+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my Study Permit Expires if I renew my passport?

yasir194

Nov 5, 2013
Hi guys,
So I am graduating next month, and have to apply for my post grad work permit but before doing that I am getting my passport renewed (even though its valid until June 2015). My study permit is valid until August 31st 2014 but does it stay valid if I renew my passport? I need it to be valid when I apply for my post grad work permit.

Also do you guys think its a good idea to renew my passport before applying for the post grad work permit? I did a four year degree so I am eligible for a 3 year post grad work permit, but since my passport is only valid until june 2015 I didn't wanna go through the hassle of trying to get my permit extended later on also I am not sure if prospective employers would be reluctant to hire me if the work permit is just for a year or so.

I am based in Calgary and I will have to travel to Toronto to get my passport renewed.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yasir194 said:
Hi guys,
So I am graduating next month, and have to apply for my post grad work permit but before doing that I am getting my passport renewed (even though its valid until June 2015). My study permit is valid until August 31st 2014 but does it stay valid if I renew my passport? I need it to be valid when I apply for my post grad work permit.

Also do you guys think its a good idea to renew my passport before applying for the post grad work permit? I did a four year degree so I am eligible for a 3 year post grad work permit, but since my passport is only valid until june 2015 I didn't wanna go through the hassle of trying to get my permit extended later on also I am not sure if prospective employers would be reluctant to hire me if the work permit is just for a year or so.

I am based in Calgary and I will have to travel to Toronto to get my passport renewed.
First of all - irrespective of how many times you renew your passport or study permit, PGWP is granted based the program you completed, the length of the program. If it's a four year program, you will get PGWP of 3 to 5 years. If you renew your passport, you will need to (not extend, but get a new study permit issued), However, TRV on the old passport stays valid. Now considering your passport is valid till June 2015 and study permit till august 2014, you shouldn't renew it unless it's damaged or lost. Passport renewal doesn't take more than 2 to 3 weeks in Canada (from India Consulate - assuming you from India). You should renew it once your study permit is over and you are done with studies. You will have 90 days time to apply for PGWP.

yasir194

Nov 5, 2013
I am actually done school this December. So I don't really need a new study permit but I still need a valid study permit for the PGWP (also, the study permit expires August 2014 just cuz I am graduating a semester earlier). But I get what you're saying: It wont be valid with my new passport right?

So I am going to be applying for my PGWP in January. So does that rule out the option of renewing the passport right now since I wont have a valid study permit if I renew it? And I wont be eligible to apply for another study permit since I am done school. And you NEED a valid study permit in order to apply for the PGWP.

Oh and I checked with CIC they said you cant be issues a PGWP that exceeds the validity of your passport but since its based on your program of study and you'll be eligible for a 3 year PGWP you can apply for an extension based on that once you have a new passport in 2015.

Sorry for the complicated questions and thanks a lot for your response bud.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not complicated, quite often we can see such cases. If you will be completing your studies by December 2013 and SP is valid till August 2014, I don't see any reason for worry at all. After you have finished your studies, you will have 90 days time to apply for PGWP. In January, you should apply for renewal of passport and once you have received it, apply for PGWP. And should you decide not to renew your passport at the moment, they will issue you PGWP for a period not exceeding your passport validity date. But it doesn't mean you won't get the remaining balance period of PGWP, once you renew the passport, you can renew the PGWP as well. But why to get into any kind of complication and it will attract another PGWP fee as well. So, in January first week, apply for passport renewal and then apply for PGWP.

yasir194

Nov 5, 2013
But then wouldn't the study permit become invalid if I have a new passport (since it has the old passport info on it) and I am applying for the PGWP with the new passport? (as you mentioned earlier when you said that I will have to apply for a new study permit if I renew my passport) and you HAVE to have a valid study permit while applying for the PGWP.

And thanks again for all the help, really appreciate this!

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, it won't be a problem. For your piece of mind, you can write an email to CIC inquiring about the same (although I am pretty optimistic you will hear the same reply).

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
Hi guys,

I would like to ask the same question but with other situation.
I have the same matters with you yasir194. My passport will expired on December 28, 2015 and I am expecting to get 3 years post graduation work permit as I did a 2 years college diploma in Toronto. I will be graduating on June 2014, so would it be better to renew my passport before I apply the PGWP as the validity of my passport is only 1 more year before it expired?

I am confused about the problem you mentioned above as well, if I renewed my passport, will it be alright if I don't renew the study permit as the study permit contain the information of my previous passport instead of the renewed one? Should I renewed my study permit as well? As I know we need to have the valid study permit in order to apply for PGWP. Or would it be okay to renewed the passport but still hold the study permit with the information of my previous passport?

My other question is I am currently having my internship program in Brazil and I will be returning to Toronto on June 8, but my study permit valid until June 30, so if I renewed my passport by the time I return to Toronto right away and apply for the PGWP after I got my renewed passport (I believed I will get the renewed passport before June 30 so I will apply the PGWP with a renewed passport and the valid study permit), but will it be alright if the study permit expired while I am waiting for the PGWP? ( I think the processing time takes a while and should be longer than June 30).

I am so sorry if my situation is complicated but I really need help and I hope you guys can help me as I know you guys went through the same problem as mine before.
Thank you so much and hope to hear the respond and suggestion from you soon.

harrygne

Star Member
Jun 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh (online)
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Passport Req..
08-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
land on 20-08-2014
Seniors please help in this case....

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
se2858 said:
Hi guys,

I would like to ask the same question but with other situation.
I have the same matters with you yasir194. My passport will expired on December 28, 2015 and I am expecting to get 3 years post graduation work permit as I did a 2 years college diploma in Toronto. I will be graduating on June 2014, so would it be better to renew my passport before I apply the PGWP as the validity of my passport is only 1 more year before it expired?
y permit with the information of my previous passport?

suggestion from you soon.
You shouldn't worry either. Assuming you graduate in january 2015, and apply with existing passport which expires in december 2015. You shall get a PGWP not exceeding your passport validity date. However, once you receive the approval on mycic, you will see a note talking about hold on rest of your eligible pgwp period which means once you renew it, you shall receive rest of the PGWP.

It's good though to renew your passport in good time then apply for PGWP as it not only saves PGWP fee (which you will end up paying second time if you apply again) but also gives you peace of mind. and some employers (if you do get a good employer, i mean with a good job) do look at the permit available with you.

Cheers!

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
hi,

thanks for the respond.
Yes it would be better if I renew my passport before apply the pgwp. I am still wondering if i renew my passport, is it alright not to renew my study permit because the stud permit contain all the information about the old passport not the renewed one?
But i think i might not eligible to renew my study permit as I am graduating this june without taking anymore school, so i think i might not get the renew study permit.

I have another question, if i apply the pgwp before june 30 which is the expired date of my study permit, and the processing time past the expired date which is longer than june 30, can i still stay in canada while waiting the pgwp? as i dont have any permit to stay in canada because my sp is expired.

hope to hear your respond, I really appreciated your help.
Thank you very much.

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
i mean will my study permit be invalid if i change or renew my passport? eventhough the validity until 30 june and i will renew the passport on may, but i will still attach the sp and old passport with the new one.

thank you, i hope its clear enough to understand.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
se2858 said:
i mean will my study permit be invalid if i change or renew my passport? eventhough the validity until 30 june and i will renew the passport on may, but i will still attach the sp and old passport with the new one.

thank you, i hope its clear enough to understand.
In my view, you need to renew the study permit. and of course when you apply for renewal or pgwp, you need to upload both passports and all SPs issued.

So as your study permit is till 30th june, and i am guessing that your studies will be over by may and if that's the case, you should get your result by june. So you can apply for renewal of passport on may 15th, and by the time your result is out and new passport arrives, it will be june 15 or 30th and then you can apply for pgwp with new passport and attaching the existing SP.

Hope it helps.

Lets wait to hear from others too!

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
okay, i understand what you mean. thank you so much for the reply.

So if that the case, lets say i got my renew passport on june 15 and i apply the pgwp before june 30 (before my sp expired), can i still stay in canada while my sp is expired? (assuming that the pgwp process will take longer than june 30)

is it okay if i still stay in canada while my sp is expired (june 30) but while i am waiting for the pgwp to be done? (staying in canada while waiting the processing time for pgwp, without any valid permit as my sp is expired on june 30)

i hope to hear your suggestion as i really dont know how this works.
thank you so much.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
"You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit"
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
hi mead,

yes, i will apply pgwp within the validity of my study permit.
my sp will expired on june 30 and i will apply pgwp before that date (before the expired date).

but my question is, while my pgwp is being process and i assume the pgwp will be done after june 30 which is the expired date of my sp, can i stil stay in canada while waiting the pgwp to be done?

assuming i will apply the pgwp on june 15, so it will be done lets say 1 month later, for example july 15. but my study permit expired on june 30, so i will not have any study permit again to stay in canada (from june30 because my sp is expired), so can i still stay in canada while waiting the pgwp to be done?

i hope its clear enough, i am so sorry to make it complicated.
hope you can help me. thank you very much.