+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do PRs need to renew the PR Card every five years?

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Mates,

I am planning to renew my PR card expiring soon. is this process including the Residency Obligations will repeat every 5 years?

Put differently, do I have to be physically in Canada 730 days every 5 years? if yes, the PR was not really any permenant? ;D

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dabas said:
Mates,

I am planning to renew my PR card expiring soon. is this process including the Residency Obligations will repeat every 5 years?Yes, unless you become Citizen

Put differently, do I have to be physically in Canada 730 days every 5 years?Yes, you do if yes, the PR was not really any permenant? ;DIt's permanent if you fulfil the conditions pertaining to your status in Canada

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
dabas said:
Mates,

I am planning to renew my PR card expiring soon. is this process including the Residency Obligations will repeat every 5 years?

Put differently, do I have to be physically in Canada 730 days every 5 years? if yes, the PR was not really any permenant? ;D
To be clear, a PR does not need to renew the PR card. For a PR physically present in Canada, the PR card has no effect on the validity of the PR's status. There are various agencies which might request the PR card to verify the PR's status for purpose of entitlements, like drivers license or health care coverage, resident school tuition, or such. But not having a current PR card does not affect the validity of the PR's status.

To also be clear, the PR Residency Obligation does not repeat every five years, but is an ongoing obligation. During the first five years, the PR meets the PR RO by not being absent for 1095 or more days.

After the fifth year anniversary, the obligation is continuous and based on the immediately preceding five years. For example, for any current PR who landed in 2010 or prior to 2010, regardless how long they have been a PR or when they last got a new PR card, to be in compliance the PR needs to have been present in Canada for 730 days since January 28, 2011 . . . and to be in compliance come March 15, 2016, they will need to have been present 730 days since March 15, 2011. And so on.

Pick any day. Within five years of that day, the PR needs to have been present for 730 days in Canada to be in compliance with the PR RO (or at least have credit as if present, such as for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse).

If a PR goes abroad, however, the PR abroad without a PR card is presumed to not have valid PR status. So to obtain a PR Travel Document, the PR has the burden of proof to show status and compliance with the PR RO.

Permanent Resident status is indeed permanent so long as the PR does not do something to terminate his or her status. Even when the PR does something which is grounds for terminating status, the PR retains PR status unless and until there is a formal adjudication terminating the PR's status . . . unless, of course, the PR dies, becomes a citizen, or formally relinquishes status.

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Dear Depemabill,

Many thxs for your thorough explanation which answered many questions which have been buzzing me since landing. Are Canadian consulates overseas authorised to issue travel document for those who lost PR cards or theirs expired?

When PR come back on travel document and expired card, it becomes mandatory to apply for renewal of PR at which time CIC will challenge his PR status?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diplomatru said:
they won't issue PRTD if your card is expired
Erm.. yes they will. As long as you meet the RO. The purpose of a travel document it to allow a PR to return to Canada who is in the position that he is outside Canada without a valid PR card.

See this answer too at the help centre: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=065&t=10

What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?

If your card expires while outside Canada and you plan to return to Canada by:

Private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to re-enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply to replace your permanent resident (PR) card when you return to Canada.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Erm.. yes they will. As long as you meet the RO. The purpose of a travel document it so allow a PR to return to Canada who is in the position that he is outside Canada without a valid PR card.

See this answer too at the help centre: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=065&t=10
I stand corrected Leon. Thank you for clarifying this issue.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
dabas said:
Mates,

The card is separate from your residency obligations. You never have to renew the card (though it might cause problems if you don't).

You have the right to reside permanently in Canada. You lose that right if you don't exercise it. Permanent is how long you can stay, not how long you can leave.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
You have the right to reside permanently in Canada. You lose that right if you don't exercise it. Permanent is how long you can stay, not how long you can leave.
Perfect explanation kateg :)

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Having applied for PR renewal, can I travel and come back on the current card so long as it is still valid whilst the renewal is being processed?

In other words, do I need to wait for the new card to arrive before I can travel?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nkam said:
Having applied for PR renewal, can I travel and come back on the current card so long as it is still valid whilst the renewal is being processed?

In other words, do I need to wait for the new card to arrive before I can travel?
You can travel on the old card as long as it is valid.

samuelsson

Mar 4, 2016
Hi Please,
I just want to clarify myself on one thing. I am on my first 5 years of my PR. When they mentioned 730 days in 5 years, are my suppose to start counting from the day i landed in canada or the day i got my travelling papers to migrate to canada? I am a little bit confused about this. Can any body help me how this is done?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
From the date of landing.