+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents for Citizenship Application

jt80

Sep 11, 2022
Good Day,

Hope someone can provide clarity on this. With regards to submitting proof of ID for the Canadian Citizenship application is it fine the ID was issued less than 3 months from the time of submitting the application? Did anyone perhaps use an ID issued less than 3 months?

Reason I ask is that I came across this old post mentioning that if the ID is less than 3 months, it could result in an RQ (Residence Questionnaire), which could further delay the application. From the post "C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application".

Just want to make sure this is not one of the requirements since it's an outdated post and rules have have changed since then.

Thank You

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Good Day,

Hope someone can provide clarity on this. With regards to submitting proof of ID for the Canadian Citizenship application is it fine the ID was issued less than 3 months from the time of submitting the application? Did anyone perhaps use an ID issued less than 3 months?

Reason I ask is that I came across this old post mentioning that if the ID is less than 3 months, it could result in an RQ (Residence Questionnaire), which could further delay the application. From the post "C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application".

Just want to make sure this is not one of the requirements since it's an outdated post and rules have have changed since then.

Thank You
Using a new id seems to be just fine these days. Obviously getting an id only a few days before the submission date might arouse a little bit of suspicion to anyone. But if it's like a month old or over it should be fine, imo.

The use of RQ has diminshed a lot in general compared to those times probably because they've started recording all entries and exits and they're relying more on CBSA records.

Just going by probabilities, if you don't have a lot of travel history or you got your id because of a recent move (which will be shown in the address histroy) then I don't think you have much to worry about at all.

If you're still too worried and have some time in your hands, you might consider adding copies CBSA Travel History and US travel histroy (if applicable) as well as provincial health records and upload/submit as additional documents along with your application. CBSA records should take about 30 days, US is instant, provincial health records for Ontario takes about 15-30 days (not sure about other provinces) - all of these can be done online. Just remember, all this is out of an abundance of caution, you're totally fine without these.

jt80

Sep 11, 2022
Using a new id seems to be just fine these days. Obviously getting an id only a few days before the submission date might arouse a little bit of suspicion to anyone. But if it's like a month old or over it should be fine, imo.

The use of RQ has diminshed a lot in general compared to those times probably because they've started recording all entries and exits and they're relying more on CBSA records.

Just going by probabilities, if you don't have a lot of travel history or you got your id because of a recent move (which will be shown in the address histroy) then I don't think you have much to worry about at all.

If you're still too worried and have some time in your hands, you might consider adding copies CBSA Travel History and US travel histroy (if applicable) as well as provincial health records and upload/submit as additional documents along with your application. CBSA records should take about 30 days, US is instant, provincial health records for Ontario takes about 15-30 days (not sure about other provinces) - all of these can be done online. Just remember, all this is out of an abundance of caution, you're totally fine without these.
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually have more than the required 1095 days in Canada, so travel history shouldn't be an issue. The only reason why I plan on using a recent ID is because my wife's maiden surname was changed on her passport when she renewed it last year and only realized that we also needed to change her surname on a Canadian ID since her surname legally changed in a foreign country after obtaining PR.

Hoping that the ID is fine to use since we only received it last week.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually have more than the required 1095 days in Canada, so travel history shouldn't be an issue. The only reason why I plan on using a recent ID is because my wife's maiden surname was changed on her passport when she renewed it last year and only realized that we also needed to change her surname on a Canadian ID since her surname legally changed in a foreign country after obtaining PR.

Hoping that the ID is fine to use since we only received it last week.
In that case, you could just include a note saying your wife got a name change because of the marriage and you're including the recently obtained id to have a consistent name in all official documents. You probably don't need to include any of the other stuff like the health records or travel history because it's a straightforward reason.

The processing officer is trying to construct a life story out of all the text boxes in the application, as an applicant you're just trying to make it easier by answering any questions proactively so your application doesn't end up in cold storage, that's all. It's just a probability game.

jt80

Sep 11, 2022
In that case, you could just include a note saying your wife got a name change because of the marriage and you're including the recently obtained id to have a consistent name in all official documents. You probably don't need to include any of the other stuff like the health records or travel history because it's a straightforward reason.

The processing officer is trying to construct a life story out of all the text boxes in the application, as an applicant you're just trying to make it easier by answering any questions proactively so your application doesn't end up in cold storage, that's all. It's just a probability game.
Perfect thanks, I'll include a letter mentioning her recent name change on her ID.

Regards

Reactions: iceman55