+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do representatives “expire” overtime?

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Let’s say I hired a representative for an application in 2014. The application was never submitted, I left Canada and I haven’t heard from my representative. If I wanted to submit a family class sponsorship in 2020, do I have to cancel the rappresentative or it expires after a certain time?

I’m not sure wether I’m good to go or else.
I applied for a couple visitor extensions between 18 and 2019 and everything was either emailed to the email address listed on the application or on my cic account. Does this mean I don’t have an active authorized representative anymore?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Let’s say I hired a representative for an application in 2014. The application was never submitted, I left Canada and I haven’t heard from my representative. If I wanted to submit a family class sponsorship in 2020, do I have to cancel the rappresentative or it expires after a certain time?

I’m not sure wether I’m good to go or else.
I applied for a couple visitor extensions between 18 and 2019 and everything was either emailed to the email address listed on the application or on my cic account. Does this mean I don’t have an active authorized representative anymore?
You need to submit the form to revoke them as a representative. It doesn’t expire.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
You need to submit the form to revoke them as a representative. It doesn’t expire.
Can I still file an application by myself without the representative like I was able with visitor extensions without cancelling for the time being?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you never submitted the application on which you named a representative - which means that IRCC never received your nomination of representative form - then you have no representative.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
If you never submitted the application on which you named a representative - which means that IRCC never received your nomination of representative form - then you have no representative.
when I landed in 2018 at the airport I got a VR, after a couple hours I received an email from the representative with a copy of the VR attached. I haven’t received anything from the representative ever since. When I extended my VR I didn’t receive anything from them just from CIC only.
However in the application I didn’t check mark the representative option.

Is it safe to assume that I will have the option on my PR application to either use the representative or not, just like the visitor extensions, am I correct?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
when I landed in 2018 at the airport I got a VR, after a couple hours I received an email from the representative with a copy of the VR attached. I haven’t received anything from the representative ever since. When I extended my VR I didn’t receive anything from them just from CIC only.
However in the application I didn’t check mark the representative option.

Is it safe to assume that I will have the option on my PR application to either use the representative or not, just like the visitor extensions, am I correct?
So you did somehow submit the authorization of representative form somehow. Are you confident that the application in 2014 was never submitted?

You do not get an option to use or not use the representative. You do have to revoke their representation of you. They may not forward you things but they will have access to your file, you may not be able to link it to a GC Key account, and IRCC may contact them instead of you.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
So you did somehow submit the authorization of representative form somehow. Are you confident that the application in 2014 was never submitted?

You do not get an option to use or not use the representative. You do have to revoke their representation of you. They may not forward you things but they will have access to your file, you may not be able to link it to a GC Key account, and IRCC may contact them instead of you.
The only time now that I think about it was with a visitor expansion back in 2015, the representative did it for me. That’s about it.

however I don’t understand, I’ve had the option weather or not to use the representative while applying for a visitor extension in 2018. Did the remove this option?
Can I send the form to cancel representative along with my PR application if I have to?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The only time now that I think about it was with a visitor expansion back in 2015, the representative did it for me. That’s about it.

however I don’t understand, I’ve had the option weather or not to use the representative while applying for a visitor extension in 2018. Did the remove this option?
Can I send the form to cancel representative along with my PR application if I have to?
Considering how you got a copy of your visitor record in 2018 from your representative, did you opt into using them for that in 2018?

If your answer is "no" then you should be able to see that the representative still has access to your information.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just so your aware, your details here keep changing. I don't think you intend to do that, but this started with "I had a representative in 2014 for an application I never submitted" to "I used the representative in 2015 as well" to now "I used them for the visitor record in 2018 also" (maybe). Hard to give you any answer if you're not completely clear on the details up front.

As to your question - yes, you need to revoke your representative. You can do that by webform right now (I assume you know your UCI) by uploading the proper form.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Just so your aware, your details here keep changing. I don't think you intend to do that, but this started with "I had a representative in 2014 for an application I never submitted" to "I used the representative in 2015 as well" to now "I used them for the visitor record in 2018 also" (maybe). Hard to give you any answer if you're not completely clear on the details up front.

As to your question - yes, you need to revoke your representative. You can do that by webform right now (I assume you know your UCI) by uploading the proper form.
I hired a representative in 2014, I did submit the representative forms and I signed it. I was going to apply for PR but I ended up not applying at the time. I then applied for a visitor extension through my representative (2015).
I left Canada in 2017.

I came back to Canada in 2018, I received my VR from CBSA at the airport, 2 hours later I received an email from the representative with a copy of the same VR attached to it, I didn’t understand why.
Later in 2018 I applied for a visitor extension which I submitted myself and my representative didn’t send me anything.
In 2019 same thing, I applied for another extension and I didn’t hear from my representative.
On the extension forms there is an option to file using the representative and the option to file as the main applicant, which is the option chose in both the visitor extension application I submitted.
CIC emailed me and send an original copy of the new VR on the address I listed on the application.

Now, like you suggested I could simply cancel the representative, alternatively I could change it to my fiancé which will be sponsoring me (had to look it up).

I’m now visibly confused because, how could CIC forward my application to my representative if I opt to apply without using a representative? (just like I did with the last two visitor extensions I applied for in 2018 and 2019).

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your representative is your representative until it's cancelled. If your question is "why didn't my representative send me things after the other applications" then perhaps you should ask your representative.

You need to cancel the representation if you don't want them involved. I would.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Your representative is your representative until it's cancelled. If your question is "why didn't my representative send me things after the other applications" then perhaps you should ask your representative.

You need to cancel the representation if you don't want them involved. I would.
Do I need the name of the representative in order to cancel all appointed representatives?
I don’t remember the name of the representative. I do remember the firm but I don’t remember the name of the representative I appointed back in the days.

Last edited: