+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do the paperwork myself or get the help of a solicitor?

Sumanik

Star Member
Feb 16, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in the UK since 2012. I would now like to move back to Canada with my common law partner, who is British, and our child who will have dual citizenship.

I am just unsure as to whether we should try to manage this process on our own or get the help of an immigration solicitor which definitely adds to the expense!

My Partner also has 3 children from a previous relationship who will need to do the medical even though, at this point, they won't be immigrating. However, I am wondering if this will make our application a little more complicated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in the UK since 2012. I would now like to move back to Canada with my common law partner, who is British, and our child who will have dual citizenship.

I am just unsure as to whether we should try to manage this process on our own or get the help of an immigration solicitor which definitely adds to the expense!

My Partner also has 3 children from a previous relationship who will need to do the medical even though, at this point, they won't be immigrating. However, I am wondering if this will make our application a little more complicated.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/statement-on-fraud-prevention-month.html)
Laywer is roulette!

hilkat

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
I used an immigration consultant and although I don't think she's done a bad job and hasn't hurt our application I also don't see any value that she added. I have to prompt for every little follow up, she is super vague when answering my questions and could have been more proactive making sure we have things in place. For example my partner's kids are also not accompanying but will need their medicals. Neither of them have active passports, which we confirmed in the application (which she filled out). But they are needed as proof of identify for the medical exams. She never once thought to tell us that part and I only discovered it recently when I had some spare time and was getting stressed about how long it took for us to get the request for the medical exams.

TLDR: if you pay attention to the details and follow the instructions you can do it all yourself and save the money. If you trust that the lawyer/consultant will give you all the information you need you may be disappointed.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When I looked at this, first I found it rather expensive. And then after a bit of research realised that I was still going to have to do quite a bit (digging up documents etc) and that the part I found frustrating - filling in the forms - wasn't that bad.

In short, if your case is pretty simple, likely not worth the money. And from your description does not sound complex.

Of course, if there's some complex legal question, then it can make sense. And if you simply don't have the time and just want to have someone else do it and you're convinced that they will actually do all the tedium for you (impression I got was that many still want you to do quite a bit of it).

Get organised, read carefully, ask questions (here for example) and it's manageable.

Sumanik

Star Member
Feb 16, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. Is the application clear about the types of documents I can submit with the application?

AUG19

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
DR
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
29-08-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Thanks for the feedback. Is the application clear about the types of documents I can submit with the application?
It is super clear, we didn't hire a representative but we read through everything carefully and made sure to include every bit of information they requested.

Reactions: Sumanik

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Everyone,

Have you already got a Certificate of Citizenship and Canadian passport for your child? If not, apply ASAP, as it can take awhile.

Skip the lawyer, waste of money.

The other children don't make the app complicated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I used an immigration consultant and although I don't think she's done a bad job and hasn't hurt our application I also don't see any value that she added. I have to prompt for every little follow up, she is super vague when answering my questions and could have been more proactive making sure we have things in place. For example my partner's kids are also not accompanying but will need their medicals. Neither of them have active passports, which we confirmed in the application (which she filled out). But they are needed as proof of identify for the medical exams. She never once thought to tell us that part and I only discovered it recently when I had some spare time and was getting stressed about how long it took for us to get the request for the medical exams.

TLDR: if you pay attention to the details and follow the instructions you can do it all yourself and save the money. If you trust that the lawyer/consultant will give you all the information you need you may be disappointed.
Passports aren't actually needed for minor children to do the medical.

Sumanik

Star Member
Feb 16, 2020
Have you already got a Certificate of Citizenship and Canadian passport for your child? If not, apply ASAP, as it can take awhile.

Skip the lawyer, waste of money.

The other children don't make the app complicated.
Hello, We haven't got her Canadian passport just yet but we will do it Asap.

Sumanik

Star Member
Feb 16, 2020
Does anyone know if it would be possible for my partner's children to join us if something happened to their mum or if they wanted to live with us?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Does anyone know if it would be possible for my partner's children to join us if something happened to their mum or if they wanted to live with us?
Yes, you can sponsor them later as long as declared as non accompanying. Subject to age and usual requirements of course.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes. Speaking personally it was a bit intimidating at first and the terminology can require some careful reading. But key I found was to work through the checklist. Again and again. Double check the checklist.And repeat and repeat and repeat.

Last edited:

hilkat

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
Passports aren't actually needed for minor children to do the medical.
Thank you - I called the specific doctors they'll be going to and confirmed the same (after my consultant told me they ARE required). But my partner's daughter turned 18 the same day we got the medical requests! So just back luck from a timing perspective on our part and if the consultant felt that they were required she had enough information to give us a heads up many months ago. Just goes to show that you need to do your own research.