+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does India still have a high number of marriages of convenience?

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
I've been doing some research and it seems like India has historically been a country that engaged in a high number of marriages of convenience. Needless to say, this adversely effects those of us that have a genuine marriage and are simply looking to bring over our spouse.

Some articles mention that not all of India is high risk, but rather specific states like Punjab and Gujrat.

This is an older article, but it reveals how marriages of convenience in India have become a threat to the integrity of Canada’s immigration program:
https://voiceonline.com/marriages-of-convenience-in-india-threaten-integrity-of-canadas-immigration-program-cbsa-report/

If you're interested, please read this too:
https://pacelawfirm.com/higher-burden-of-proof-needed-in-deciding-a-marriage-of-convenience/

What are your guys' thoughts? Does India still engage in a high number of marriages of convenience or has the practice died down since it seems that a vast majority of those coming in are now students? I also wonder if COVID has impacted these "bogus" marriages?

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020
I've been doing some research and it seems like India has historically been a country that engaged in a high number of marriages of convenience. Needless to say, this adversely effects those of us that have a genuine marriage and are simply looking to bring over our spouse.

Some articles mention that not all of India is high risk, but rather specific states like Punjab and Gujrat.

This is an older article, but it reveals how marriages of convenience in India have become a threat to the integrity of Canada’s immigration program:
https://voiceonline.com/marriages-of-convenience-in-india-threaten-integrity-of-canadas-immigration-program-cbsa-report/

https://pacelawfirm.com/higher-burden-of-proof-needed-in-deciding-a-marriage-of-convenience/

What are your guys' thoughts? Does India still engage in a high number of marriages of convenience or has the practice died down since it seems that a vast majority of those coming in are now students? I also wonder if COVID has impacted these "bogus" marriages?
Its better to leave it to IRCC, to decide marriage is fake or real.
If you have any questions regarding sponsorship then people will be happy to answer it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I think it does. Helps all Indian applicants understand how IRCC might scrutinize applications from their more heavily than from other regions.
It is a loaded question to ask on this forum. While marriage of convenience does exist, your focus on India as part of the question is placing an unfair / lens on India, brushing all Indians as potential fraudsters for marriage of convenience. IRCC decides who are committing marriage fraud or not based on evidence submitted to them. There is a reason why IRCC requires "original" documents from some countries as opposed to photocopies. This is based on history/prevalence of fraud in specific countries. This also is based on the immigration fraud on all accounts, not just marriage of convenience for PR, but also in Express Visa, refugee and PGP programs. These people who committed fraud are the bad apples that spoils the barrel. It is a damn if you do / damn if you don't kind of question. No matter what answer you give, it will either offend someone on one side the spectrum or the other.

There are already people out there offering fake Covid vaccination records already to those who either doesn't want to get the vaccine but still want to travel across borders or those who doesn't want to wait for their 2nd vaccine shots to travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: cj7 and canuckkiwi

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
It is a loaded question to ask on this forum. While marriage of convenience does exist, your focus on India as part of the question is placing an unfair / lens on India, brushing all Indians as potential fraudsters for marriage of convenience. IRCC decides who are committing marriage fraud or not based on evidence submitted to them. There is a reason why IRCC requires "original" documents from some countries as opposed to photocopies. This is based on history/prevalence of fraud in specific countries. This also is based on the immigration fraud on all accounts, not just marriage of convenience for PR, but also in Express Visa, refugee and PGP programs. These people who committed fraud are the bad apples that spoils the barrel. It is a damn if you do / damn if you don't kind of question. No matter what answer you give, it will either offend someone on one side the spectrum or the other.
Right. I'm not trying to paint anyone with a broad brush or anything like that. It's more of a generic question of sorts. From various articles I've found online, it's abundantly clear that pre 2010 (maybe even 2012ish) India was a huge problem for IRCC because of sham marriages. I'm wondering if these fraudulent activities have reduced since the introduction of the various other immigration streams now readily available. I think it's a meaningful discussion to have because it allows those who are applying from India to understand the level of fraud/scams that IRCCs officials there deal with and why they have certain protocols in place. The intent is not to offend anyone in anyway; just trying to have a civil discussion on this topic.

Reactions: kpaxian

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Right. I'm not trying to paint anyone with a broad brush or anything like that. It's more of a generic question of sorts. From various articles I've found online, it's abundantly clear that pre 2010 (maybe even 2012ish) India was a huge problem for IRCC because of sham marriages. I'm wondering if these fraudulent activities have reduced since the introduction of the various other immigration streams now readily available. I think it's a meaningful discussion to have because it allows those who are applying from India to understand the level of fraud/scams that IRCCs officials there deal with and why they have certain protocols in place. The intent is not to offend anyone in anyway; just trying to have a civil discussion on this topic.
I agree that it was never your intention paint everyone with a broad brush. With today's politically correctness going on, you will never get "meaningful adult conversation" any more without someone getting easily offended. There is no middle ground. It is pretty much, "If you have a difference opinion from mine, you're a bigot / fascist / anti-fa / (insert name here)".

Reactions: kanislupos

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
I agree that it was never your intention paint everyone with a broad brush. With today's politically correctness going on, you will never get "meaningful adult conversation" any more without someone getting easily offended. There is no middle ground. It is pretty much, "If you have a difference opinion from mine, you're a bigot / fascist / anti-fa / (insert name here)".
Yeah, it's unfortunate. This type of thinking hinders otherwise meaningful discussions to happen.

Reactions: kanislupos

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020

The problem is bigger than you think.

canuckkiwi

Star Member
Feb 27, 2021
I think it does. Helps all Indian applicants understand how IRCC might scrutinize applications from their more heavily than from other regions.
A lot of countries do fake marriages not just India as those articles clearly state. Those articles are also quite old. Obviously IRCC has guidelines on every culture and how marriages are done in a culture.

Reactions: Harrysingh04

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Your topic is an Indian problem, not a Canadian. Our Canadian culture is very different, as you probably already figured out..

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Your topic is an Indian problem, not a Canadian. Our Canadian culture is very different, as you probably already figured out..
Disagree, immigration fraud is a Canadian problem. Not sure what you're point is in trying to somehow tie this in with Canadian culture? This is a question pertaining to Canadian immigration fraud carried out by an external country.