+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anybody have experience in moving from BC to Quebec as a permanent resident

ViaBlue

Aug 20, 2013
Hi everybody,
I at the moment live in Vancouver, BC with my husband who is a permanent resident for a 5 years now who did not spent to much time here so basically he didnt benefit of any support from any immigration program and now it to late for him to get any help and I, well I am here with him almost two years now waiting for my pr card witch I am gonna get soon (hopefully :) )
Anyway I was year ago in Quebec visiting his sister and I simply fall in love in town, people, culture.. Maybe it is a part of that I had a great host but Montreal basically felt as home after two weeks and Vancouver, well not yet...
We were considering moving over there but we dont speak french and there are no program for learning french for immigrants in BC. I guess It will be really hard to find job without it so I am wondering does anybody knows can we benefit from Quebec immigration programs (like getting french lessons and help with finding job over there), me as a fresh pr and my husband who has pr for 5 years in Canada but never lived in Quebec.. How much paperwork is there anyway? PLEASE ADVICE ME....Thank you guys!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since both you and your husband are permanent residents, you can move to Quebec right away. What paperwork do you mean?

ViaBlue

Aug 20, 2013
:D I dont know, is there any?! Like driver license, pr cards, and does it make difference where you apply from for citizenship cause soon he is gonna be eligible to apply for that too...? But mostly I am interested in would he be eligible to get help from government of Quebec for french lessons and finding work. Ill probably be...

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
ViaBlue said:
:D I dont know, is there any?! Like driver license, pr cards, and does it make difference where you apply from for citizenship cause soon he is gonna be eligible to apply for that too...? But mostly I am interested in would he be eligible to get help from government of Quebec for french lessons and finding work. Ill probably be...
You won't need to do any paperwork to move to Quebec.

However, if you want immigrant support programs like free French classes, employment programs, etc., you need a CSQ. So you'd need to change your sponsorship application to a Quebec one. It's probably possible to do this if the two of you move to Quebec before your COPR is issued. You'd need to notify CIC and ask to convert your application to a Quebec one. He'd have to sign a new undertaking, and it might add a month or two to your processing.

However, he won't be eligible for any immigrant programs in Quebec, unfortunately.

If you intend to go to university, getting a CSQ will give you in-province tuition ($2,200 a year instead of $6,200) and access to Quebec's generous financial aid for students. My understanding is that this will also be the case if you move to Quebec within three months of the date you become a permanent resident. This will apply to both of you, since if one of you is a Quebec resident for tuition purposes, so is the other.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why do you need assistance from the government in order to learn French? You have French TV channels and you have internet and there is a lot of free material on the internet, youtube etc. You just need to take the time to do it. You should also be learning it now to prepare for your move so you'll have better job opportunities. And why do you need government assistance to find work? You look at ads, you apply. It's really simple.

The unemployment rate is 9.5% in Montreal, see http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/lmi/publications/bulletins/qc/aug2013.shtml and probably higher among people who can't speak French. Therefore, it might be a good idea to start looking for jobs online before you move. Maybe his sister can help you find jobs through networking.

As for the paperwork, there isn't really that much. Your PR card stays the same and your SIN stays the same. You would need to inform BC health that you are moving and you would register for Quebec health when you arrive. BC health will cover you during the 3 month waiting period you have in Quebec. Your BC drivers license can be exchanged for a Quebec drivers license without a problem.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
I've edited what I wrote above because I made a mistake.

I believe it is true that for some purposes a CSQ is necessary or desirable. What I said above about Quebec in-province tuition and student aid is accurate.

However, for eligibility for free French classes, possibly including financial assistance, the requirement is to live in Quebec and begin the courses within five years of the date you became a permanent resident, anywhere in the country, or five years after Stage 1 approval on an inland application.

The same rules apply for Emploi-Québec's PRIIME program for assisting immigrants in finding a job. Except that in that case, you're eligible for life if you belong to a visible minority, and for only five years if you don't. The government pays 50% of your salary for the first 30 weeks after you're hired by an employer. It needs to be your first job here in your field.

ViaBlue

Aug 20, 2013
O thank you Frege, I was sure there are stuff that I need to know...What is CSQ? Is that like SIN here? It says on website:
Applying for a Certificate de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate) is the first step to take towards obtaining permanent resident status in Québec.
But if I have pr in BC for longer then 3 months and move in Quebec I dont have right for CSQ?
I am hoping to study when I get there and organize our life over there as much as we can for the start

ViaBlue

Aug 20, 2013
Last thing that I received from immigration office is that they done my paperwork and checked everything needed and they sent my paperwork to office in Vancouver so I should be called in any week for interview.. When is the moment to say to them that I want to go Quebec, is it to late? Also I don t think we would be able to move there till next summer because of money we need to safe so now I am scared Ill lost right for CSQ.?! :eek:

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
ViaBlue said:
O thank you Frege, I was sure there are stuff that I need to know...What is CSQ? Is that like SIN here? It says on website:
Applying for a Certificate de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate) is the first step to take towards obtaining permanent resident status in Québec.
But if I have pr in BC for longer then 3 months and move in Quebec I dont have right for CSQ?
I am hoping to study when I get there and organize our life over there as much as we can for the start
A CSQ is a Quebec selection certificate. If you finalize the application in BC then you will never get a CSQ - you can only get one by immigrating to Quebec. That's why you'd have to move to Quebec before getting PR. Obviously, it would delay your application.

If you get PR in BC, there's nothing stopping you from moving to Quebec, except that in some specific situations (education is the main one I know about) it would take time for you to be considered a Quebec resident.

