+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anyone know when BGC start?

Assaf97

Star Member
Apr 19, 2018
I have heard several answers to when background checks are started, some say when the application is first received while others say it starts when pre arrival letters are sent. Does anyone have a definite answer?

There is a 6 month difference between when our application was received and when we were sent pre arrival letters so I would like to know when the BGC started since most people from my country are receiving PPR after sending in their application but the majority of them are spousal while we are PGP (does it make any difference?)

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
I have heard several answers to when background checks are started, some say when the application is first received while others say it starts when pre arrival letters are sent. Does anyone have a definite answer?

There is a 6 month difference between when our application was received and when we were sent pre arrival letters so I would like to know when the BGC started since most people from my country are receiving PPR after sending in their application but the majority of them are spousal while we are PGP (does it make any difference?)
Background checks start after the medical exams lol. Totally different from everything you listed but for spouse sponsorship to the best of everyone s knowledge it's after the medical is passed. The reason for this, is because they don't want to bother going through the most important stage(background if your not going to get through and pass everything else. For this reason, the bgc is the last and usually longest stage of the application process. Some applicants are also sent for ss (security screening in addition to the regular bgc. So this can cause delays. I suggest linking your application online to a gckey account this way you can view your current status and receive email notifications when any changes are made.. Good luck

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Check your application "Status" through your online account linked to your application........when the message for Background Check is (2)....below.....background check has started or completed.

1.) Background Check: “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.”.
2.) Background Check: “We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information.“

BOSOXNATION

Nov 14, 2019
Check your application "Status" through your online account linked to your application........when the message for Background Check is (2)....below.....background check has started or completed.

1.) Background Check: “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.”.
2.) Background Check: “We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information.“
My wife and sons one year was nov 15/19 and on our online portal is says we will send you a letter once we start background check . That is the only thing I see . What’s this mean ? The medical was passed on August 28/2019

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Background check
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
all have same in gckey? what is it? in tracker i see BGC?! so has it already begun turns out :D LOL? but they wrote above that he was only after medicine

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I had this in same order as you, bgc notification before medical completed. I think it's possible they changed procedures to make it less sequential, but it may also be that files are sometimes handled differently, or just something as simple as notifications getting updated and appearing in the system with different delays. No need to worry at any rate.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also note, it is clear that ecas and gcms sometimes show different information. If you were looking at ecas and only later got into gcms, that could explain.

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Also note, it is clear that ecas and gcms sometimes show different information. If you were looking at ecas and only later got into gcms, that could explain.
I just don’t understand what date to put in the tracker in BGC? yesterday?
I do not remember this text was all time or changed yesterday:confused: