+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does "immediate family" include half-siblings that you've never even met?

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I received an ITA and I'm now filling out the section about my wife's "immediate family".

I see that the dropdown box includes an option for "half-sister". My wife has a half-sister whose name she doesn't even remember and who she's never even met. My father-in-law had her out of wedlock many years before marrying my wife's mother, so they didn't grow up together.

Do we need to track down her name and date of birth? Or can we omit her from the form?

Thanks

Reactions: Pirojok

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No one even knows the first name of the sister? If not, put Unknown for everything and explain on a separate sheet.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
No one even knows the first name of the sister? If not, put Unknown for everything and explain on a separate sheet.
Is it really necessary to include her at all? She has no real-life relationship whatsoever with my wife and is probably not officially listed as my father-in-law's daughter in the Costa Rican national registry...

My wife would *really* rather avoid mentioning her at all. Would the Canadian government track down and contact her, for example?

Thanks

Dedicated

Aug 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does not matter if they met, ever talked, love or hate each other.
You have to list the siblings. Half-sibling is also a sibling.

You can ask this question as many times as you want. The answer will remain the same.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Zoide said:
Is it really necessary to include her at all? She has no real-life relationship whatsoever with my wife and is probably not officially listed as my father-in-law's daughter in the Costa Rican national registry...

My wife would *really* rather avoid mentioning her at all. Would the Canadian government track down and contact her, for example?
She has a half-sister. She knows she has a half-sister. Omitting that fact is misrepresentation. You decide if you want to commit fraud.

The Canadian government is not going to waste time and money tracking down the random unknown half-sister of one of the hundreds of thousands of people immigrating to Canada...

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fine, we'll see if we can track down the half-sister's name and birth date.

I appreciate the information, but there's no need to be rude. I hope that not everyone in Canada is so curt :eek:

If I were a dishonest person who intended to defraud someone, I wouldn't even have bothered to ask about the proper way to do things and whether there were exceptions and such.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Well as someone once told me "you don't get to pick and choose the rules CIC set. Either give them the information or lie".

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017
I had a similar problem with my wife's estranged father. He dies a few years ago and although we knew the year and month, did not know the exact date.

I put an approximate date and explained it in the LoE. You could do the same, but the recommended course of action is to track her down and get the right information if possible.

Good luck!

Negyiri

Mar 10, 2018
Sudan
She has a half-sister. She knows she has a half-sister. Omitting that fact is misrepresentation. You decide if you want to commit fraud.

The Canadian government is not going to waste time and money tracking down the random unknown half-sister of one of the hundreds of thousands of people immigrating to Canada...
please what did you do eventually?