestions from any good lawyer

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Off-topic, yes, this scenario is a bit different from the OP's.

but how likely is this to happen if at least the Minor group matches?
I suspect you will be able to tell us very soon - alas, the best answer is "it depends" on how close they are, in the mind of the VO...

I applied with NOC-2255 and my Minor group also contains NOC 2251 to 2254. The job responsibilities are a mixture of 2252-2253-2255, mostly matching 2252 and 2253, but my education and title match 2255 . . . Depending on the exact nature of one's job it's very easy to have a job that partially matches several NOC codes, but not matching any of them fully. I previously received an IEC - Young Professionals visa for this job based on NOC-2255.
Yes, there are often (at least on the surface) overlapping job duties and responsibilities, your task is to chose the one the best fits overall (very important to look at the lead statement as well). Can't really comment without seeing the list of duties/responsibilities . But in this scenario (where a job truly mixes two NOCs),I usually suggest writing a letter of explanation about why both NOCs "fit" and why you chose the one you did.

Reactions: jeet1795

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I didn't include anything of that in my LOE, so I will await and see what they do with my application. As my current work permit is based on an application for a NOC-2255 job, and the duties/responsibilities are still exactly the same, I assume it's likely they will approve it a second time.

My main concern with applying with 2252/2253 experience is that while my duties/responsibilities show more resemblance to 2252 and 2253, these NOCs require industrial design/engineering degrees which I do not have - and my 1yr work experience likely can't subtitute this.

Last edited:

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
A "salary" is a fixed sum regardless of hours worked. If you are paid $15 / hour, that is an hourly wage, not a salary (does not matter, still eligible, but better to use the right terms.and avoid confusion...)
Hello everyone, can you please help me by answering the following question? I have a job offer and currently finishing up my 11th month. I work as a Water Resource Engineer-in-Training in Toronto (which is NOC 2131-Civil Engineer). My problem is I get paid 23.08$/hr but the low wage in Canada and Ontario is 24.08$ according to canada job bank website. Do you think it would be wise for me to apply for PR or should I wait to get a raise and then apply next year?
Please advise! Thank you in advance.