+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Reference Letters Have an Expiry?

winningstreak

Apr 16, 2021
I've recently submitted my Express Entry Profile and although I haven't received ITA yet, I am planning on contacting all my employers to obtain work reference letters from them. Assuming the ITA comes through 6 months down the line, is the reference letter from 6 months ago at that point in time still going to be valid? I am asking this question in reference to FSWP.

Also, the CIC website does not mention anything about the expiry.

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
I've recently submitted my Express Entry Profile and although I haven't received ITA yet, I am planning on contacting all my employers to obtain work reference letters from them. Assuming the ITA comes through 6 months down the line, is the reference letter from 6 months ago at that point in time still going to be valid? I am asking this question in reference to FSWP.

Also, the CIC website does not mention anything about the expiry.
If it is for previous work should be ok.
If it is for current work it is always good to get updated one.

For example imagine you are assessing someone claiming work for XYZ and submitting a reference letter that is 12 months old as proof of current work. !! If you know what I mean

Reactions: winningstreak

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
As far as I know, they have no official definition of the expiry of work reference. If it's for the previous employments then it should be fine. However, for the current job, it's wise to obtain an up-to-date letter of reference (recommending not over 6-month old). It's for the case that IRCC might ask you for a most recently updated one if they feel uncertain about the submitted letter written a long time ago.

Reactions: winningstreak