+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does CIC allow forwarding mail to a Canadian address

handsomeishere

Feb 10, 2011
Hello

I am going to my brother's house for a couple of weeks out of the province do not know the exact date , firstly want to make sure the mail forwarding issue , I have already pass the test, so I want to have piece of mind while I go and meet my brother I want to make sure that I get any mails from the CIC , since a few members on this forum mentioned that some times the E-cas does not change or show any progress in the application process so my question is, does CIC allow forwarding to a Canadian address ,I phoned Canada post , the lady on the other side was super nice and said that some government departments do not allow mail forwarding but did not knnow which one, your input is highly appreciated.

Cheers

amazing21

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
handsomeishere said:
Hello

I am going to my brother's house for a couple of weeks out of the province do not know the exact date , firstly want to make sure the mail forwarding issue , I have already pass the test, so I want to have piece of mind while I go and meet my brother I want to make sure that I get any mails from the CIC , since a few members on this forum mentioned that some times the E-cas does not change or show any progress in the application process so my question is, does CIC allow forwarding to a Canadian address ,I phoned Canada post , the lady on the other side was super nice and said that some government departments do not allow mail forwarding but did not knnow which one, your input is highly appreciated.

Cheers

No.. dont change your address online. Cic will understand that you moved places this isnt good for you.. Just go to the post office and pay mail forwarding for the amount of time that you need

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
handsomeishere said:
Thanks so it means CIC allows mail forwarding ?
actually i will not do both because:

a) there were instances where letters were not mailed to the right address even though the address was changed online. The online system that cic has is not reliable at all.
b) CIC might understand that you have moved and will try to put you in the oath ceremony of the other Province.
c) cic does not do mail forwarding.. its Canada Post.

Since you are gone for 2 weeks, arrange a friend to check the mails for you is the best.

Reactions: JPBless

handsomeishere

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks very much, :), for example if I decide to go with the option of mail forwarding and ask Canada mail to forward my mail would CIC allow mail forwarding ? I know for sure that mails from CRA cannot be forwarded( according to Canada post lady) , would CIC allow its mail tobe forwarded by the Canada post ? thanks again :)
sept15 said:

a) there were instances where letters were not mailed to the right address even though the address was changed online. The online system that cic has is not reliable at all.
b) CIC might understand that you have moved and will try to put you in the oath ceremony of the other Province.

Since you are gone for 2 weeks, arrange a friend to check the mails for you is the best.

strawberrylemonade

Apr 1, 2015
sept15 said:

Mailing address and home address are two different concepts. CIC uses home address as a reference to arrange your oath or test.

In terms of reliability, it has always been good for me. I have changed my mailing addresses two times and keeping my home address the same. I don't have any issues with that. If CIC sent to the wrong address, it is certainly not your responsbility.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi I strongly suggest do not do any thing keep the same address

otherwise there are chances of delaying your application...

ENGLISHFORCITIZENSHIP

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Hi guys,

I am going to stay few months in a different province after applying. So I thought to forward my mail to the address where I am visiting. Would that be ok? I plan to come back to my home province for test and oath.

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017
Thanks very much, :), for example if I decide to go with the option of mail forwarding and ask Canada mail to forward my mail would CIC allow mail forwarding ? I know for sure that mails from CRA cannot be forwarded( according to Canada post lady) , would CIC allow its mail tobe forwarded by the Canada post ? thanks again :)
Sometimes, government like CIC doesn't use Canada post for mailing, they have their own team to deliver important mail in Canada. That I was been told before 8 years back by an advisor who was X CIC. I don't know what's the current situation now. So don't depend on mail forwarding, and it might Canada post fail to forward some mails.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Canada Post forwarding can take awhile, you might be back from your trip before you get any mail. Its probably not worth it.

Beauty-bricks

Oct 19, 2018
Hi everyone I do have a question to ask, I lived in Quebec for 1yr and I applied for my PR card there but I recently moved to Ontario 3months ago when I moved I changed my address online but I didn’t know it wasn’t updated until today when I receive an email from CIC to go for my medical I found out it still my old address,Now am confused because after the medical means I should be going to sign soonest for the card to be mailed, Now my question is Should I call to update my address or mailing address after the medical but I don’t know if that will slow down the process but I already did mail forwarding but I don’t know if CIC allows that??

Beauty-bricks

Oct 19, 2018
Should I call to update my mailing address or rely on the mail forwarding??Am so confused because changing address might slow down the process