+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does CIC exclude "probation" period for work experience?

Kirchenbomb

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
I have 2 questions about work experience:
- I am claiming for 3 years work experience but of those 3 years 6 months was the probation period. Will CIC consider it as 3 years? My job and duties have been the same since the start of my work experience.

- The date on which you became qualified in the NOC..
I have been in Technical Sales since 2006 in the same company say Company X. then i quit in 2012 to pursue my Masters. I rejoined in 2014 in a sales role again in Company X. Please note it was not a sabbatical. I have relieving letter etc of the first stint. Since I am claiming experience from 2014(ie.3 yrs) what should be the date I became qualified? should it be 2014 or 2006?

Any views would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
I have 2 questions about work experience:
- I am claiming for 3 years work experience but of those 3 years 6 months was the probation period. Will CIC consider it as 3 years? My job and duties have been the same since the start of my work experience.

- The date on which you became qualified in the NOC..
I have been in Technical Sales since 2006 in the same company say Company X. then i quit in 2012 to pursue my Masters. I rejoined in 2014 in a sales role again in Company X. Please note it was not a sabbatical. I have relieving letter etc of the first stint. Since I am claiming experience from 2014(ie.3 yrs) what should be the date I became qualified? should it be 2014 or 2006?

Any views would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I'm also employed as Technical Sales for almost a year now. Can you give me any advice regarding the reference letter?

Thanks in advance.

tam_garg

Jul 1, 2018
Hi,
I'm also employed as Technical Sales for almost a year now. Can you give me any advice regarding the reference letter?

Thanks in advance.
1. I am sure that you were paid during the 6 months probation period, right? then YES.
2. 2006
I have a similar question.
I have been working as trainee in the company from 2011 till 2012(paid),on probation 2012 to 2013(paid) and as engineer from 2013 to Jan 2018.Running on sabbatical since jan 2018 till date. What dates should I put in from and to column of the work experience in express entry profile. Should I check the box 'this is my current job' as I am on sabbatical while still an employee as I am receiving house rent allowance from the company.

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
I have a similar question.
I have been working as trainee in the company from 2011 till 2012(paid),on probation 2012 to 2013(paid) and as engineer from 2013 to Jan 2018.Running on sabbatical since jan 2018 till date. What dates should I put in from and to column of the work experience in express entry profile. Should I check the box 'this is my current job' as I am on sabbatical while still an employee as I am receiving house rent allowance from the company.
If you are still employed with the same employer, you should include every position held in that company such as:

Trainee period from ... to...;
Probation period from...to...
Engineer from... to ....
I recommend you not include The sabbatical period since its irrelevant. However if you were employed as an engineer from your probation period till 2018 you should claim experience from it only.
You can also write and submit a letter of explanation about your sabbatical period if you are still claiming funds from this employer.

tam_garg

Jul 1, 2018
1. I am sure that you were paid during the 6 months probation period, right? then YES.
2. 2006
If you are still employed with the same employer, you should include every position held in that company such as:

Engineer from... to ....
I recommend you not include The sabbatical period since its irrelevant. However if you were employed as an engineer from your probation period till 2018 you should claim experience from it only.
You can also write and submit a letter of explanation about your sabbatical period if you are still claiming funds from this employer.
sir as in the other thread i understood that if my probation/training was paid I could use that as my work experience.Excluding the sabbatical makes perfect sense. Also there is no option in express entry profile to enter diffferent categories of work experience. We can only enter since and to.

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018

Engineer from... to ....
I recommend you not to include The sabbatical period since its irrelevant. However if you were employed as an engineer from your probation period till 2018 you should claim experience from i
sir as in the other thread i understood that if my probation/training was paid I could use that as my work experience.Excluding the sabbatical makes perfect sense. Also there is no option in express entry profile to enter diffferent categories of work experience.

If your duties and job title are different between those periods while you were employed CIC wants you to include all the positions you were while working for that employer.

If you were a trainee first and then started on probation as an engineer just put your experience after your trainee program. However, if the trainee program is only a company’s policy and therefore not official on paper and your job title was the same as now even though you were a trainee then it won’t be a problem to claim the whole experience from 2011 to 2018 which is 7 years. Regarding the profile you should just include the latest position in that company or the position you had gained most of experience. After receiving an ITA you should ask your supervisor to include all positions you were officially employed in while working for that company in your letter of reference.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Probation is not a separate position, it is only a period over which different notice requirements apply. From express entry point of view, it is all the same position with the same job responsibilities. So unless the employer insists on mentioning this as a separate period, it need not even be discussed. If the employer letter mentions this period, as long as the entire duration is mentioned under the same job title and responsbilities, it will not make any difference.

Reactions: hamgha