United Arab Emirates
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
Hi,

I am landing in a couple of months (a family of 4). I am in contact with a person who is willing to help in everything at initial steps (airport pickup, SIN registration, sim cards, bank account, etc) but I prefer not to rely on anyone. That person will probably charge for this (I haven't asked yet).

I am planning to land and go to a hotel for a week, while doing initial steps and looking for basement apartment.
My question is that after landing I will immediately need a sim card with data package so I can use Uber or search for government offices, markets, banks, apartments.

Can I buy a sim card after landing (and completing airport immigration related steps) but before any other procedure?

And related question: Do you think it is best idea to not rely on anyone? Can I manage all the initial steps without any external help?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can do all these things without help. Sure you would be charged an exorbitant fee by a company taking advantage of new Canadians or international students/workers. Canada's wireless industry is pretty annoying and you can't just buy a SIM card at the airport. You've got to sign up for a plan with a company. I would do some research online about the wireless choices in Canada.

baba147

Star Member
May 17, 2015
United Arab Emirates
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
Yes you can do all these things without help. Sure you would be charged an exorbitant fee by a company taking advantage of new Canadians or international students/workers. Canada's wireless industry is pretty annoying and you can't just buy a SIM card at the airport. You've got to sign up for a plan with a company. I would do some research online about the wireless choices in Canada.
By a plan do you mean I have to buy a phone as well? I already have a phone and just want to buy a sim (with some voice + data package) and use that sim with existing phone. Is that not possible?

Or by plan you mean postpaid?

Also there is something called "International Sim" (like WorldSim). These sims work in large number of countries (Canada included). I can order a sim now and take it with me and it will work in Canada. These sims are actually for people who travel a lot to different countries.

Is that a better option?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
By a plan do you mean I have to buy a phone as well? I already have a phone and just want to buy a sim (with some voice + data package) and use that sim with existing phone. Is that not possible?

Or by plan you mean postpaid?

Also there is something called "International Sim" (like WorldSim). These sims work in large number of countries (Canada included). I can order a sim now and take it with me and it will work in Canada. These sims are actually for people who travel a lot to different countries.

Is that a better option?
You can get a SIM without having to buy a new phone. It may not be a good choice, but it's possible. Both pre and post paid are available but post-paid will require a credit check etc. For that, a SIN might be helpful but not mandatory.

I'm not sure if you are going to be online immediately after your landing however. It depends on what is available at the airport that you are going to. Don't even "WorldSim" take time to activate?

baba147

Star Member
May 17, 2015
United Arab Emirates
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
Why is not a good choice?
You get more value for your money?
Or any other reason?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Why is not a good choice?
You get more value for your money?
Or any other reason?
Unless the phone you are bringing is equipped with Canadian frequency bands, you will lose out on connectivity and functionality.

vivsters

Nov 28, 2017
You can buy SIM from airport, dont worry about the phone... u can use your phone (unless it is super ancient).... Dont think u need a lot of documents for sim. I showed passport 7 COPR got the connection activated in 5 mins... $45 for unlimited calling and 4GB data ( good to start with).
Post paid, you can migrate to Rogers from CHatr, or any other servcie you take after a month or 2... I did after a month. They asked for Canadian credit card and one more document ( ur PR card or passport), again porting takes a few mins.

baba147

Star Member
May 17, 2015
United Arab Emirates
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
I am planning to go in Milton. Does Chatr have in-zone data coverage there?

From the map on their website, they only cover Milton partially (Talk, Text & Data Plans (in-zone)).

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Chatr uses Rogers network so you should be fine. Another prepaid provider you can consider is Public Mobile. You can buy the SIM at any Walmart or order online to have it delivered to your address in Ontario. Contact me by PM if you need to be referred (this would give you $10 bonus which basically covers for the cost of the SIM card)

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It is NOT mandatory to provide your SIN when applying for things like starting a cell phone account. Here is a link from the government when it is. Typically when opening a bank account where you be getting interest, RRSP accounts etc. It is not like in the United States where everyone wants your Social Security Number. Your SIN is the main number that connects you to the government to identify you for obtaining benefits , income tax purposes, or your employer. I never provide it

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Unlike in USA, few telecom providers in Canada do report to credit bureaus. So if you want to improve credit history then you might to provide SIN.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Unlike in USA, few telecom providers in Canada do report to credit bureaus. So if you want to improve credit history then you might to provide SIN.
This would not be applicable for pre-paid however. Rogers does for post paid contracts.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY