+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Canadian Embassy do Background Check?(i.e marriage,DUI,etc)

M

mikeymyke

Yes they do, they can even go so far as to pay house visit if they suspect fraud. I've read on Canlii.org cases where CIC agents visit the house and found out the applicant was still living with her ex, not living at the supposed address, etc

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Obronibini said:
Cic seem to have lots of ways to really find out things lol . I didn't know they had capacity to dig that deep
It is part of the reason why processing times are so long for certain regions. They do their own background checks in addition to the police certificates that you have to submit on your own. The countries where there is a lot of info sharing (like the USA), the checks are pretty quick (plus they tend to give less scrutiny for people from visa-exempt countries like the US). For countries where there are not a lot of info sharing or it is difficult to request information from them or record keeping infrastructure is bad, it takes a long time. Also they will want more information from countries where there are a high instances of fraud which just increases the time even more.

Arianajas

May 17, 2014
Thanks a lot for your answer, so we cannot apply as a couple or it is still possible? What is the requirement to prove that he is my commom law partner?and we we're both married in muslim tradition with legal papers...sorry im just confused on what's the best thing to do and i want to tell everything so we will not have a problem in the future.
Thanks again for your time...

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Arianajas said:
Thanks a lot for your answer, so we cannot apply as a couple or it is still possible? What is the requirement to prove that he is my commom law partner?and we we're both married in muslim tradition with legal papers...sorry im just confused on what's the best thing to do and i want to tell everything so we will not have a problem in the future.
Thanks again for your time...

If you are married by custom then you would not be common law. Common law is simply a couple that live together and share a relationship as if they were married.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Arianajas said:
Hello everyone, i hope someone can help me with my current issue. I just started applying as a skilled worker in canada, my worry is that my husband was separated to his first wife more than 10 years ago but was not able to annul the marriage. Will this affect our application as a family even if im the principal applicant?
Thanks in advance.
The problem is that if he is still married to a previous wife, CIC will not accept a second wife, under any tradition.

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
keesio said:
It is part of the reason why processing times are so long for certain regions. They do their own background checks in addition to the police certificates that you have to submit on your own. The countries where there is a lot of info sharing (like the USA), the checks are pretty quick (plus they tend to give less scrutiny for people from visa-exempt countries like the US). For countries where there are not a lot of info sharing or it is difficult to request information from them or record keeping infrastructure is bad, it takes a long time. Also they will want more information from countries where there are a high instances of fraud which just increases the time even more.
ok so if you haven't travel outside your country do they still go around international world or organizations doing background checks ?

Arianajas

May 17, 2014
CanadianJeepGuy said:
If you are married by custom then you would not be common law. Common law is simply a couple that live together and share a relationship as if they were married.
Thanks a lot for your answer and help...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Arianajas said:
Thanks a lot for your answer and help...
Are you saying that you are married to someone else and that your current 'husband' is also married to someone else? Are you saying that you both partook in another marriage that would make you the 2nd spouses of one another or are you saying that you both are married to someone else, but are living together in a conjugal relationship for a year or more?

If you are living with this man, in a conjugal relationship for a year or more, than you are in fact common law spouses whether he was able to annul his first marriage or not, HOWEVER if you took steps to actually marry this man, than your marriage is false as far as CIC is concerned and he is not considered your husband.

I don't know if you understood all that from the previous posts here or not, so thought I would throw my 2 cents in to try to clear it up for you.

Good luck

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I got the impression that this aspect of the responses was deliberately ignored by the OP.

I personally believe that her "husband" has attempted to have two wives at the same time, and that CIC will have big problems with this.

Given the thread that this was posted under, I think that what the OP was really asking is, will they get away with it, or will CIC find out...

I think it's safe to say that CIC will find out, and then the whole "misrepresentation" issue begins...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Obronibini said:
ok so if you haven't travel outside your country do they still go around international world or organizations doing background checks ?
They will only check countries that you have lived for 6 months or more.

Arianajas

May 17, 2014
Alurra71 said:
Are you saying that you are married to someone else and that your current 'husband' is also married to someone else? Are you saying that you both partook in another marriage that would make you the 2nd spouses of one another or are you saying that you both are married to someone else, but are living together in a conjugal relationship for a year or more?

If you are living with this man, in a conjugal relationship for a year or more, than you are in fact common law spouses whether he was able to annul his first marriage or not, HOWEVER if you took steps to actually marry this man, than your marriage is false as far as CIC is concerned and he is not considered your husband.

I don't know if you understood all that from the previous posts here or not, so thought I would throw my 2 cents in to try to clear it up for you.

Good luck

Hello, thanks for your time...So this is the history, my husband was married before in christian and got kids with his first wife. He converted in muslim more than 20 years ago so when i met him 8 years ago(im single and without kids) he was already separated with his first wife due to incompatibility but not annuled. After 3 years we got married in kuslim tradition and i converted before we got married. So until now we are married in muslim customs and still happy being together with our baby.
When i apply as a principal immigrant to canada this is the time im having worries though i opened it up to our agent so he knows from the start.. As ive read here in the forums the govt of canada doesnt recognize two marriages thus my marriage seems to be void and not valid. Now i dont know what im going to put in my status, cause if i will put married it will also appear that my husband is married twice cause is first marriage was not annuled and if i put single it will also appear that we were married and if i will also put commom law partner in the investigation our marriage contract will also appear though it is void... I dont want to hide these facts cause i dont want to have a problem in the future and of course i want to migrate hopefully in canada for my baby's future.
Thanks again for taking time to read my concerns...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Arianajas said:
Hello, thanks for your time...So this is the history, my husband was married before in christian and got kids with his first wife. He converted in muslim more than 20 years ago so when i met him 8 years ago(im single and without kids) he was already separated with his first wife due to incompatibility but not annuled. After 3 years we got married in kuslim tradition and i converted before we got married. So until now we are married in muslim customs and still happy being together with our baby.
When i apply as a principal immigrant to canada this is the time im having worries though i opened it up to our agent so he knows from the start.. As ive read here in the forums the govt of canada doesnt recognize two marriages thus my marriage seems to be void and not valid. Now i dont know what im going to put in my status, cause if i will put married it will also appear that my husband is married twice cause is first marriage was not annuled and if i put single it will also appear that we were married and if i will also put commom law partner in the investigation our marriage contract will also appear though it is void... I dont want to hide these facts cause i dont want to have a problem in the future and of course i want to migrate hopefully in canada for my baby's future.
Thanks again for taking time to read my concerns...
Yeah, you are in a bit of a tight spot. Perhaps, and I don't know if this will work or not because I don't know that much about this kind of a situation, there is a way for you to file as common law, because if you have in fact lived together for a year or more, you are common law for CIC's purposes', but you will NEVER be married as far as CIC is concerned because your spouse is still married to his first wife. Maybe you could file as common law and also give them a secondary declaration with a well thought out, written explanation that in your home countries customs you are legally married, but you do understand these customs are not followed, nor are they acceptable in Canadian society, but you would like to include both him and your child in your application for immigration. I would make sure they have a well developed timeline for how this all came to be and that it is not something that happened in the last 6 months or something so they don't view it as a convenience issue.

As I said, I'm not sure if that will help you or not, but it certainly can not hurt. If you don't disclose him or the child then it will cause you more harm than good later on down the road.

Best of luck to you.

Arianajas

May 17, 2014
Alurra71 said:
Yeah, you are in a bit of a tight spot. Perhaps, and I don't know if this will work or not because I don't know that much about this kind of a situation, there is a way for you to file as common law, because if you have in fact lived together for a year or more, you are common law for CIC's purposes', but you will NEVER be married as far as CIC is concerned because your spouse is still married to his first wife. Maybe you could file as common law and also give them a secondary declaration with a well thought out, written explanation that in your home countries customs you are legally married, but you do understand these customs are not followed, nor are they acceptable in Canadian society, but you would like to include both him and your child in your application for immigration. I would make sure they have a well developed timeline for how this all came to be and that it is not something that happened in the last 6 months or something so they don't view it as a convenience issue.

As I said, I'm not sure if that will help you or not, but it certainly can not hurt. If you don't disclose him or the child then it will cause you more harm than good later on down the road.

Best of luck to you.
Hi Alurra71 thanks a lot for the hope you gave me i will do what you've suggested....thanks again!

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
keesio said:
They will only check countries that you have lived for 6 months or more.
thanks for always coming to my aid lol.