+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you currently hold authorization to work permanently in the country of application?

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
I am a former PGWP with an open work permit valid for another 16 months. Recently on a job application I came across a question - Do you currently hold authorization to work permanently in the country of application? In the course of applying for jobs over the last 6 months, I had not come across this question asking specifically for authorization to work permanently. For other job applications, the question that I was required to answer was - Are you legally permitted to work in Canada? I have 8.5 months of Canadian experience and with another 3.5 months of experience I will be eligible for PR under Canadian Experience Class.

I googled and found a recent legal precent which bars employers from rescinding job offers based on an employee's inability to work permanently in Canada. "Haseeb v Imperial Oil Limited, 2018 HRTO 957 (CanLII)". Ontario HRTO stated that it's against the Human Right Code to demand employees be permanently eligible to work in Canada.

Given this legal precedent, I wonder why this reputable Ontario employer is asking for permanent work authorization from applicants. Does anyone have any insights?