+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anyone know if their DLI will be on the list?

GabrielW

Aug 24, 2020
Anyone with a valid study permit who can prove their presence is "essential" can already travel. We do not yet have the finer details of any change in rules such as dropping of the 18th March rule.
go read on the ircc website
"This change to travel restrictions affects all international students, regardless of where they are travelling from or when their study permit was approved."

"The travel of asymptomatic international students who have the appropriate documents to enter Canada and whose DLI is on the list of institutions with approved COVID-19 readiness plans in place will be considered to be non-discretionary and non-optional, unless there is evidence that they are clearly coming to Canada for a discretionary or optional purpose, such as tourism."

Reactions: Ninakzmi

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
go read on the ircc website
"This change to travel restrictions affects all international students, regardless of where they are travelling from or when their study permit was approved."

"The travel of asymptomatic international students who have the appropriate documents to enter Canada and whose DLI is on the list of institutions with approved COVID-19 readiness plans in place will be considered to be non-discretionary and non-optional, unless there is evidence that they are clearly coming to Canada for a discretionary or optional purpose, such as tourism."
yes but there are over 65000 on IRCC's admission they have admitted have not approved but could do so they still have not told those in that position what they will do. No point in having a rule for having a study permit approved if they don't approve any new ones. So currently those who were caught by the 18th March rule still don't know what will happen.

Literarymathy

Star Member
Feb 8, 2020
McGill is working on its COVID-19 readiness plan and anticipates being on the list of designated learning institutions when that is announced later this month. Please keep an eye on the ISS website for details.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
I've just had a talk with my daughter about the possibility of travelling by end October or November or January if her permit is officially approved by end of October. I'd be very surprised if her university does not make this DLI covid ready list. I would guess that this announcement is deliberately timed in that very few international students are going to travel mid semester now, as they'd not be out of quarantine until around 10th November earliest, leaving 3 or 4 weeks maximum of physical classes left for those universities with physical classes and with the possibility of Christmas staying where??? if you have reserved a dorm room. I think most who get their study permits approved will not want to travel until January 2021 now or end December.

I think what you international students want is CERTAINTY even if it means a longer wait.

Last edited:

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Does anyone know if Mohawk College is on the list?
Tried to reach out to them, couldn't contact..
No one knows. The list is not out, you need to ask the college and since you have tried, then it's going to be difficult. How about seeing if there is a facebook group of students on campus who could ask on your behalf?

mp3004

Jul 20, 2020
My DLI informed me that they have submitted their plan and the government is revewing one by one . they will let me know once it is approved

Reactions: proceso

Zr1911

Aug 16, 2020
My DLI informed me that they have submitted their plan and the government is revewing one by one . they will let me know once it is approved
Our university COVID-19 readiness plan has been approved by the provincial government and we received this e-mail yesterday.

Update for international students currently outside Canada:

The Government of Canada recently announced an update to travel restriction exemptions. This change, which is scheduled to take effect Oct. 20, 2020, will allow UCalgary international students with a valid study permit or a study permit approval to enter Canada. UCalgary's COVID-19 readiness plan has been approved by the provincial government.

This update applies to all international students, regardless of where they are travelling from or when their study permit was approved.

Students should not make any travel plans until they have met all requirements and received all necessary authorizations. Details about what is required will be updated on the Government of Canada travel exemptions website on or before Oct. 20, 2020.

The Government of Canada requires all students, and any family members accompanying them, arriving from an international location to quarantine for 14 days and monitor themselves for symptoms. Students must confirm their arrival with the university and follow UCalgary’s quarantine process for students.

If you have questions, you can contact UCalgary’s International Student Services team at issimmigration@ucalgary.ca.

Office of the Vice-Provost (Student Experience)
Student and Enrolment Services