+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we get to pick which office our outland application is processed in??

thai/peg

Star Member
Sep 21, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada and Trang Thailand
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I am confused. I was under the impression that Thai nationals had to send there application to be dealt with in Singapore as the Candian embassy in Bangkok says they do not deal with immigration issues and that Singapore deals with that. So I sent our application to Singapore which has a pretty long waiting time on the CIC website and now I have heard that you can apply through Beijing which has a much shorter waiting period. Did I have the choice to do that?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
according to cic, this is the only embassy that deals with applications from your country:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/singapore.asp

so you chose right place for processing.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, you should have sent your entire application to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga. You do not mail your application directly to the visa office. Are you saying that you mailed your application to Singapore?? I thought I remember your previous post where you were worried about whether your application had or had not arrived at CPC Mississauga. So where exactly did you send it?

You are right that the visa office in Bangkok only deals with visitor visa, not immigration processing. That is done in Singapore. You would only be eligible to choose Beijing as your visa office if you are either a Chinese national OR you have been legally admitted to China for a period of at least one year.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
You did the right thing Thai/peg. In our case, my Thai National husband has a one year Resident Visa for Mongolia so he can choose Beijing as his processing office if I understand things correctly under Country Specific Instructions.
Don't worry.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, Beijing processes applicants from China, Korea and Mongolia. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/beijing.asp

Reactions: CDNsoldier

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
We have been in Mongolia about 2 months so that means he has 10 months left on his Mongolian resident visa. So he can put Beijing down as his choice Processing Office correct? But another thread says that CIC could still send it to Singapore?? So if an interview is requested, that would mean we have to travel to Singapore or Beijing? That's a big difference.....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When picking a visa office for processing, you can always pick the visa office in the country of the sponsored persons citizenship (or the visa office responsible for that country) or if the sponsored person is living somewhere else and has been admitted to that country with at least a one year visa, there is the option of picking that country as well. Be aware that if there is an interview, it will be at the visa office where you chose to process.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thaihubbie said:
We have been in Mongolia about 2 months so that means he has 10 months left on his Mongolian resident visa. So he can put Beijing down as his choice Processing Office correct? But another thread says that CIC could still send it to Singapore?? So if an interview is requested, that would mean we have to travel to Singapore or Beijing? That's a big difference.....
Yes, as I said you can choose Beijing since you have been admitted to Mongolia for one year and Beijing processes applicants from Mongolia. There is always the possibility that they could decide to send your application to Singapore -- for instance if they were exceptionally busy in Beijing, they may forward it on. Or I think if you had little time left on your visa they might also consider that. But since that's not the case for you I don't think there is a high chance of them forwarding on your application to Singapore.