+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Canada Share Naturalization Information with Country of Origin?

axolotl

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Let's say I am from a country which does not allow dual citizenship. Becoming a Canadian citizen means, at least theoretically, that I will automatically lose my current citizenship.

My question is, how can my country of origin know it? Does Canada share such information with one's country of origin?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Let's say I am from a country which does not allow dual citizenship. Becoming a Canadian citizen means, at least theoretically, that I will automatically lose my current citizenship.

My question is, how can my country of origin know it? Does Canada share such information with one's country of origin?
Depends on how your country deals with it, like if you want to apply for a new passport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renunciation_of_citizenship

For example:
Germany actively investigates whether its citizens living abroad have naturalized there when they apply for a passport; for instance in Canada, German passport applicants have to submit a search of citizenship record.
Doesn't seem likely that Canada automatically shares the information, but the other country could request this knowing that you've resided in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/search-records.html

axolotl

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Thank you very much!

I'll be a bit more concrete. The country which I am talking about is The Netherlands.

Can I assume that I will be safe if I always go back to the Netherlands to renew my passport there?

Doesn't seem likely that Canada automatically shares the information, but the other country could request this knowing that you've resided in Canada.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Thank you very much!

I'll be a bit more concrete. The country which I am talking about is The Netherlands.

Can I assume that I will be safe if I always go back to the Netherlands to renew my passport there?
If your country doesn’t allow dual citizenship then I wouldn’t take such chances. Need just one officer to find out and it is a crime and you could face fines

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you very much!

https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/living-working/passport-and-identity-card/dual-nationality

Not sure if any of those exceptions apply to you.

Your country’s website also encourages applying for a new Dutch passport before acquiring a new citizenship to keep it.

Reactions: lifein360

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I know, right. Seems pretty risky to try to defy an entire country’s law.
I am fortunate that my country of origin allows dual citizenship, but I can imagine how difficult it is to give up your country of origin's citizenship for some people, as you no longer have the option to return to your country as many and as long as you want to visit your parents and siblings ... etc without conditions or limitations, and who knows things may not work out in Canada in the long-term as you have wished, and then you are stuck.

axolotl

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/living-working/passport-and-identity-card/dual-nationality

Not sure if any of those exceptions apply to you.

Your country’s website also encourages applying for a new Dutch passport before acquiring a new citizenship to keep it.
Technically, I could simply apply to become a Dutch citizen again. Since my spouse is a Dutch citizen, I won't have to give up my Canadian citizenship.

It will however require me to live in the Netherlands physically for a year before I can apply. (For better or for worse, there are special and accelerated procedures for ex-citizens to regain the Dutch citizenship.)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Technically, I could simply reapply to become a Dutch citizen again. Since my spouse is a Dutch citizen, I won't have to give up my Canadian citizenship.

It will however require me to physically live in the Netherlands for a year before I can reapply.
Yeah, so while Canada doesn’t transmit citizenship info, it’s the other countries that do have safeguards (like the one year residence you mentioned) when they restrict or discourage dual citizenship. It does sound like you qualify to keep both nationalities under certain conditions since your spouse is a Dutch citizen.

https://www.government.nl/binaries/government/documents/forms/2017/06/16/factsheet-could-i-lose-my-dutch-nationality-automatically-and-how-can-i-avoid-this/Loss+of+Dutch+nationality+automatically+-+Adults+-+2021feb+DEF.pdf

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I am fortunate that my country of origin allows dual citizenship, but I can imagine how difficult it is to give up your country of origin's citizenship for some people, as you no longer have the option to return to your country as many and as long as you want to visit your parents and siblings ... etc without conditions or limitations, and who knows things may not work out in Canada in the long-term as you have wished, and then you are stuck.
My country of origin allows dual citizenship as well, but…nah. No thank you lol.

AFAIK in a lot of cases if citizenship is lost through naturalization (like to Canada) and one wants to reacquire the citizenship they had at birth, it’s possible. (I’m painting with broad strokes here.)

Reactions: CaBeaver

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
I think the answer to anyone having such doubts then is to stay as a PR in Canada. There is really nothing major you're missing out being a PR (you have all the key benefits) plus you can retain your birth country's citizenship as well.

I am not seeing your argument to be honest. Of course you have an option to return to your country if it doesn't allow dual citizenship (visas, life long visas, permanent residencies).

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
My country of origin allows dual citizenship as well, but…nah. No thank you lol.

AFAIK in a lot of cases if citizenship is lost through naturalization (like to Canada) and one wants to reacquire the citizenship they had at birth, it’s possible. (I’m painting with broad strokes here.)
Yep - you can always reapply and go through the process again. But if anyone has a ton of doubts about giving up their birth country's citizenship, then continue staying as PR. I know people who've stayed on as PR for 30 years in Canada.