The thing about moving to Quebec within three months of getting PR is only important if you want to study in Quebec. Otherwise you'll become a Quebec resident for in-province tuition and student aid after you or your husband has lived here for a year without studying full-time.

Student aid is really high in Quebec. If your income is low enough you can get $15,000 in a year ($5,000 in loans and $10,000 in bursaries). If you want to study immediately, this is one reason you might want to move before having lived in BC for three months.

However, before you do anything based on this information, you should find out whether you would be eligible for grants from Canada and/or BC if you were studying in Quebec but didn't qualify as a Quebec resident. I have no idea how these things work outside Quebec, but my impression is that the level of aid is lower and more of it is made up of loans. You can look at this site to see:

https://studentaidbc.ca/

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
ViaBlue said:
Last thing that I received from immigration office is that they done my paperwork and checked everything needed and they sent my paperwork to office in Vancouver so I should be called in any week for interview.. When is the moment to say to them that I want to go Quebec, is it to late? Also I don t think we would be able to move there till next summer because of money we need to safe so now I am scared Ill lost right for CSQ.?! :eek:
If you have an in-Canada application, you need to be living in Quebec when you get PR in order to get a CSQ. After that you can never get a CSQ, unless you give up your permanent residence and apply again. (This would be a bad idea.)

If you only move next summer, it looks like you will still be eligible for free French classes and other integration measures - in this case you're eligible for five years after becoming a PR.

However, for education, you'll have to live in Quebec for an entire year before you can get the same benefits as a Quebec resident. So if you will be living in Quebec for 12 months before going to school, this is not too important. But if you want to study right away after moving there, the only way to avoid this is to get a CSQ or to move to Quebec within three months of becoming a PR.

(In theory, a CSQ is slightly better because it makes you a lifetime resident of Quebec, whereas the twelve-month rule is temporary - you can lose Quebec residence by moving away and coming back. However, in your situation, this is not a very important difference.)

Source: http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=3&file=/C_29/C29R1_A.HTM

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Hello there,

This topic was exactly what I was looking for. Ok here is my story, I landed to Vancouver in 2010 january after that I moved to Montreal 2013 December after 2,5 years.I took 2 level French course with my permanent residency. I am planning to go university here and I am going to finish my 1st year at Quebec.

As I understood, I am not eligible to get Quebec Selection certificate after to be permanent residence in other province more than 3 months. But I can still have the benefits,quebec education prices.I need to stay at Quebec at least one year. Am I correct?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Silver77 said:
Hello there,

This topic was exactly what I was looking for. Ok here is my story, I landed to Vancouver in 2010 january after that I moved to Montreal 2013 December after 2,5 years.I took 2 level French course with my permanent residency. I am planning to go university here and I am going to finish my 1st year at Quebec.

As I understood, I am not eligible to get Quebec Selection certificate after to be permanent residence in other province more than 3 months. But I can still have the benefits,quebec education prices.I need to stay at Quebec at least one year. Am I correct?
Could you clarify your timeline?

What I understand is that you became a permanent resident in January 2010. You moved to Montreal in December 2012 and took free French courses, which you were eligible for because you had become a permanent resident less than five years before. Now you are approaching one year in Quebec and would like to get Quebec tuition.

Is this correct?

You cannot obtain a CSQ, because this can only be done before you become a permanent resident.

For Quebec tuition, I will assume you don't have a parent or spouse who could qualify as a Quebec resident. In this case you need to reside in Quebec for twelve consecutive months without pursuing full-time studies. I believe French courses paid for by MICC wouldn't count as full-time studies, but you'll need to check this.

See this form for the evidence you'd need.

http://www.etudes.umontreal.ca/etudes/rq-att-res-an_E07.pdf

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Thank you freege for the explanation. This Quebec tuition confuse me anyway.I already applied for quebec Selection certificate but denied.

I would clarify my timeline.

Jan 2010 landed Immigrant Vancouver
Dec 2012 Moved to Montreal
Jan -July 2013 Attend MICC free full time french courses.
Jan 2014 -Start University ( assume)

I don't have suppose at Quebec and filling my first year at Dec 2013.I think MICC course are non credit so it shouldn't count as academic studies.

This form is proofing your one year Quebec residency?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Silver77 said:
Thank you freege for the explanation. This Quebec tuition confuse me anyway.I already applied for quebec Selection certificate but denied.

I would clarify my timeline.

Jan 2010 landed Immigrant Vancouver
Dec 2012 Moved to Montreal
Jan -July 2013 Attend MICC free full time french courses.
Jan 2014 -Start University ( assume)

I don't have suppose at Quebec and filling my first year at Dec 2013.I think MICC course are non credit so it shouldn't count as academic studies.

This form is proofing your one year Quebec residency?
This form is probably the one that you'll be filling out and submitting to your university. I agree that the MICC French classes probably won't count. However, you should check this with the university you'll be applying to.

The 12-month period has to finish before the beginning of the term, which I think means the first day of classes.

In your original letter of registration at RAMQ, does it give a reference date? In the letter, it's when they say your waiting period began. This would probably be the date you're considered to have moved to Quebec if you use the health care card as proof of residence. It's usually not the same as the date your coverage started. Again, you should check this with the university you plan to apply to.

Alternatively, do you have a lease in Quebec? You could use the date the lease began. In this case, you'd also have to submit utility bills.

If you go to the document I linked to above, the rule is to submit document 18, and either 4 or both 6 and 8.

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
I will contact with the university and ask all those questions. I have a lease starting from Jan 2013 so this semester is just on the limit.

I am also curios if I am eligible for Quebec student loans? Is it the same that I have to live there 12 months before applying to loans?